Eternal Lands Official Forums
Olorandir

Instance enter scam (don_jack)

Just thought I'd warn people that don_jack is offering 10kgc to people for an 'instance enter', then somehow contriving to kill them and get their stuff. He tried to scam my wife, but she didn't fall for it. Unfortunately, someone else (and possibly others) did. Don't let it be you ;)

It would be great if your wife could post her chatlog or screenshot of the event so it would follow the posting rules of this section and would help others know what to be aware of.

If anybody else has proof of it happening, they are also welcome to post with their proof.

Note: The Morcraven Marsh battle hall has 3 unmarked doors that lead to 3 different PK rooms with teleportals to 2 pk maps (and one high level monster map), one being TD where your rosto won't work and will drop with the rest of your stuff.

Another note:

"Enters" for instances (where somebody requests you to join the instance then bail out of it, to meet the minimum requirement to start it but letting the remaining people farm it) are defeating the point of the instance and are an attempt to bypass the REQUIREMENTS. Don't expect help if you advertise wanting one or you go do it for somebody.

It would be great if your wife could post her chatlog or screenshot of the event so it would follow the posting rules of this section and would help others know what to be aware of.

If anybody else has proof of it happening, they are also welcome to post with their proof.

Note: The Morcraven Marsh battle hall has 3 unmarked doors that lead to 3 different PK rooms with teleportals to 2 pk maps (and one high level monster map), one being TD where your rosto won't work and will drop with the rest of your stuff.

Another note:

"Enters" for instances (where somebody requests you to join the instance then bail out of it, to meet the minimum requirement to start it but letting the remaining people farm it) are defeating the point of the instance and are an attempt to bypass the REQUIREMENTS. Don't expect help if you advertise wanting one or you go do it for somebody.

I'll see if I can get her to post the chatlog, though as far as I know, don_jack just asked her to enter a '2-man instance' with him, which red-flagged this as an attempt to scam her, and she refused. Later on, she was sitting in a storage and someone was complaining in local of having been killed and looted by don_jack after receiving a similar PM and (sadly) going along with it. I'd post the person's name, but I don't want to embarrass him/her :unsure:

I'm aware of the fact that 'instance enters' are a way of getting around what instances were intended to be, and it wasn't my intention to give the impression that I think they are a good idea - I just wanted to warn anyone who might be tempted by the lure of an 'easy' way to make gc.

[edit: syntax]

Edited by Olorandir

I'm aware of the fact that 'instance enters' are a way of getting around what instances were intended to be, and it wasn't my intention to give the impression that I think they are a good idea - I just wanted to warn anyone who might be tempted by the lure of an 'easy' way to make gc.

By no means Aislinn meant it. It was a general note.

Just thought I'd warn people that don_jack is offering 10kgc to people for an 'instance enter', then somehow contriving to kill them and get their stuff. He tried to scam my wife, but she didn't fall for it. Unfortunately, someone else (and possibly others) did. Don't let it be you ;)

My link

Thank you kerr_azy.

(Also I didn't mean to imply I thought you both think "enters" are a good idea, sorry if it came out that way.)

(Also I didn't mean to imply I thought you both think "enters" are a good idea, sorry if it came out that way.)

No worries, I was just making it clear I'm not into that sort of thing :)

(...)

(...)

Just a note: there is NO NEED to enter any of these rooms to enter an instance, so any request to do so is a scam/luring in itself ;)

And the same scam has been tried on guildies of mine, so the perp likes repeat performances (and it seems to have worked at least once)...

Hello o/

1. People with good hearts are naive, because of abusing that we make our society (not only EL, real life too) to follow “don’t trust anyone” motto.

2. Because of idiots(hmmmm on second though they are cleaver, so thieves would be more appropriate) that want to earn quick and easy money we all suffer.

3. It is a shame that people aren’t solidarity enough and won’t punish such behavior.

4. Karma exists, so don’t you worry Don_Jack, just remember this game when someone scams (or f***s you dry) in other situation.

Just mine 4 cents to the topic.

