Eternal Lands Official Forums
Caliphear

God Please Save PK - Fighters

OK Seems no one started the thread for just plain fighters. Here are a few points made on the original thread.

Remember this is a duscussion not a place for flaming. Please stick to the topic with suggestions/discussions to help all of EL. No "me me me" comments please.

Quote from orignal post : "Competitive meaning, my opponent does something, and I can respond in a meaningful way, and this carries on until one of the opponents makes a mistake(which is taken advantage of) or one of the opponents have a superior strategy of winning or greater level of skill responding to situations"

1.) Arrows + Sword - simply op and rediculous.

2.) Re-working the special swords armors like OSOMN etc, so that they are still powerful, but not a definable win

3.) Look at tweaking other great swords to radio-acitve or at least useful other then training or breaking for a quest.

4.) Branch of destruction should be removed, it puts fear into new pkers to the point they choose to never play due to the fear it invokes.

5.) Too many allies or too strong of guilds.

Lets start with one at a time, I think it will be easier to implement change if we focus on one thing at a time.

If we focus on removing branch effect, we need a reasonable alternative for that 200k+ item

Even if it wasnt removed changes still could be made to it like:

The brod breaks when it degrades/breaks an item

make it have a chance to break 1/20 hits

nmt cape/perk doesnt effect the 1/20 hit break rate

Note: I do not have the slightest clue about the programming side of this, and whether it would even be possible. Just putting in my 2cents.

Remove branch effect, and in compensation, instead of having armor degrade, then destroy, just make it gradually take damage so that it will pretty much always need repairs. In other games, each hit you take from an opponent will damage your armor, and each hit you deal will damage your weapon. In some of these games, once you get to 0 durability, you will have to 'fix' it using a special item. With the special quests in mind, you could even say:

An armor will have 350/350 durability when totally repaired. You can repair it (maybe at a special NPC for this) for gc, or you can let it degrade, and once it gets below 50/350 durability, it automatically degrades into a 'used' version. You might allow people to reverse this and fix the gear by paying, i dont know, a binding stone, a bunch of bars and some leather or cloth or something. Or players could chose to just use it up even further for the quest's sake.

No thoughts on what to do with the branch of destruction tho, i guess you could use it to stir soup, or, idk, morph it into some sort of new magical staff for mages, being an item required to cast certain new AOE spells like a nice group heal?

Note: I do not have the slightest clue about the programming side of this, and whether it would even be possible. Just putting in my 2cents.

Remove branch effect, and in compensation, instead of having armor degrade, then destroy, just make it gradually take damage so that it will pretty much always need repairs. In other games, each hit you take from an opponent will damage your armor, and each hit you deal will damage your weapon. In some of these games, once you get to 0 durability, you will have to 'fix' it using a special item. With the special quests in mind, you could even say:

An armor will have 350/350 durability when totally repaired. You can repair it (maybe at a special NPC for this) for gc, or you can let it degrade, and once it gets below 50/350 durability, it automatically degrades into a 'used' version. You might allow people to reverse this and fix the gear by paying, i dont know, a binding stone, a bunch of bars and some leather or cloth or something. Or players could chose to just use it up even further for the quest's sake.

No thoughts on what to do with the branch of destruction tho, i guess you could use it to stir soup, or, idk, morph it into some sort of new magical staff for mages, being an item required to cast certain new AOE spells like a nice group heal?

Morhing it to a magic weapon was my first thought too Dilly

Nerfing the brod effect by reducing the chances or making it more breakable will still not solve the problem. It needs to go away completely imho.

No matter how low the risk, as long as the possibility exists, many people will avoid it all together. I know I basically never went to KF at all before the mage pants. I didn't want to have to fight with a cotu instead of my NMT. I still don't go often, but I'm at least willing to go with mage pants. They still break though, and then you can get brodded if you don't either replace the pants with another pair or quickly dis/tele out.

Giving the current brod some other use or effect (I have no idea what) could be a good solution. Having the NPC buy them back at the orig price could be another option.

2.) Re-working the special swords armors like OSOMN etc, so that they are still powerful, but not a definable win

3.) Look at tweaking other great swords to radio-acitve or at least useful other then training or breaking for a quest.

4.) Branch of destruction should be removed, it puts fear into new pkers to the point they choose to never play due to the fear it invokes.

1. arrows + sword = that one who use it gets -def so you can preaty nice hit him and you can dodge hes hits too with that big -acc its ok imo... if you cant means hes definetly too strong for you so just dis...

