Eternal Lands Official Forums
Panatella

Doing a readme.txt in Git

I have good analytics skill and like to test new software (like i did for hospital related software before they was implemented). But i have to make this remark, beside the excellent work and time invested to improve the client.

This was a discussion i had on gm today:

(speaking about testing new OGL client and give a feedback to Xaphier)

#GM from Lillaka: no readme to tell what the prerequisite (libs) are and nothing who tell you what to type (like make makedefault.linux)

#GM from WWWWW: arf yes, I don't remember what xaphier is using... some time ago he used scons but maybe it has changed

#GM from YYYYY: cmake

#GM from XXXXX: ok

#GM from Lillaka: wanted to test and help xaphier but... go to hell if they are not able to make a simply readme.txt with dependences & command to compile

#GM from ZZZZZ: that what i said to him too

#GM from Lillaka: i thought it's the basic in informatics to make something comprehensive

#GM from VVVVV: I think I compiled it on my old PC, let me look at it lilla...

#GM from Lillaka: don't spend more time

#GM from PPPPP: you need the headers of a library and put it in /usr/include or in /usr/local/include

this is the raw discussion (sorry i say what i think and don't truncate or modify my sayings).

Fact is:

I'm noob in informatics (have only beginner experiences with compiling on Debian systems)

I have confirmed experience in testing Software / make rapports using a predefined rapport sheet provided by the programmers

So please:

Make a comprehensive Readme.txt for people who have different skills than you and want to help. I don't want to ask IG or search the infos on the forum and spend (loose) time i can use to test or simply play.

Example

Make a little 0.1 Version of a sheet what to write down for information if something happens (crash, anormal render). This could be a simple "please write down coords/map + ensure you can reproduce the bug" - "for animal fighting render errors try to activate option XXXX and reproduce this. If .... then write down ...."

It's just to tell HOW to proceed and make it interesting for "noob" people who want to test this client

The better you did it, the better the feedback would be => the less time you loose to asking back the tester with questions you could directly ask via this sheet.

And why not make it more deeper like:

There are 4 types of animation of an animal/monster:

- Stay on place

- Walk

- Fight (maybe sub categories like - attack receive - defense give ...)

- Die

Please give info in what of these 4 types the bug happened....

Voilà

Lillaka chief of Software design in RAMDisk of the multicore GPU 128 bit SVGA MMX inside

Edited by Panatella

Nearly every piece of software you can download has a README.TXT and/or an INSTALL.TXT.

Why not follow this *convention* and do the same for EL?

Piper

Nearly every piece of software you can download has a README.TXT and/or an INSTALL.TXT.

Why not follow this *convention* and do the same for EL?

Piper

Perhaps groomsh planed to make more build info file or it was too late when it was added. I changed to to INSTALL.TXT, thanks :)