Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flexo

Crafting...

Its a pretty damn flawed skill, its impossible for a newbie to start. I created a newbie char for myself to test some stuff and see what needs to be done better and i noticed that crafting needs very high alchemy and harvesting levels to start. A newbie who wants to do crafting can't do it 'cause he needs to do a whole lot of things before he can even think 'bout doing his first ring. Second of all, crafting needs a whole lot of money, the gem sanding papers costs a lot of money and the money a newbie gets is really not that much. So i don't know what you should do but atleast make something for crafting being a skill a newbie can also do.

You forgot to mention that ring books and medallion books are monsterdrops... goes a hell of alot more cash for the poor newb

Hmm, so whats the problem??? Tackling Fluffies is pretty hard for newbies too. You gotta work up to it.

Right off the bat, since you need Gold and Silver Bars just to make the plain rings should point out that this is NOT a newbie skill line.

Later,

GatorJaws

Its a pretty damn flawed skill, its impossible for a newbie to start. I created a newbie char for myself to test some stuff and see what needs to be done better and i noticed that crafting needs very high alchemy and harvesting levels to start. A newbie who wants to do crafting can't do it 'cause he needs to do a whole lot of things before he can even think 'bout doing his first ring. Second of all, crafting needs a whole lot of money, the gem sanding papers costs a lot of money and the money a newbie gets is really not that much. So i don't know what you should do but atleast make something for crafting being a skill a newbie can also do.

you don't see the point of this post gatorjaws, newbies should be able to start out doing whatever skill they like the most, or feel most comfortable doing in a rpg - and with crafting being so expensive they can't do that

and.. as gem paper goes - it shouldn't disinagrate after 1 gem, or take 3 papers to do one gem, i myself restore old motorcyles for fun - i've restored a couple honda nighthawks and some old yamaha's, after you've fixed all the stuff you have to wetsand a lot of stuff to prep it for paint, etc.. just like in el, water ess and sandpaper.. but when i wet sand (as for cutting gems ingame, well it should be like this..) my sandpaper doesn't disinagrate after i do 1 inch like it does in the game.. it works for a while.. and you should be able to do multiply gems with 1 piece of paper

you don't see the point of this post gatorjaws, newbies should be able to start out doing whatever skill they like the most, or feel most comfortable doing in a rpg - and with crafting being so expensive they can't do that

Ahh, But I do. I was pointing out that it is pretty obvious that Crafting is NOT a skill for Newbies.

It requires either, High alch and Harv, or LOTSand LOTS of cash to start (to buy raw materials or bars). Look at it. You need Gold Bars, Silver Bars, Gems, and cash for Sanpaper.

I DONT think there is anything wrong with it, or that it is flawed. Plainly it is intended for the experienced player.

[Newbies dont kill flufy when they start, nor do they do crafting.]

Later,

GatorJaws

you don't see the point of this post gatorjaws, newbies should be able to start out doing whatever skill they like the most, or feel most comfortable doing in a rpg -

Well i would like to do crafting with my noob char but its impossible since i can't havervest silver/gold not even speaking of bars or the cash for gem sanding paper so imo there should be a better way than the current one.

I agree with GatorJaws. These are just some things you need to work up to and crafting is one of them. Just like fighting higher level monsters, you gotta work up to that level. If you could just join the game and do everything immediately, you'd be bored in an hour - nothing left to work towards.

I agree with GatorJaws. These are just some things you need to work up to and crafting is one of them. Just like fighting higher level monsters, you gotta work up to that level. If you could just join the game and do everything immediately, you'd be bored in an hour - nothing left to work towards.

But you allways start somewhere and so should it be with crafting. In every other skill there is something you can do with very low and basic levels, but crafting isn't one of them and its the only one that a noob can't do so why should it be so?

ok, now gatorjaws AND fred don't get it - you should be able to do any skill you want to start out doing, there is nothing that a low lvl can do to raise his crafting - that is the problem

gator - what does fluffy have to do with any of this? NOTHING

An excellent start would be to make the gem sanders, well 'makeable' .

That would make sense for newbies and for more experienced players.

Suggested ingredients: 1 brown rabbit fur and 1 quartz with the xp gain in the range of 2-5 per successfully made sander.

This will make crafting manageable for newcomers and it will also encourage players to trade with eachother, since the sanders are *very* expensive to buy.

ok, now gatorjaws AND fred don't get it - you should be able to do any skill you want to start out doing, there is nothing that a low lvl can do to raise his crafting - that is the problem

gator - what does fluffy have to do with any of this? NOTHING

U say tomato, I say tamato...

U say crafting is broke cause a newbie cant do it easily.

I say its not broke cause it clearly is not intended for newbies.