2. sword like osomn doesnt do anything, i saw my eyes how osomn worked 2 times in row and a guy kept fighting, most of fighters have more than 90 mana so osomn doesnt burn it all

3. i use just gs for pk :) they are preaty OK :) thous who use thermals rapiers or bronzes just win a lil faster, but personaly i happy with all gs's

4. branch of destruct should have bigger chance to hit. fear? wtf use a damn cotu. and i see it as only one real weapon, its the last chalange what you can give or get in nowadays pk

5. LOL, so whos fault? join NH :P (no i wont take you :D )

If we want to move out BROD and GSM we have to consider what to do with Sunbreaker of Destruction.

Arrows + swords....there is a defense penalty last I checked.

Too many allies and too powerful of guilds....that is a guild by guild decision and it ultimately up to the guildmaster. Some guilds have alot of allies to keep their guild safer from pkers. I wish the pk guilds out there luck with their pk rules, alliances and repercussions for pking someone that has allies who have rules like "pk anyone who attacks an ally"...which will probably lead to political nightmares between them and guilds that they want to be friendly with.

Removing branch of destruction abilities...would remove the fear that a pker gets when someone that does not want to get messed with has when holding what may be a BroD. Mage robe pants make you immune to BroD, right? One of my guildies said he has seem alot of people in mage robe pants lately. Consider the value of mage robe pants if you adjust/remove BroD. (Others in this thread mentioned other items to consider while adjusting BroD)

Ok. Granted I am not a pker and I am posting on this thread, but you always have to consider both sides of the coin.

@Dilly: Change it to 0-255 range for durability and it will make more sense from a programming point of view. That is another 1 byte per armor/weapon though. It would require a modification to the way that items of all types are stored in the database and in memory on the server. Client side should not be affected unless the client needs to display it by some way else than looking at it with the eyeball cursor. Alternatives like having 3-4 states instead of two for armor would use up more item ID numbers. Not sure which Radu would prefer.

Making items with durability will cause new items will be made rarely, this will harm manuers. Maybe a solution would be that repairing under manu skill.

There is one important question, i think, that needs to be answered to come to a balanced PK :

(set aside the fact the tweaking needed on the strength of items and spells)

Do you want PK to be based on single player fights or based on "army" fighting ?

the answer to that question affects all topics on this subject.

If one goes for army fighting you can affort to have mages and rangers that are weaker in a/d ,because your army just needs to have a protection detail for those troops. Tactics/strategy will become important. Do you try to take out the rangers first ? do you use your rangers on one place or use them with an hit and run strategy ?

On a side note: it could be nice (or wise?) imo to limit the number of possible guild-allies

There is one important question, i think, that needs to be answered to come to a balanced PK :

(set aside the fact the tweaking needed on the strength of items and spells)

Do you want PK to be based on single player fights or based on "army" fighting ?

the answer to that question affects all topics on this subject.

If one goes for army fighting you can affort to have mages and rangers that are weaker in a/d ,because your army just needs to have a protection detail for those troops. Tactics/strategy will become important. Do you try to take out the rangers first ? do you use your rangers on one place or use them with an hit and run strategy ?

On a side note: it could be nice (or wise?) imo to limit the number of possible guild-allies

Balance it around Team-based, its a MMO after all.

It shouldn't be a problem if Mages or Rangers are weaker than fighters, but don't make it so they are useless either. and that a good mage still wins from a bad fighter

Lately i was looking at some MUD's (text based games) and i found Aardwolf, and they have a really nice feature, which might be nice to have in Eternal Lands too to revive PK a little bit.

The most important thing is, you will be beamed into an arena, then you will be assigned to one of two possible teams, and then have to fight the enemies.

But: Everybody has the same skill levels, when you are sent to the arena, so everybody has a chance to kill the enemy and vice versa.

For more details, how they implemented this, read here:

http://www.aardwolf.com/lasertag.html

Might be worth to think about a similar feature, because aardwolf is a MUD (yes, a text game!!!!), which has nearly the same amount of players online (around 340) than Eternal Lands, so they are quite successful.

http://www.aardwolf....web/livewho.php

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

next noob crying about pk system...

RE: Take Arrow + Sword too, if you can't hit -> you are noob, keep training

Harvest, earn money , buy them too

just shit point...

You should be removed too... -.-

Just find more strong people that would join ya -> You or your guild -> Noob

I agree with most of Koddys post. People are just looking to change things for the sake of changing them. It isnt going to bring pk back to life by changing these points. People dont want to go to pk areas where they can die or lose items. Just stop complaining and go pk.