Have fun all :bow_arrow:

Sorry I have no screenshots of this - I started ignoring such stuff since I know how to stay out of scams. But since there's a topic here again I grabbed my chatlog and searched some entries.

[Don_jack @ 3]: Looking for 100-120 instance enters for new #day (95-120 a/d). Paying 10kgc, this is good

[PM from Don_jack: hey, can you help us enter instance? We pay 10kgc :)]

Hilariuos but sad. Everyone wearing the YARR guild tag is clearly noone to be trusted. That's not just my own experience but also from many other people. I'm glad that finally the bad ones gathered together and gave themselves a guild tag that's easy to recognize and easy to give a brown color - tho even that is not safe enough. I remember Don_jack asking for stuff, and obviously noone answered. He left and came back a few minutes later with no tag and repeated his question. A few minutes after that he had his tag back on.

Would like to say one thing, in reply to esty's point, the only time i have ever asked for enters on channels is when i was genuinely doing an instance and looking for enters. I haven't done so for well over a month. If you really want you can ask mirageknight, trojan, koddy, littlebro2 to name a few people i've done instances with and found geniune enters.

To clarify, i was a very evil man who did bad things, but when I did I PM'd people, at no point did i advertise on channels. Farewell!

For Don's defend, i had never problem w/ him doing 2man instances, never scammed me and few times saved me life

for esty a:

normal 3-4 man instance enter payment:

"[Don_jack @ 3]: Looking for 100-120 instance enters for new #day (95-120 a/d). Paying 10kgc, this is good

[PM from Don_jack: hey, can you help us enter instance? We pay 10kgc :)]"

If you would get scammed, what you loose, max ii, and everytime i was doing 2man instances w/ him, it was w/o problems, don could scame me for 200? 300k? but didn't, reasons i'am returning him bags and defending him even i know, what is him for person

-K.

If you would get scammed, what you loose, max ii, and everytime i was doing 2man instances w/ him, it was w/o problems, don could scame me for 200? 300k? but didn't, reasons i'am returning him bags and defending him even i know, what is him for person

Good for you, Koddy, I'm glad (and not at all surprised) to hear that you two get along so swimmingly. But the point of this topic is that at least one person was lured and killed, losing some rather valuable items, and that attempts were made to lure others. Hence the warning. I'd also like to add that whether this (these) person(s) who was (were) lured should have known better or not is somewhat besides the point. It's easy to say that when you've played this game for a while, as many of us have. Someone could well have started playing fairly recently, and not know about the PK rooms in MM battle hall, or even how to enter an instance, nor about don_jack's/YARR's/whoever's antics. In my book, that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be warned.

i dont have proof, if it happens again ill take a screen shot but hes often pmed me asking me to help him get into an instance and im, only in the 60s a/d so i dont see why its a genuine offer fr help since im so low but a lure

Edited by nixxy4ever

Not really, point in this scam was that he said to enter the middle door in BH which is PK and there is a portal leading to TD (i guess you know what that means).

Basically if you don`t be cautious in real life or here, which is also kinda a virtual life, you pay for it.

I get sometimes asked to show some guys a path to this or that because they think i don`t know its pk area or drop zone....

Basically be cautious. That guy was not cautious and i hope he learnt his lessons.

And I think you better learn it here in game that you can be fooled as learn it in real life when it hurts much more ...

I also got scammed on my first week in this game with a faboulous bag trade, didnt knew there was a trade window, lost all my flowers, and other bad things, but I !!! never !!! started a thread here ... I hardly ever talked on public channels about it and told some guys very late about it ...

Mostly that happens because guys are greedy. ... Mostly nothing is for free, also in this game, called eternal_lands.

Basically if you don`t be cautious in real life or here, which is also kinda a virtual life, you pay for it.

Whether irl or in el, you can never be risk free, and the consequences of too much caution are arguably as bad as too little prudence. Hence, there's no safe hiding place.

However, the thing that makes mmorgs so fascinating and (at least imho) attractive, is the opportunity to interact with other ppl. Whether its trading, guilds, pk or whatever, any interaction with others will carry a risk and, if you expose yourself to that risk often enough, there's a statistical probability that eventually you'll get stung.

