Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
puntise

Umlauts!

This is a very minor thing:

Players like myself, typing in German with an English keyboard (and presumably this applies to all players typing in any language using special characters with an English keyboard), can't type them the conventional way. What I mean is...

ALT + 148 = ö

ALT + 129 = ü

ALT + 132 = ä

ALT + 134 = å

ALT + 0248 = ø

ALT + 0230 = æ

Don't work. The list is endless really, but basically, you can't type them like this in game, short of using Character Map to copy and paste every one.

Edited by puntise

serious:

Basically you need a german software layout.

[17:44:44] roman_gruber: ÖöÖÖöö

[17:45:01] roman_gruber: äÄ

I replaced my notebook keyboard with an us keyboard. It*s still the same function.

You need a german keyboard software layout, and thats depends on your operating system...

I can type as you can see, I have a phyiscal us keyboard now, and I use 64bit gnu-linux.

The problem with anything non-ascii is that the SDL keyboard system wasn't design for foreign keyboards, so is anything is always a hack and can break easily depending on h/w & OS.

I use US-international keyboard layout. Easy to do in both linux and windows (ask if you need help), no idea about Mac.

I use US-international keyboard layout. Easy to do in both linux and windows (ask if you need help), no idea about Mac.

Yes, a bunch of hacks have already gone in that help the US international keyboard work better with EL. That's a compliment to the commitment to the EL developer that have been working on that.