Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

Invance ranging exp for rangers

It seems that it would make some sense for rangers in invances to get ranging experience instead of only att/def experience. What if the experience reward was somehow tied to what you did most (melee or ranging) during the invance? Or perhaps you had a choice when you entered: if you have 2 amber in your inventory you get a/d exp, if you have 3 amber then ranging experience.

It just seems silly that a person who spends the whole time on the wall ranging (which is rather expensive) doesn't get any experience bonus in ranging.

Ranging is considerably OP compared to A/D, this will be kinda unfair, I think. But I'm willing to be persuaded...

Edited by TuDaeFadda

bkc, I can understand that argument and I can understand how people would see it as being too easy to level ranging if you got ranging xp bonuses in invances.

May I recommend a slightly different bonus? Maybe you could get 25% of your arrows back or you get some training arrows instead. If it can't/won't be implemented server side, perhaps you could take donations.

I personally appreciate all the effort the rangers put into the invances. It has helped me save some HE and occasionally saved me from a dis ring or even death.

Supposing there was no added bonus for archers, it would be nice if the server announced the number of hits the archers made at the end of the invance so that people could give them some training arrows or something. I do not know how easy such a thing would be to implement.

Edit: It may also be unfair for people that got their a/d xp up would be able to reset and then get their a/d xp from invance by playing the part of a ranger. Of course, now that I mentioned it, no doubt people will try that out.

Edited by nathanstenzel

May I recommend a slightly different bonus? Maybe you could get 25% of your arrows back or you get some training arrows instead. If it can't/won't be implemented server side, perhaps you could take donations.

Would encourage people to use training arrows which is NOT what invances are for.

Supposing there was no added bonus for archers, it would be nice if the server announced the number of hits the archers made at the end of the invance so that people could give them some training arrows or something. I do not know how easy such a thing would be to implement.

Wouldn't really encourage people to give archers stuff, ain't broke don't fix it etc.

Edit: It may also be unfair for people that got their a/d xp up would be able to reset and then get their a/d xp from invance by playing the part of a ranger. Of course, now that I mentioned it, no doubt people will try that out.

What? You don't need to reset to range...People are gonna reset to do invances? What?

Personally don't think there's anything wrong with how it is now

Would encourage people to use training arrows which is NOT what invances are for.

If you get training arrows back at the end of the invance, you can shoot them during normal archery training. I would not recommend using training arrows in an invance either.

Wouldn't really encourage people to give archers stuff, ain't broke don't fix it etc.

Bragging rights. Else than that, IF a person wanted to donate stuff to rangers, they would know who the rangers were.

What? You don't need to reset to range...People are gonna reset to do invances? What?

Personally don't think there's anything wrong with how it is now

I never said you need to reset to range nor was I suggesting people do it. People have different goals in the game and some people reset for various reasons.

I was referring to TuDaeFadda's post about it being unfair for rangers to get ranging xp bonuses when they don't do any fighting. TuDaeFadda made a statement against bkc's suggestion. I made a statement against TuDaeFadda's statement. It is only fair.

It is logical that if a person did reset and did not want to focus on a/d build at the moment that the person could do haidir daily via archery (I believe that counts) and archery/magic/summoning in invances to get a total of 600k-1m OA xp a day. For that case, a person could probably just place poison caltrops or land mines in an invance (and hopefully nobody with One perk sets them off) and they would actually earn their a/d xp from that.

What we do in my invance is share drop gc with the rangers who used a considerable number of PK/magic/fire arrows, or waded into dangerous frays to help or both. The amount is fairly good, and on most occasions pays for 50-70% of the arrows they fired. We generally allocate rangers to specified hunting parties: 1-2 rangers with 4-5 or more melee fighters in a unit. This unit judges the rangers' efficiency and shares drops accordingly.

This practice in itself should encourage rangers sufficiently. Of course, to discourage unnecessary ranging, we have a practice to range only mobs that are above the invance's A/D cap. While this is not possible in the 120+ invance, players there should know what to range and what not to.

Or just increase the ranging exp of every PK arrows fired...
That would work (although some might complain that ranging exp AND the a/d exp would be unfair).

i saw videos of those bolts taking 50~ damage or something.

Did those videos also show how much gc a ranger spends in arrows and AP pots, or how a pure ranger build cripples many other possible builds? Besides a trained fighter with the right build and the right weapon can do some pretty serious damage too.

Ranging is not an exp skill, robin days are enough as it is
I don't understand what you mean. How is ranging not an exp skill? How is Sun-Tzu + Invance more fair than Robin + Invance?

What we do in my invance is share drop gc with the rangers who used a considerable number of PK/magic/fire arrows, or waded into dangerous frays to help or both.

I must range in the wrong invances because no one has ever offered that anytime I've gone.

Still, I think some sort of experience bonus tied to the skill you use in the invance would be more appropriate.

It just seems silly that a person who spends the whole time on the wall ranging (which is rather expensive) doesn't get any experience bonus in ranging.

What we do in my invance is share drop gc with the rangers who used a considerable number of PK/magic/fire arrows, or waded into dangerous frays to help or both.

I must range in the wrong invances because no one has ever offered that anytime I've gone.

Sorry, it's probably a bit off topic but I think it's quite related. IMO, rangers should not stay the whole invance on walls. When no more mobs are close to the fort, they should follow a group of fighters to help them take down the last mobs. And this is a really good way for fighters to see who are the rangers that participate the most because when you are in the action, it's quite hard to recognize the rangers that are shooting from the wall.

Sorry, it's probably a bit off topic but I think it's quite related. IMO, rangers should not stay the whole invance on walls. When no more mobs are close to the fort, they should follow a group of fighters to help them take down the last mobs.

