Eternal Lands Official Forums
tokie

Game Crash

To all concerned :

I do not know if everyone will have this issue or not, but...F.Y.I. when I entered one of our Guild Maps I got booted from the Game and Windows 7 told me it was looking to resolve the issue,then stopped looking and told me it would contact me when a solution was found. Till then, I'm stuck and cannot play Eternal Lands...at all.

tokie

The mapfile contains objects named ./objects2d/objects2d/ground/* which do not exist and the new FASTER_MAP_LOAD define does not check loading errors properly. Patch has been sent to Sir_Odie.

Edited by ago

Patch is committed to git but the owner of that map should correct it, as the patch only prevents the client from crashing, the objects are still missing on that map.

Patch is committed to git but the owner of that map should correct it, as the patch only prevents the client from crashing, the objects are still missing on that map.

So how do i get back in game?

ty

the_grud

So how do i get back in game?

ty

the_grud

Trying removing the map and replacing it with a blank map w/no objects.

If you crash immediately on login - your char will need to moved. Try to contact a mod from an alt who can try to tele you.

Or using old client.

I've had the same problem, some time ago on our guild map. Deleting the map did not help. Get a mod to teleport you out of the map just as you log in. It can take a few tries, but that's how I got out. I reported the problem in game and to radu, but hadn't had time to help narrow down the problem so it never made it to the forum ;).

Any chance the game can be fixed since these maps used to work fine? Or can we get free updates since they did previously work.

I've had the same problem, some time ago on our guild map. Deleting the map did not help. Get a mod to teleport you out of the map just as you log in. It can take a few tries, but that's how I got out. I reported the problem in game and to radu, but hadn't had time to help narrow down the problem so it never made it to the forum ;).

Any chance the game can be fixed since these maps used to work fine? Or can we get free updates since they did previously work.

Use an updated git build.

The map *does* have a bug. previous method of loading maps used to check for those. New way doesn't. ago's patch restores that functionality.

I tried to download the patch and I got a white n blue box telling me : This program can't start because SDL_image.dll is mising from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. Any clues as to what I should do next ?

hmm, i found the SDL_image.dll in my old backup folder before 1.9.3 client..

seems it was part of the old version, so install client from download site here

and then the patch, hope this helps :)

hmm, i found the SDL_image.dll in my old backup folder before 1.9.3 client..

seems it was part of the old version, so install client from download site here

and then the patch, hope this helps :)

Believe it or not, I tried it,and the old version is no longer available ...so I am at a stand still until I can figure out another solution. At this point, I am willing to PAY Radu a Pay-Pal fee to take over my Computer via remote control,to see if He can get it to work...I am THAT frustrated with it. But I will not give up on Eternal Lands and return to Rohan's Blood Feud. I will stick it out,through thick and thin,to make sure that this issue gets resolved in some way,shape or form,so that I may then return the favor to other players in Eternal Lands. I have made Eternal Lands "My Game" the only Game that choose to play. I thank you for your time and wisdom, and concerns for this issue involving Guild Maps in Eternal Lands. If there is ever anything I can do to repay you for your kindness,by all means,let me know. Respectfully, Mr. T.C. Cross / aka Tokie

Believe it or not, I tried it,and the old version is no longer available ...so I am at a stand still until I can figure out another solution. At this point, I am willing to PAY Radu a Pay-Pal fee to take over my Computer via remote control,to see if He can get it to work...I am THAT frustrated with it. But I will not give up on Eternal Lands and return to Rohan's Blood Feud. I will stick it out,through thick and thin,to make sure that this issue gets resolved in some way,shape or form,so that I may then return the favor to other players in Eternal Lands. I have made Eternal Lands "My Game" the only Game that choose to play. I thank you for your time and wisdom, and concerns for this issue involving Guild Maps in Eternal Lands. If there is ever anything I can do to repay you for your kindness,by all means,let me know. Respectfully, Mr. T.C. Cross / aka Tokie

This file: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/SDL_image-1.2.12-win32.zip

contains the current SDL_image.dll

copy it to your EL program folder (the one with the el.exe) and run EL

if there are more errors you may need to copy some of the other dll files too (zlib.dll, libpng15-15.dll)

Dear Wuffzel,

I re-downloaded it and then tried to insert the patch,and it still tells me : SDL_image.dll is missing and needs to be installed. I'm totally at a loss now. Honestly...if you think YOU can get it to work, I'd even consider allowing you a remote access to attempt to find and fix the issue.

I am completly stumped at this point, and I am seriously considering erasing the entire Guild Map and starting over from scratch with just a full PK map on a piece of grass and nothing more...

Respectfully,

Tokie

It sounds to me like the dll probably needs to be registered with Windows. You should be able to do this on the command line with regsvr32 like so:

regsvr32 SDL_image.dll

If you're using Win7 make sure to start the command prompt as the administrator (right-click on the icon and you'll see the option.)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true

I tried to download the patch and I got a white n blue box telling me : This program can't start because SDL_image.dll is mising from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. Any clues as to what I should do next ?

Just copy the el.exe into your EL folder. Don't run it from the download folder.