I must disagree what Koddy say. Arrow on back is not only OP, it's also looks very silly when using on melee fight, and is unlogical. Also, i think lowering (if not removing) Brod effect stats 5% to 1% would help really increase on PK, for me, and many other i know, BroD is big reason to not go PK. And yes, a Cotu is not answer,because with Cotu you cant wear NMT. And mage skirt? I dont like the idea to drop protection, and it breaks very easy. Also all fighter wearing mage skirts look's a bit silly ;) We had pants,and i want use them. Anyway,that is smaller problem. I feel BroD is the most biggest reason why ppl avoid PK, despite we had items to protect you for it, it's not necessary help if you concentrate other things, (you can't only watch opponent weapon all the time) and the risk you lose your most valuable items in split second before you have time to react still exist. I would really like do some more PK, but if 1 min figh may yield 1 week harv to replace break, it's no more fun.

The_piper said it all....the rest is crap.

Put everyone at same level then people go pk otherwise forget and you can all keep talking since this game started and in 10 years ahead will keep the same speech.

blah blah blah :bangwall:

littlebig, i think i have more pked than u and i have to say it is possible keep swapping weapons/clothes/armors , just depends on ur skills , won't loose exapnsive stuff? go in augs+holam, again - depends on skill/tactic you choose

littlebig, i think i have more pked than u and i have to say it is possible keep swapping weapons/clothes/armors , just depends on ur skills , won't loose exapnsive stuff? go in augs+holam, again - depends on skill/tactic you choose

Yes you pk'd more than him, and mostly you just died.

If you really thing that the PK system couldn't be improved, then i feel sorry for you I guess.

tbh if you can afford a nmt, surely u can afford a pair of pants ...., most people have mage pants anyway, rare occasion some1 gets broded already, sword + fa = op? if u get hit by some1 with FA clearly u are low level .... no point to complain about FA, u should complain about why u cant dodge (noob levels). i reckon its mainly based on fair fights, most new players wouldnt have the man power to go pk

I have mentioned this before in other threads and I will mention it again.

I once played a game where if there was a considerable difference between player levels, they could not fight eachother without the permission of the weaker person.

Since a number of people avoid pk maps due to big strong pkers attacking them when they have no chance of defending themselves at their low a/d levels, forcing you to wait for permission from the weaker person would make the low level fighters less afraid of going on the pk maps. It would also make it so that there could be a couple of low level fighters fighting right next to a pair of high level fighters. The trickiest part would be how to handle the summons that exist in this game.

Such a change would not have to be for all maps. Just one map would probably increase the amount of pk. It would be a trial ground for the implementation.

Well I myself have been playing for a little more then two months and can say walking onto a pk map is pretty scary stuff indeed. The Brod ring n Branch dont scare me being 1 hit and dropping everything I own does though. The Lvl difference is so great that dis rings are of no use to us noobs and the best option seems to be to wait a few years before entering such maps like KF and others. Scary yes but also exciting exploring dangerous areas late at night is what i choose to do. Lvl based pk and arena stuff sounds fun or even guild wars in the battlehall with a reward for the Victorious !!!! Plain and simple to see the problem with pk in my eyes ppl would rather not drop or break things so if their was lets say a guild war or 5 vs 5 in battlehall with no drops or breaks I would definetly participate for an exp reward.

mememe seems like, sorry if my post isn't helpful to ya sir.

The Brod ring n Branch dont scare me being 1 hit and dropping everything I own does though.

KF is no drop, DP arena is no drop + single combat + capped levels and attributes

Lately i was looking at some MUD's (text based games) and i found Aardwolf, and they have a really nice feature, which might be nice to have in Eternal Lands too to revive PK a little bit.

The most important thing is, you will be beamed into an arena, then you will be assigned to one of two possible teams, and then have to fight the enemies.

But: Everybody has the same skill levels, when you are sent to the arena, so everybody has a chance to kill the enemy and vice versa.

For more details, how they implemented this, read here:

http://www.aardwolf.com/lasertag.html

Might be worth to think about a similar feature, because aardwolf is a MUD (yes, a text game!!!!), which has nearly the same amount of players online (around 340) than Eternal Lands, so they are quite successful.

http://www.aardwolf....web/livewho.php

Piper

I'd like to amend that players should be then beamed to a text-based arena:

> You have entered the arena.

> You joined red team.

> Choose your action:

rod enemy

[E]vade attack

[C]ast spell

[A]ttack

se item

witch weapon