Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

explorer daily?

how about a daily on the same lines as the wormy trees in the former global quest? you would need to look for XX thing in/on XX item in XX map. like 'i'm looking for a certain kind of bug that lives under flower petals in Palon Vertas' or 'i'm looking for worms that can be found in the bark of certain trees in the willowvine forest. depending on what the npc asks for you could even make it specific to one skill so the XP payout makes 'sense'.

I can't see how this really differs that much from the haidir/xacelina theme, ie look for XX thing in XX map. The only real difference in this case seems to be that you don't even have to harv/kill or achieve anything much other than search/find. Exploring is an element in just about all quests, so there seems precious little reason to make it an end in itself, especially not on a daily basis. As such, it seems little more than another means by which players who prefer certain elements of the game can avoid grind and level quickly.

Surely it would be better to fill in some of the more obvious gaps in the daily quest regime, ie potioning, crafting, summoning, ranging, tailoring, magic etc ??? Could these not be structured so as they not only require/encourage/incentivise players to find things on maps, but in far more constructive and interesting ways ???

No offence, but this one seems on the level of a wandering daily dung quest

No offence, *direct insult* lol

Hardly! But just so we're fully clear what a 'direct insult' actually is, its when you refer directly to someone in a demeaning, contemptuous or disrespectful way, eg by describing that person as a 'windbag' or 'asskissy'. An 'indirect insult' would be when you set out to achieve the same ends without direct reference to the person, eg by making fatuous comments on the length of a post, simplistic and poorly justified criticisms of their pov/ideas, or simply using charmingly descriptive terms like 'shit' when drawing your comparisons.

All i've done is little more than disagree with your pov, and its hardly as if its unjustified. Get over it lol.

That's funny because it would encourage exploring all corners of the chosen map, which is something you have windbagged about in other threads with a positive almost asskissy slant.

Actually, what I said was "One of the great aspects of EL is the design and artwork that goes into the maps. Not sure if i'm in a minority, but I often go to places just to enjoy the scenary and sunsets. Shame therefore that, aside from the aesthetics, there's little practical reason for players to visit large sections of maps". Not sure what you see, but I count two sentences, from a single thread, which hardly seems to count as 'windbagging'. As for 'asskissy', not sure if that infers criticism of the games artwork, me personally, or a mixture of both. If you're going to make these kind of remarks, at least be clear on who's ass you think i'm trying to kiss and why you think i'm trying to kiss it.

Regret I don't agree with your assertion of a contradiction in my pov regarding 'exploring'. Yes I would agree your quest suggestion would result in more of the design and artwork being seen and appreciated, but not in a way that (in my very humble opinion) would be particularly imaginative or balanced.

The difference between a daily like I suggested and haidair's daily is pretty obvious and the difference between xaquilina's daily is that no one is telling you exactly which clump of flowers to go to.

You miss the point. The exploring element is common to both Haidir and Xaquelina, therefore why repeat it for its own sake? The only major difference between Xaquelina and your quest appears to be finding and clicking multiple items on a map, rather than one. I'm simply saying that, imho, it seems like a comparatively minor variation.

depending on what the npc asks for you could even make it specific to one skill so the XP payout makes 'sense'.

I could understand if the quest activity was directly linked to a specific skill which was not already covered by a daily, ie a ranging daily that involved ranging and gave ranging exp. However, hunting worms seems to have little direct relevance to any skill exp reward. That might be fine for a one-off quest, but as a daily, it simply seems a way for players to avoid grind.

EDIT: punctuation, diplomacy and length

Edited by themuntdregger

I see it as different from Haidir or Xaquelina.

I would love an exploring quest for the sake of exploring. For example, Xaquelina and Haidir won't ever direct you to the charming birds nests you can find every once in a blue moon, or the occasional picnic on a blanket under a tree. EL is full of fantastic details and personality and secrets that will go unappreciated by the majority unless something like this is done.

My guild frequently does contests for ourselves where somebody posts screenshots and the rest of us have to find the coords where they are. It's a lot of fun and I'm horrible at it. And every day they laugh at me when I say "Oh my gosh, I had no idea there was such_and_such there!" or "Oh my gosh, when was ____ added?!"

So no, it's nothing like Haidir or Xaquelina in concept. Let's direct all those words and effort on how to make the technical aspects work, if one has any interest at all.

Don't want to get into a quote fest.

1- I wasn't looking for thinly veiled diplomacy, I was going for direct insult. Now I'm telling you why I disagree with your pov. accept it.

2-Practically any pro game post from you comes from directly inside someone's ass. You kiss ass. I'm not writing an epic to expound on it.

3- Xaquelina requires no exploring. You go to xxx coords, you leave. Once you've found Haidir's animal you head back to the spawn and stay there for the next 25, 26 mobs. There are tons of sub maps in game that have no daily that could be used.

4. Hunting worms was an example. This is a suggestion forum, one small 3 sentence idea could unlock a labyrinth of others in someone's imagination. Not everything needs to be discussed at length and stuffed into rigid form.

Rant on saying the same things if slightly different ways if you want. I don't like doing that so I'm done. This is what I think, I purposely left the idea very vague so that it could fit into a variety of situations.

Another thought I had on this, is I would love to see learning ship or map routes by walking worked into this, without using rings or magic spells.

Xaquelina and Haidir won't ever direct you to the charming birds nests you can find every once in a blue moon, or the occasional picnic on a blanket under a tree. EL is full of fantastic details and personality and secrets that will go unappreciated by the majority unless something like this is done.

Fair point, well put. I'd failed to appreciate the obvious limitation in the scope of quests set by Xaq/Haidir.

