Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doctoxic

Questions from a new player

Hi all

Just started this game and working my way through the tutorial quests. I have a few questions though that i hope someone can help with....

1) On the Novac quest to "kill a brownie" is it a particular one, a certain number or random or what, only i must have killed more than 20 of the little buggers and i still can't complete the quest.

2) On the subject of killing Brownies is there a trick to targeting them (or anything) only it seems very fiddly.

3) I'm finding the camera view/path finding very jerky and i think its making my eyes go squiffy - is there any way to have FPS view and just see out of the characters eyes?

4) And finally any general tips you would give a new player?

Many thanks

Doc

1. I think it is great that you do the tutorial quests, but as a rule, we are not allowed to give information about them in the Forum so I cannot answer your first question.

2. Zoom in (scrollwheel) on them

3. alt-f will give you fps view

4. http://el-wiki.net is a great place to start. It offers a lot of information about the game. Also the skill section in this forum has some great guides in it.

1) Whilst we cant give specific quest info - it is safe to say it is a particular brownie - ie staying at a spawn and repeatedly killing the same one wont work... it is just a case of finding the right brownie.

p.s. join channel 1 in game and ask there - lots of peopke who can help you there

#jc1

@hi there

Thanks both for the general tips

@Raz

thanks for clarifying the quest instructions because i was tempted to stay at a spawn point - so i need to wander all over the maps to get the right animal

@DonC

Alt-f doesn't seem to do anything

On the question of targeting is there anyway to lock onto a creature so you auto follow and auto attack?

cheers

doc

(left) alt-f works for me, but I use an ubuntu laptop, perhaps it is different on a windows or mac.

No, there isn't :(

Hope you are having fun playing :)

For camera movement - have you tried clicking and holding down the middle mouse button? That gives you a free view to set the camera as desired.

Since you're a new player, I also want to take this chance to warn you about instance enter scams - some people (check disputes forum for more info) have scammed people by luring them through the rooms in the MM battle hall. Just to warn you, all 3 rooms in the battle hall are PK rooms - instances are entered from the NPC in the first part of the battle hall only. Don't trust anyone that tries to get you in the back rooms.

2) On the subject of killing Brownies is there a trick to targeting them (or anything) only it seems very fiddly.

No tricks. Just the sword cursor and a bit of luck. But don't dispair, those are the smallest critters in-game, generally it's not so tough to engage a creature. Also just check your latency is within an acceptable range (type #ping). It should be below 400~.

3) I'm finding the camera view/path finding very jerky and i think its making my eyes go squiffy - is there any way to have FPS view and just see out of the characters eyes?

I wouldnt recommend FPS as regular camera view.

If you're speaking about "Follow Camera"[ctr-o --> camera tab -->] or a similar option, adjust the rotation settings if they are to sharp.

The jitters may also be attributed to computer performance. If your PC is old or doesnt have strong graphics, take some time to review your settings in "ctrl-o". This may radically improve gameplay IF its the issue (and adjusted correctly).

4) And finally any general tips you would give a new player?

Join an active guild. Join an active channel. Learn and chat. Chat and learn.

Thanks for all the tips (and warnings) guys - much appreciated. Really enjoying it so far :)

However - more questions.

I want to harvest Quartz to use to buy some empty vials (i think the trader only accepts quartz and not money?)

Anyway, I have bought a pick axe and got Nexus 1 in 'inorganic'. The thing i am struggling with is the need for "Knowledge of Quartz mining".

I have bought a book of "Quartz mining" but haven't seen how to convert this to knowledge?

Also do i need to have the books for Crystal Technology and Crystal Mining before i can use the Quartz mine book?

many thanks

doc

Yes you do need to read crystal technology and crystal mining first (click the 'use' icon i.e. the pointy finger and click the book you want to read and wait, you get a message when you read the book).

I advise you to use channel 1 (type '#jc 1'), where you can get instant answers to a lot of your questions.

Vials are cheaper from another NPC and you don't need quarts.

Besides channel 1, you could always read up at that wiki site I gave you ;)

hello :)

oh at the bottom of screen you find an icon with a '?' on it

there you find the help section and in there the Newbe FAQ..

good luck and have fun :)

and have a look into options menue too, camera settings

change the min and max tilt angel, or switch on off follow cam...

another quick question

i am doing the Seridian Journey quest and got told to go to Tarsengard Magic School - however i don't know what to do there to get the next destination in the quest. I have entered the building and spoken to people i met - but nothing. Any suggestions welcomed

thanks

doc

another quick question

i am doing the Seridian Journey quest and got told to go to Tarsengard Magic School - however i don't know what to do there to get the next destination in the quest. I have entered the building and spoken to people i met - but nothing. Any suggestions welcomed

thanks

doc

Have you tried going up the stairs, and looking around there? :)

hmmm

very frustrated :(

i think i went everywhere in the school - but it was huge, ended up stuck in some maze underground (am hopeless at puzzles) and randomly got out by stumbling across a teleport to whitestone

also ended up with 2 impossible quests (one for food and one for rings, neither of which i will ever be able to afford)

all i want to do is complete the journey quest but have absolutely no idea who i need to speak to

help me EL dudes you are my only hope

doc

It is not a difficult quest. Even though it is easy, dont spend all your time on quests. Do some harvesting. Train on rabbits, beavers, wolf, deer, or whatever you are able to. Do the easy daily quests like haidir and xaliene. Come back to your big quests when you have the patience to do so.

If you truly cannot get through a quest you can easily find walk through info for almost every single quest.

Be patient playing this game. We are in it for the long haul. You wont be finished tommorow and there is never a "game over".