Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bubsyneo

lanterns

i was just thinking it might be a good idea because it can get pretty dark and hard to see at night time, to have lanterns available to buy for a reasonable amount of money from certain shops. Then if they could be equiped like armor and weapons they would then become on when equipped, and there would always be a circle of light always around your character. I hope you like my sugegstion.

bubsyneo

yeah i think this is a cool idea guys. But maybe there should be like an evolved quater staff. and that would be the only one u can see somerthing with in the specialDARK cave.

I do like the idea of having portable light sources of some sort (I wrote some client code for it a while ago) but as the effects of a light source are client side only, it would be easy for someone to hack the client to give them the effects of a light source even if they weren't carrying one.

Not sure what he meant by that, but it's certainly not impossible to create a light source that follows an actor around.

light-source1.jpglight-source2.jpg

Possibly he meant that it was undesirable. It does look a bit messy, because the joins in the roads show up when the light source passes over them.

Hmmm... maybe a light spell...

Sigils: temporary, something else (look, i dont have all the sigils memorized, ok?)

Essences: fire

hmm...im glad you guys responded :lol: . maybe, because hacking might require extra time etc., it might not be worth hacking the lanterns if they weren;t EXTREMELY expensive. they should be reasonable easy to purchase if you are a newbie and haven't got much money, but, i don't think it would be that bad if someone hacked it either. i hope it is possible to have a light source like a lantern, it would just be like the whole world being brighter but only in certain places.(where there were lanterns that were turned on.)i'd rather not use sigils as light sources, i've never used sigils and i think it would be a good idea to always have the equipment for light. Maybe at a tavern there could be oil for sale to fuel the lamps, therefore making there a reason to not use the lamps continuously, because they would run out. But then there is more reason for hacking the light, hmm, i don't know. lol

bubsyneo

Yay , not impossible that 's a good start

but wether its gonna be a light on a staff like in lotr or an oil lamp that s gonna be another discussion but u guys like te idea of creating a dark cave where u cant see anything and u need the light to go in and maybe u can find special things there?

Lemme know :P

IIRC, the problem was not with a moving light source, but with having more than 8 light sources in the same view.

IIRC, the problem was not with a moving light source, but with having more than 8 light sources in the same view.

Aww.. so no fire flies either then? :cry:

:wink:

Malathorn is that light just visable to you or can everyone else see it.

Only I can see that light at the moment. It would need to be implemented on the server to be able to see if other people were carrying lights.

Yes, unfortunately OpenGL can only render 8 light sources at once. It starts to look a bit strange if you try to have more light sources than that. They turn on and off seemingly at random. I suppose it could be handled by splitting the view up into areas and combining any light sources in each of those areas into a single source for that area. It would probably need some pretty complicated calculations to get it looking right though.

well anyways , more food for discussion but if it starts asking evenmore outta computers and coonections then they better leave the light sourse out

thanks for ya input guys! :D hehehe. would it be possible to have the lantern light only show up to yourself? then would it be ok to have 8 people with lanterns on, but each one only being able to see their own? cos that might only count as one light source, im not sure. i hope this can work! it would be cool :D