In weighing up whether that risk is worthwhile, it's necessary to consider the extent to which the benefits of trusting ppl outweigh the cost. Personally, i'm on the side of trusting others, as the value of the friendships, allegiances, assistance and other benefits far outweigh those times when i've been let down.

Nonetheless, it never fails too amaze me how some ppl are willing to sacrifice their reputation, respect and the trust of other players simply for a few gc, let alone those guilds who knowingly take such ppl in. So whether its pulling sophisticated and cynical confidence tricks with instances, or simply stealing from a guild bot, I think there's a good reason to alert others to who they are and exactly what they have done.

Edited by themuntdregger

Whether irl or in el, you can never be risk free, and the consequences of too much caution are arguably as bad as too little prudence. Hence, there's no safe hiding place.

However, the thing that makes mmorgs so fascinating and (at least imho) attractive, is the opportunity to interact with other ppl. Whether its trading, guilds, pk or whatever, any interaction with others will carry a risk and, if you expose yourself to that risk often enough, there's a statistical probability that eventually you'll get stung.

In weighing up whether that risk is worthwhile, it's necessary to consider the extent to which the benefits of trusting ppl outweigh the cost. Personally, i'm on the side of trusting others, as the value of the friendships, allegiances, assistance and other benefits far outweigh those times when i've been let down.

Nonetheless, it never fails too amaze me how some ppl are willing to sacrifice their reputation, respect and the trust of other players simply for a few gc, let alone those guilds who knowingly take such ppl in. So whether its pulling sophisticated and cynical confidence tricks with instances, or simply stealing from a guild bot, I think there's a good reason to alert others to who they are and exactly what they have done.

Bright lad indeed :rolleyes:

Just use common sense and always remember, it is a game, no need to panic :>

Maybe not panic, but it isn't nice if you lose rostogols ($5 from the shop) and many months worth of savings in-game. Has been reason for more than one player to quit. Those players you wont see posting here though, they are gone. It seems more than reasonable for those that have escaped this fate to warn others.

#1 ignore koddy his reference to this matter is irrelevant

#2 he is not pmming ppl for instance enter first off 60-80 cant go to 100-120

#3 in a nutshell,if some1 u dont know asks u something ask some1 who knows a little more for help,a mod if u need [despite my pasts comments they r here for a reason,to help]

#4 unless u know them never trust any1 ingame for anything,welcome to mmorpgs anything that can happen will and does happen

# 5 we really should have a section for know scammers,bjers etc..most new to the game dont know any better and well when u know no1 ingame then getting beat makes u wanna play a different game which we dont want ppl to leave cept for the scumbags,i mean just thier names disputes r for details

Rajun/Quagmire

noob 4 life

:P

#1 ignore koddy his reference to this matter is irrelevant

#2 he is not pmming ppl for instance enter first off 60-80 cant go to 100-120

#3 in a nutshell,if some1 u dont know asks u something ask some1 who knows a little more for help,a mod if u need [despite my pasts comments they r here for a reason,to help]

#4 unless u know them never trust any1 ingame for anything,welcome to mmorpgs anything that can happen will and does happen

# 5 we really should have a section for know scammers,bjers etc..most new to the game dont know any better and well when u know no1 ingame then getting beat makes u wanna play a different game which we dont want ppl to leave cept for the scumbags,i mean just thier names disputes r for details

Rajun/Quagmire

noob ebul 4 life

:P

fixed ur typos :P

For Don's defend, i had never problem w/ him doing 2man instances, never scammed me and few times saved me life

for esty a:

"[Don_jack @ 3]: Looking for 100-120 instance enters for new #day (95-120 a/d). Paying 10kgc, this is good

-K.

One scammer sticking up for another nice team work there koddy lmao

for esty a:

-K.

One scammer sticking up for another nice team work there koddy lmao

tbh.. i dont like koddy , but he isnt scammer, so u are totally wrong.

tbh.. i dont like koddy , but he isnt scammer, so u are totally wrong.

I like Koddy but I don't like Dubro, however he is right, Koddy isn't a scamer. Maybe a skunk, but definitely not scammer. :hehe:

Edited by Devnul