Eternal Lands Official Forums
piiia

Rostogols and fresh Players

this morning i was searching the market for a rostogol stone.

i dont need to tell the most of you that the price is at 57kgc atm.

"ok!", i said to myself, "then you dont need to fight piiia, you will be stuck on your levels for another year!"

im not comlaining, cause i dont need to level much more. my a/d is high enough to be ignored by most of the monsters. i just wanted to have that rosto to enter an invance, since there you meet some people you would'nt trust your nmt!

but my mind was looking back at the times when i was struggeling hard to get my first CoL. it takes some time to earn the coins, when you are not able to farm chims, yetis or dragons! and OMG i was dying so many times training ogres or cyclops. back then the rostos were about 16kgc and way easier to find.

i imagined how it would be when i started playing these days. if i was just able to get the gc's for a CoL, probably having harvested and mixed for 2 weeks, and got a rostogol stone after another week in the caves, and then died afterthe 5th ogre.. frustrating!

would i buy another rosto, after 2 weeks of mixing?

would i go back to train without rosto, risking losing my items?

or would i just say no, i will look for another game?

my idea is now to have some different rostos with different values.

the usage could also be limited by a/d levels, so that high levels cant use the minor rostos.

1. white rosto: protects equipment and inventory (for invance, pk, instance), 120-200 a/d

2. blue rosto: protects equipment, 80-120 a/d

3. pink rosto: protects only parts of the equipment, 4 slots maybe, 0-80 a/d

i hope you like the suggestion! it just came into my mind and i wanted to share the idea with you. i havent thought about the economy, pk or radu's point of view (shop) yet. and maybe also two different types are already enough. so there is lots of space for discussion. i found an interesting post from 2006 as well, that is a bit different from my idea, so i created a new post.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26204&st=0&p=275981&&do=findComment&comment=275981

Edited by piiia

you DON'T need good gear to train, these are luxury items, and shouldn't be easy to obtain.

Yeah it's pretty unappealing for new players, especially with the emphasis on invances. Either they lose their gear or they lose their expensive rostos, then they quit. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE

you DON'T need good gear to train, these are luxury items, and shouldn't be easy to obtain.

I agree with you, scarr. You don't need the best gear to train. I'm doing well in my augmented leather set for a while now.

However, you need good stuff to enter and enjoy instances (probably, never cared to try one) and you need good gear (as a rule) to enter an invance. Unless you are prepared to lose it this or that way, you're forced to have a rostogol stone.

As for the original suggestion. I do not see a way providing different rostogol stones for different levels change anything. Unless you make the ones for lower levels easier to find.

Make 0-80 rosto manufacturable. Ings 1 ewe, 1 ele, 500 gypsum. 80-120 rosto rare chance mix of 0-80. Or make it 0-80 rosto + 1 enrich stone.

My guess is 0-80 will balance around 15k. 80-120 around 32k. This would also give more use to ewe.

I agree with Piiiiia and Geoff but I would limit it to 2 rostos, one for general training (fairly cheap) and the other for invances, instances, PK, invasions (about same price as now - 55kish)

Not sure if it could be done but could a rosto be programmed to only react to a PK kill or red banner (invasion) monster? conversely could it be programmed to react only to a 'normal' mob kill?

Well scarr/vanyel, to train on frost troll/yeti onwards, you do need good gear, and thus a rosto. Then you lag while training and lose 57k, which is what, 10 hours of farming? lol

Anyway, fixing the rosto situation would be nice but i presume radu wouldn't want to do anything to affect his big money maker (good forward vision ftw)

I like this idea too. From what i have been reading a lot of newer players lose their gear and give up because 1. rostos are too expensive and 2. getting your gear back, whatever that may be, takes "forever". I understand their feelings. Sure, EL is a game of patience but if we want more players it might be a good idea to give them a break? Its all about having fun and spending a outrageous amount of time just to be able to go to an invance isnt very fun at all.

well having seen discussions on rosto prices for a number of years i thaught it ok to post.

El has allways had that element of loss that you had to insure

somehow

Prices are fine for seasoned veterans, difficult for aspiring members of the community and borderline inhibitive in the poor ( new ) players.

Perhaps if I was to suggest any part of an alternative it would be :

TO INCLUDE THE GODS MORE IN THE STRUCTURE OF THE GAME EVEN HAVE THEM GIVE DIFFERING PROTECTIVE CHANCES ALONG WITH STONES PERTAINING TO DIFFERENT LEVELS OF GAME PLAY AS SUGGESTED.

sorry for caps, it was like a brain fart on acid

Make 0-80 rosto manufacturable. Ings 1 ewe, 1 ele, 500 gypsum. 80-120 rosto rare chance mix of 0-80. Or make it 0-80 rosto + 1 enrich stone.

My guess is 0-80 will balance around 15k. 80-120 around 32k. This would also give more use to ewe.

I like this idea, it will allow the newer players more afordable protection and no change for the "Pr0s"

Rostos are expensive and so they should be, for ppl that can afford them, they protect your expensive kit whether you're training or pking. Giving the lower levels a cheaper alternative is a good step in the right direction. I don't think this would effect Radus shop sales for rostos as the higher level players would still need the real deal.

It was fine to have a rosto as a newb when they were 15k but to expect a new player to fork out 55k, almost 4 times as much for the same thing is barking. Monster drops haven't increased considerably over the years so for a newb to save up and protect their kit it's a difficult task. What they consider at the time to be good kit (the best they have) is likely cheaper than the price of a rosto and the risk of losing it is demoralising.