Later,

GatorJaws

Personnaly I think crafting was created as a sinkhole for money that the rich experienced players could spend there money on. (ie another way to suck money out ofthe game) There is little return on investment for the moeny spent making everthing.

Gatorjaws, stop being an elitist, i know some may think that its hypocrite for me to say it but still crafting should be available for every single player ingame. There shouldn't be some skill that some1 can't do. There can be items some1 can't do and monsters some1 can't kill but still there shouldn't be a skill some1 can't do because he needs to train other skills very high

Guest Zeplin

Nothing wrong with being an eliteist.

So... If you make sandpaper makable this will allow new players to gain crafting experiance?

In that case, lets see how it should compare to other skills, like summon. Life essence is the basis there,

a few books,

Iron Mineing, Metallurgy, Metal Mining, (costing 200gp)

taking 2550rp, about 10 hours for a newbie.

Then

Biology, Biochemistry, Botanics, Advanced Alchemy and Life Essence, costing 550gp, taking 5100rp, about 20 hours.

Then the recommended level requirements.

14 Alchemy

23 Havest

So it would take a long time to get to a possition were you can start summoning, And cost a newbie 1k. If the newbie used his charictor for 1 hour a day, You are talking, 5+ weeks before they can start summoning.

So. You have a newbie who wants transport rings, even tho there is auto-walk.

Just to havest the Minerals is easily, twice the ammount of reading and cost. And besides this, The books are rare to make the end items.

Dont you see that its intended to be eliteist? Rings compliment the base skills, fighting and havesting. So that you can move to a place quickly, Or disengage from a fight, Or deal extra damage.

Thats a Serious advantage, And should stay eliteist.

I think that 20gp per ring is rather acceptable. Afterall thats what it costs the crafter. So stop being cheap. Forget about making it a newbie skill, Do you want newbie pkers to run around with 200 damage rings?

Flexo, Quote "crafting should be available for every single player ingame", Sure then forget about nexus'es as well, lol. Invalid point.

well, upgrading your harvest and alchemy to the levels where you can make bars is takes quite a bit more time than upgrading your alchemy to life essences...? am i wrong here?

Guest Zeplin

Thats correct flexo, But as i pointed out, its ment to be eliteist.

Its an advantage of working for the high level skills in other areas.

Just like being able to cast bears And just like being able to make serps. Cross-skill projects, taking many many hours to perfect.

Maybe i should have used the Manu'ing tree as an example here, Not only do you need to be able to kills Trolls to get a Serp stone, You also need to have payed out countless amounts of money in leather before you even get close to Manu'ing a Serp.

Infact the reserch tree for Manu'ing a Serp from scratch is a lot longer then crafting a Disengagement ring.

So making paper free or an item that can be created for free, Has a negative effect on the skill, In that its no longer a challenge for higher level players, And it kills the ecconomy in the item, by making it cost 0.

you need überhigh skills to kill the rabbit to summon it? you need überhigh skills to kill rabbits to start manufacturing? you need überhigh skills to do those essences for summoning? you need überhigh skills to start fighting in first place? you need überhigh skills to start harvesting? you need überhigh skills to start alchemy? you need überhigh skills to start magic? you need überhigh skills to start making potions? NO i thought so but the demands for crafting are really way too much, even one simple item would get the noobs on track with crafting like vials or gem sanding paper as some has here pointed out. But there is no need for a skill only available for high level harvesters/alchemists

Guest Zeplin

Ok this is getting stupid and repetative.

You dont even need high level skills to make a gold bar, If you can live with the fail rate, So the argument you present is invalid.

Infact the entire idea of the experiance percentage changes was to stop this kinda silly stuff. Back then the push was for less of an experiance cut, And now guys like me can do all this stuff, and are bored shitless. Leave it as it is, And make players work for the only skill that complements BOTH base skills havest and fighting.

For the game to become more popular all skills needs to be able for newbies, can't you understand that. No1 is threatening your position in community, it could make more ppl to come to the game since pure harvesting and fighting is pretty damn boring...

I agree with Flexo, there is no need to make crafting elitist and damn hard to work. There are entry level things to do/kill etc for the other areas. And it is a good thing to make Crafting possible for low level characters as well.

Everyone likes to be able to test all skills by getting a few levels in them.

There is more to El than fighting, so if you want to try your hand at Crafting, why shouldn't that be possible - like manufacturing. A total noob can make some warm gloves, which can be sold for a small profit 7.5 gc per glove (cost 2 gc for thread).

Eventually you will get tired if making warm fur gloves and move on to something else. The same goes for crafting.

Being able to manufacture gem sanders will not ruin the economy, trust me.