I can't speak for others, but I do this. I like to team up with a strong fighter and wander around. Easier stuff I can kill melee, harder stuff I range while they fight. Things get pretty boring on the wall for the 2nd half of an invance as little comes in-range.

Sorry, it's probably a bit off topic but I think it's quite related. IMO, rangers should not stay the whole invance on walls. When no more mobs are close to the fort, they should follow a group of fighters to help them take down the last mobs. And this is a really good way for fighters to see who are the rangers that participate the most because when you are in the action, it's quite hard to recognize the rangers that are shooting from the wall.

Just a reminder that there are rules posted here about ranging in invances. Except for the HIGHEST ranger, it is NOT ALLOWED to stay on the wall (see rule c1).

If you don't like the share in the drops, you can do melee instead.

I think giving more xp for ranging with pk arrows (or fire arrows) would solve the xp problem.

I think giving more xp for ranging with pk arrows (or fire arrows) would solve the xp problem.

Accuracy value is already considered in value of xp earned per shot. The more accurate ammo, less experience (which is logical of course).

pk/magic arrows < trainings < fire/ice arrows

Not sure if there will be possible take the value of ammo into consideration... I think this was not the issue :devlish:

We got an arena with stable target, Robin's days, I agree with Devnul - don't think we get more :whistle:

... and if you don't agree with the a/d reward, just don't go.

Imagine how much summoners are burning for example (and I saw bunch of chims saved a lot of people at gate already).

It's up to you how you will participate, to enjoy the invances and get your reward.

They are made like that, maybe we get something for ranging xp grinding some day too ;)

if you have 2 amber in your inventory you get a/d exp, if you have 3 amber then ranging experience.

That would be a realy easy and nice way to level up my range level without fire any arrow.

Thinking on my side, that would be awsome, free rang xp, low effort. Since im fighter.

Thinking on game side that would be realy bad.

-----------------------------------------------

Other way of thinking that, whats the hardest part to level up ranging? Is to have targets to fire at right? Invances has a lot of that, so every ranger got ranging exp (i know it from guild rangers that always say how much xp they got in the end of an invance).

About PK arrow cost u expend during invance, well, im pretty sure u got lots of gc from drops without many risks as fighters take like armor breaking and rosto losing (HE/SRs etc).

As u sayd, most time ure standing in the wall shooting.

So i realy dont see a reason to change it the way it is. Its fair enought from everyone as it is.

Ranging shouldnt be any easier to level up, its not easy for a reason (as some stated, is already to easy to be a pr0 ranger with full AP killing ppl that took 1-2 years of a/d training).

thats my 50c

I range in every invance... but I have never ranged on the wall. I have always melee'd until a boss monster comes around, then I step back and shoot for a faster kill. Tbh, unless a rosto is lost, the ranger spends the most gc in an invance. BUT, I chose to be a ranger fighter. I have accepted that ranging is somewhat of a money sink (depends on how you train). As far as xp, it would be nice to choose either rang xp or a/d xp. Maybe a multiplier such as 800-1k*rang lvl? Would be very nice.

I suggest the 2 amber for a/d and 3 amber for ranging xp idea.

Thats my 2gc

... Other way of thinking that, whats the hardest part to level up ranging? Is to have targets to fire at right? Invances has a lot of that, so every ranger got ranging exp (i know it from guild rangers that always say how much xp they got in the end of an invance).

About PK arrow cost u expend during invance, well, im pretty sure u got lots of gc from drops without many risks as fighters take like armor breaking and rosto losing (HE/SRs etc).

As u sayd, most time ure standing in the wall shooting.

Obviously you have never ranged in an invance. I use more than 10k gc in arrows per invance, and on a lucky day (picked the right bula to help with) I get 5k gc from the MB drop. I typically get nothing from ranging the icies. I have lost more rostos in invances than anywhere else, usually due to idiots dislodging the Icy/MB that I was ranging up close (which give very low xp, not worth it for training). As a ranger I rarely even get the drops from the regular critters I help kill from the walls. To say rangers get gc from drops is totally ridiculous. It is way cheaper to train in GP in the arena with training arrows/bolts, even without a special #day. As was pointed out, pk arrows give LESS xp than trainers.

I don't range in invances to train, I am doing it for fun and take the xp (a/d) as reward for my investment. I am usually on the walls only at the start, go hunt for the rat as soon as it spawns and then go out with fighters for range support. I have invested in full AP, elven bow, WH perk and ran 47. I am low 120-ies, so fighting melee is suicide for me. I am not the highest level rangers most of the time, so not allowed to stay on the walls.

Did those videos also show how much gc a ranger spends in arrows and AP pots, or how a pure ranger build cripples many other possible builds? Besides a trained fighter with the right build and the right weapon can do some pretty serious damage too.

A "pure ranger" build doesn't cripple other builds, and ranging is/can be one of the most profitable skills.

And if ranging exp for invance is implemented, much less exp than cyrus said pls, for a ranger in 40s that reward is ~half a level, equivalent to 40kgcs or so, lol.

Why not (simply?) give a percentage bonus on the ranging xp while in the invance, like 20% for pk-arrows, 5% for use of elven bow. Anyone who ranges benefits, even if they are not within range of the invance. Of course this 'blessing' would need to be turned off on RT-day or the invances would be flooded by noob rangers. :bow_arrow:

Why not (simply?) give a percentage bonus on the ranging xp while in the invance...

That would certainly be a reasonable solution within the spirit of the suggestion. I have no idea about the implementation complexity though (compared to other solutions).