Woah ! Okay,let me slow everything and everyone down here for just a second,and let you all in on something. Six 1/2 years ago I was in an on the job accident. I was tore up by a loose fire hose and got my lower back crushed. I used to Mountain Climb,Canoe,Hunt,Fish Hike and Camp...and never once had I even turned on a Computer by myself. I was,(and still am) a complete Computer Idiot. I knew,(and still know) nothing about Computers that was,until my real life brother Jim,(then MusclesMalone in game) bought me one and brought it to me,assembled it,and showed me where the power button was. He then showed me how to make,send and receive e-mails. The next thing He did,was to download and show me Eternal Lands. At this point in time,I have since learned how to use Face Book, and change my search engines when needed,but I am getting lost as far as files,git,and gif and dll and all these things you all are telling me about.

And yes, I will admit that I had to allow MusclesMalone remote access to place the Guild Maps in the Program files,(I think that's where He put them) and now that He's locked-up, I have no-one to do these things for me,(though I HAVE attempted to do so on my own)...but now I am lost. So...now you know that I need more help than just ideas on what to try next. This is also the reason I never go to the other server and do the PK Server thing either. I don't try new things Radu posts like the rest of you because I don't know what to type and place where,or how to even get there,let alone attempt new things like the patches that can,(somehow) be removed and such...I just wait for the new update that Radu post's,then click it after He says it's time to do so.He said it was okay,and to download the new version,we (Taini and I)did so,and now there are issues beyond our control.

I know I will now catch flack by admitting these things to you,but I also want you all to know that,prior to Eternal Lands,my life was complete and I was a Haz-Mat Response Tech. for Operating Engineers Union Local #324 out of Southfield Michigan as well as a Heavy Machine Operator,(Dozers,Excavators and the likes) and I was taking care of Toxic Spills and Industrial Waste Compounds for not only the people around me,but the populations that will come after I am long gone. So I ask you to please not judge me too harshly,and to allow me the chance to learn something new,even if I do have to allow remote access again,I will learn. Just as I did before,when MusclesMalone remote Access'd my Computer before,(when I had XP) and then "I did the Guild Maps on my Wife's Computer" ! Show me once,and I'll do it a Thousand times...the problem now,is we both have upgraded to Windows 7,and I have not been shown yet. But rest assured that,once I am shown, I will pass it on like always.

With all due respect,

Mr. Thomas Carl Cross / aka Tokie

Edited by tokie

tldr; not great with computers, would like more help.

although what they're asking you to do is really basic, there's not much more they can do via an online forum

Can we just have the 1/9/2/ version back until this,*ahem* update gets fixed ? This has went from Radu's dream of a simple and fun game that is easy to download and play...to a clusterfuk nightmare for all who have been forced to use the new version,and these *again AHEM* patches are as useful as a band-aid on a broken leg. The common player who don't know the proper way to manipulate programs,may as well abandon this game and go back to playing their Play Station 3 or X-Box 360 because this shit's gotten way out of hand now. I have loved Eternal Lands from the very first day I saw it and made my character...but lately it's pissing me off so badly I'd rather bathe the dog,take out the trash and watch CNN or FOX World news and scream at the screen over how stupid our Government has gotten,than scream at NewDope for being such a pompus ass with His Elven outside DP ArenA # 1.

If this don't get fixed soon,there will be even less players than ever before. Watch and see.

Respectfully,

Tokie

Tokie, if you read nothing else, read this, which we, the mods you ranted against earlier, have tried to tell you before:

The problem is your buggy guild map, NOT the update. The patch you were given is a way for the client to work around YOUR bugs in YOUR map. The patches work both for Linux and Windows, they have been tested by other users on your map. Multiple mods helped multiple guild members multiple times. Meanwhile, you all were told to fix your map, and until that was done, to stay off of it, and if you still insist on going onto it, bring rings and essences.

The patch is only a workaround, and a courtesy to you at that, until you fix your map. The bug is not in the game, it is in your map and it is not anybody affiliated with EL's fault that you can't install the patch properly. Many people have tried to help you, Taini, and others in your guild.

Your guild map is your responsibility, including fixing the bugs.

For everyone else's info: The only difference in the new client is that it is not fudging your buggy guild map info to make it work any more. Those of you saying it's the game's fault because it used to work are incorrect. The maps were and/or are buggy. They need to be fixed.

Wow thats Nice, is that how you speak to everyone who does something for you for free?

I believe sony has bugs as well no, iirc something about one or two users having security issues or something minor, nothing as serious as a few issues with a new update.

Id suggest you go bathe the dog, and post when it is relevant and constructive

Tokie, if you read nothing else, read this, which we, the mods you ranted against earlier, have tried to tell you before:

The problem is your buggy guild map, NOT the update. The patch you were given is a way for the client to work around YOUR bugs in YOUR map. The patches work both for Linux and Windows, they have been tested by other users on your map. Multiple mods helped multiple guild members multiple times. Meanwhile, you all were told to fix your map, and until that was done, to stay off of it, and if you still insist on going onto it, bring rings and essences.

The patch is only a workaround, and a courtesy to you at that, until you fix your map. The bug is not in the game, it is in your map and it is not anybody affiliated with EL's fault that you can't install the patch properly. Many people have tried to help you, Taini, and others in your guild.

Your guild map is your responsibility, including fixing the bugs.

For everyone else's info: The only difference in the new client is that it is not fudging your buggy guild map info to make it work any more. Those of you saying it's the game's fault because it used to work are incorrect. The maps were and/or are buggy. They need to be fixed.