Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Client update compile options

I've been running for a long time with two extra features enabled:

FEATURES += FASTER_STARTUP # An attempt to reduce the startup time of EL somewhat

FEATURES += MIDDLE_MOUSE_PASTE # Paste using the middle mouse button from the primary buffer on X systems

Edited by bluap

FEATURES += MIDDLE_MOUSE_PASTE # Paste using the middle mouse button from the primary buffer on X systems

Is this an option that can be turned on/off in the options? Does it only work in text fields when you have the mouse over them?

Is this an option that can be turned on/off in the options? Does it only work in text fields when you have the mouse over them?

It's Grum's feature. Only included for Linux though I did find a minor ommission while checking the full details. The windowing syetem on Linux uses middle mouse click to paste the last selected text into the current window. This feature copies that design but only pastes into the main input area and only when you have the console open.

Edited by bluap

Is this an option that can be turned on/off in the options?

As bluap noted, this is an option that is only enabled for Linux, and changes EL to behave more like any other X11 application. Since the option does nothing on other operating systems, and implements behaviour that most Linux users are accustomed to, I think a configuration option is overkill.

Does it only work in text fields when you have the mouse over them?

The windowing syetem on Linux uses middle mouse click to paste the last selected text into the current window. This feature copies that design but only pastes into the main input area and only when you have the console open.

Dang. Actually, that's a minor bug, and it should also work for other text fields. In fact, given the comment above the offending line, it's amazing that noone's noticed this before (and it also shows how well I test my code, I wonder how this slipped by) :P Patch:

diff --git a/widgets.c b/widgets.c
index 204da06..75194f8 100755
--- a/widgets.c
+++ b/widgets.c
@@ -2756,7 +2756,7 @@ int text_field_click(widget_list *w, int mx, int my, Uint32 flags)
#if !defined OSX && !defined WINDOWS
#ifdef MIDDLE_MOUSE_PASTE
       // Don't handle middle button clicks (paste) if the text field is not editable
-       if (buttons == ELW_MID_MOUSE)
+       if (buttons == ELW_MID_MOUSE && !(w->Flags & TEXT_FIELD_EDITABLE))
               return 0;
#endif
#endif

Edited by Grum

For some reason I though it was intensionally like this. With that patch its much better. Are you going to commit the change?

Regarding the middle mouse button copy/paste:

It lets me paste copied text that is too long and rather than truncate, I get an error message in red saying "Command string too long" and nothing prints out. Not too horrible except that from that point on, I can then manually type any length string I want, entire paragraphs, and hit enter. I then again get the same error message "Command string too long". The truncation feature is lost.

It lets me paste copied text that is too long and rather than truncate, I get an error message in red saying "Command string too long" and nothing prints out. Not too horrible except that from that point on, I can then manually type any length string I want, entire paragraphs, and hit enter. I then again get the same error message "Command string too long". The truncation feature is lost.

In git, this should be fixed now.

Edited by bluap

In git, this should be fixed now.

Yay! I recompiled and as far as I can tell, it is fixed! Thank you very, very much!

Um, oddly enough this issue has _started_ for me as of today. Previously, the client would just not let me type a message that was too long, now it lets me type quite long messages and will just say 'command string too long'. I haven't updated or recompiled my client... has something changed on server side?