My guild frequently does contests for ourselves where somebody posts screenshots and the rest of us have to find the coords where they are. It's a lot of fun and I'm horrible at it. And every day they laugh at me when I say "Oh my gosh, I had no idea there was such_and_such there!" or "Oh my gosh, when was ____ added?!"

Your comment took me back to guild quests i've enjoyed of a similar theme. Hence, rather than have yet another general game quest, the game could enable individual guilds to run their own exploring quests. This might allow for say a rank 19 to launch a guild quest via #command using parameters such as :

[location to be found] eg : Desert Pines 100 100

[search clue] eg : Find the bee hive in teh woods in the next hour. First four finders get xxx gc

[reward pot (gc)] eg : 5000gc

[quest duration (minutes)] eg : 60

[pot distribution] eg : could support a range of options including 'first finder takes all', 'first X finders share pot' , 'first X finders get reducing amount'

[eligibility] eg : could support a range of options including 'entire guild' 'guild plus allies', 'guild members below x rank'

Guilds could run the above as often as they like, be it hourly daily or, weekly. I guess you could also have concurrent, or stacked quests. As long as you limit the reward to gc, you've got the option to distribute the reward in a variety of different ways, and can make initiating a quest conditional on automatically deducting the pot from the sto of the guildie who initiates the quest.

Another thought I had on this, is I would love to see learning ship or map routes by walking worked into this, without using rings or magic spells.

Really liked this idea. Imho, this would make a great general daily, subject always to the nature and amount of the reward.

Let's direct all those words and effort on how to make the technical aspects work, if one has any interest at all.

Agreed.

Your comment took me back to guild quests i've enjoyed of a similar theme. Hence, rather than have yet another general game quest, the game could enable individual guilds to run their own exploring quests. This might allow for say a rank 19 to launch a guild quest via #command using parameters such as :

[search clue] eg : Find the bee hive in teh woods in the next hour. First four finders get xxx gc

[pot distribution] eg : could support a range of options including 'first finder takes all', 'first X finders share pot' , 'first X finders get reducing amount'

[eligibility] eg : could support a range of options including 'entire guild' 'guild plus allies', 'guild members below x rank'

Guilds could run the above as often as they like, be it hourly daily or, weekly. I guess you could also have concurrent, or stacked quests. As long as you limit the reward to gc, you've got the option to distribute the reward in a variety of different ways, and can make initiating a quest conditional on automatically deducting the pot from the sto of the guildie who initiates the quest.

This would be a monumental waste of time. People can obviously manage to do this kind of thing within a guild by themselves, they don't need any commands to do it.

That kind of exploring would be great on a special contest day without teleportation allowed by ring or spell:

Today you need to go visit following places (use such item when found) and following people (talk to them). Return as soon as you can. You may do everything listed in any order you choose but do not dally.

This would be a monumental waste of time. People can obviously manage to do this kind of thing within a guild by themselves, they don't need any commands to do it.

Ofc, there's the small matter of checking who actually manages to find 'the bee hive in teh woods', what order they arrive in, whether they arrive within the allotted time, not to mention sharing out the gc when they do. If its an exploring quest then fairly obviously you're going to need some first hand means of checking that they've completed the objective. However, if the nature of that objective is find a some small hidden item such as bee hive, birds nest, picnic blanket etc, then stationing someone over the top of it going to be just a teensy bit obvious, don't you think ???

Yup, you can do as Aislinn's guild does and get ppl to take screenies of the objective and email that back once they've found it. Its a great idea, but its still very manual and time-consuming. The point of my suggestion was to make it easy for guilds to hold explorer quests specifically as an alternative to having yet another general daily.

Edited by themuntdregger

If you and your guild cannot trust each other enough to run these sorts of events without having so much suspicion then that's your problem, not the game's.

If you and your guild cannot trust each other enough to run these sorts of events without having so much suspicion then that's your problem, not the game's.

Indeed Zaer.

What a great idea. Such a shame we don't have a button marked 'like' on these forums.

and another marked 40,000 volts

EDIT: Punchline

Edited by themuntdregger

Indeed Zaer.

What a great idea. Such a shame we don't have a button marked 'like' on these forums.

and another marked 40,000 volts

EDIT: Punchline

And we should beat a troll instead of a pinata whilst playing at a beach.

Fun, untill the quest locations are all known and written down with coordinates, and people just tp to them for free exp :P

If you want people to explore, no need for a quest, just make rare ores like wolfram and hydro become "roaming" ores.

If it was possible to make the ores spawn for periods of time in random (or not so random) locations, it makes people hunt for the ores, and the spots could be strategically picked so that its not too easy to get to the ore even if all spots are memorized like the joker spawns.

This may could be in a new thread all its own, but it was just a thought for those who want to encourage exploration.

Fun, untill the quest locations are all known and written down with coordinates, and people just tp to them for free exp :P

as for it becoming 'too easy' or 'free xp', well thats all in how the dev who tackles the idea handles it. if it is the exact same tree or clump of flowers for the daily in XX map, then yes. But if they get creative and make it so that each time it is a different tree or flower or whatever, then no.

It could be based on calculation using astro (being skeptic would be ignored) or some internal counter so everybody's quest is not the same. That is simplest way to make it such that quests are not just plug in coordinates like Xaq's quests.

If you want people to explore, no need for a quest, just make rare ores like wolfram and hydro become "roaming" ores.

And then make them explore to find a rainbow with a chest of gold coins digged at its begining so they can afford even the most basic (nowadays) items in the game. That would be a real deal, wouldn't it? Still, chances of completing it would be higher than in a "Go and find some common sense" one.

Edited by Vanyel