Eternal Lands Official Forums
themuntdregger

Enhancing char security through registered ip addresses

I am following this thread for a while and I remain with an unanswered question... What for?

themuntdregger made the post with an idea to help prevent character theft and password cracking and give Radu a little bit of ability to control character sales. I mentioned tracking MAC addresses mainly for the purpose of giving mods more info to work with, but doing that would also give Radu some ability to control character sales and further prevent character theft.

Again, this is what the password thingy is for

character sales are outside the game..... why would radu and the mod team have anything to do with it? maybe i missed it in all the wall of text......

I am following this thread for a while and I remain with an unanswered question... What for?

themuntdregger made the post with an idea to help prevent character theft and password cracking and give Radu a little bit of ability to control character sales. I mentioned tracking MAC addresses mainly for the purpose of giving mods more info to work with, but doing that would also give Radu some ability to control character sales and further prevent character theft.

Again, this is what the password thingy is for

I couldnt agree more, the concept of a password is quite simple but misunderstood since centuries.

Choose a good one. Full stop. Over and out.

But since Radu mentioned, that he has never seen the case, that someone cracked the password of an account, that doesnt seems to be the problem itself.

So, since the password itself isnt the problem and is pretty able to protect a char from stealing it, it's just the idiocy of people, when chars get stolen, obviously.

When they give their char away, *lend* it to a *freind*, share it with others, thats when chars got stolen.

But that is something people have to learn, nothing the game can help with some technical modifications, like tracking IP address ranges or MAC addresses.

To say it quite clear: If ppl are that stupid that they give their password out to others, they *MUST* expect to lose their char.

If they dont get it, ==> their problem.

Piper