+1 for looking after the newbs

Davy

thank you all for your posts!

we know that its all a question of supply and demand. the more pink rostos can be found the less they cost! omg i so much wish they will be pink!

like vanyel, i pick up the topic of invances:

i gave up the wish that the prices of the current rostogols will go down, especially after there are invances, where many of them disappear.

besides the training aspect, one of the reasons why i wanted a graduation for the rostos (e.g. white, blue, pink) is, as vanyel said, that there are rules to follow, e.g. "to enter with good armor". for a new player its as hard to lose a steel set like its for a highlevel player to lose their icy armor. so they want to protect it too, but cant afford a rosto. sure, you dont need to enter every single invance. but the invances are really fun, not just exp, and people love them. i would like to see that even new players can take part more often.

:medieval:

i hope its possible to bind an item to someones levels. if not, maybe someone got a better idea!

Expand the Gods influence in EL to include differing protection alongside afore mentioned stones. You could quest to keep the protection much like dailys. Except you visit the shrine to keep your lvl of extra protection against items up. Miss out on a few God visits and your protection lvls drop.

This could be in collusion with other benefits AND draw backs to serving a certain God. Theres allways room for more Story and more '' world '' if the Gods become stronger.

I agree that having several kinds of rosto could help new players. However I would not bind it with players' level but rather with the level of the items they wear.

As an example, we could have a cheap rosto that can be made like Rabbitman proposed but which would protect only items up to human nexus 5.

This cheap rosto should not work in instances though or at least not in the higher ones (it'll still protect the items but you'll leave the instance).

I like schmurk's suggestion. How about lowest rosto works up to human 3, next level human 5 and final level same as it is now.

What about capes, essences, pots, rings, etc?

As a newish player, who is an all rounder, I dislike Schmurk's suggestion that the rosto be tied to human nexus. I have not done one invance or instance yet, my a/d is less than 60 but my human nexus is 10 (for artificier cape!). I am working hard to gear up and get my magic level at a comfortable level, then I will try an invance.

However, I do like the idea of rostos being level related!

I'm still saving for gear purchases and purchasing books (some are quite expensive!). The cost of a rosto right now is not an additional expense that I'm willing to do. If I wait to purchase rosto for invance, I'll probably end up in 80-100 range instead of starting with 40-60 :(

As a newish player, who is an all rounder, I dislike Schmurk's suggestion that the rosto be tied to human nexus. (...)

(...) However I would not bind it with players' level but rather with the level of the items they wear. (...)

As a newish player, who is an all rounder, I dislike Schmurk's suggestion that the rosto be tied to human nexus. I have not done one invance or instance yet, my a/d is less than 60 but my human nexus is 10 (for artificier cape!). I am working hard to gear up and get my magic level at a comfortable level, then I will try an invance.

However, I do like the idea of rostos being level related!

I'm still saving for gear purchases and purchasing books (some are quite expensive!). The cost of a rosto right now is not an additional expense that I'm willing to do. If I wait to purchase rosto for invance, I'll probably end up in 80-100 range instead of starting with 40-60 :(

More feedback is needed from early all rounders such as Amaara, those who are genuinely immersing themselves in this game from lvl 0 - ? are the future of EL.

Without knowing it, a class system has emerged in EL where some are able to loop themselves into a huge GC generating machine where we are talking millions and millions of GC or items entering the game. However, this GC does end up in the hands of mixers and opportunists such as myself.

Perhaps where this cash machine class system I am referring to is concerned, the price of a rosto is almost towards the bottom of the '' bothered'' list.

But for newer players and those with less time to intensely farm EL, such gameplay is on another level all together.

I'm also an allrounder.

Why ? :confused:

Because i decided to play a game who relax me and where i can have fun.

What is fun for me ? :confused:

To do what i want ! Sometimes a bit alchemy, sometimes a bit potioning, engineering... AND sometimes making invance/instance

What's the difference between mixing and fighting, if we look it about rosto use. :confused:

When you mix, you have very small chances to die (loosing an expensiv rosto actually), when you fight, you have a good chance to die.

I'm attempted to be in the same logic as Schmurk.

:omg: And one other thing, if you have a house who cost 1'000'000, your insurance would be higher than if you rent a house for 2'000 each month. It's not depending of the power nor of the Karate level you have.

So, i think, IF different rostos would be available, they must have an item related and not level related price.

What about capes, essences, pots, rings, etc?

IMO, they should also be protected by cheap rostos. And having exceptions for some items could be harder to code too.

The required human nexus for capes could be adapted to work with this though. Same for the bows...

sorry lilla.. but i loled :D

whatever.. i still prefer it to be level-based. but it may be because i composed this idea around the newbies. :wub:

it should be something like the newbie storage and the dying without consequences till level 20. you get the feeling of growing up like the invances and instances do.

Elven bow and Night Visor are human 0, yet very expensive.

Artificer cape is human 10, but probably not even worth as much as a medium rosto (20k-ish)

Looks like human nexus is also not a good measure.

I do like the idea of giving newbies (not people who reset) a cheaper alternative.

When I started rostos were around 10k and found in decent amounts while harvesting, now if a newbie even finds one, they are too valuable to use.

Why not just keep the rosto how it is? it works fine how it is now sure it may cost 56~56k but they are $5 each so it's not that hard to get them if your really poor buy some from radu you'll be happy and it will help the game to stay up and running

but if you are training with a rosto and you die with it in 5 monsters why would you train on it? that should show you your not ready to train on that mob