Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
minardi

Game resets...

Ok i am now having problems with El....

The other day I re-installed windows and all the drivers etc.

I then downloaded the EL client (0.9.9), and installed it all fine. The client started fine and logged me on ok but after 5-10 seconds the computer reset without warning and has been doing so ever since.

I have tried re-installing my graphics card drivers (GeForce440MX)

I have also re-downloaded/re-installed the game, yet i still get the same problem of it reseting after seconds of being logged on....

Any ideas?

Thom

Right my PSU is 250 watts, and after using a calculator tool i should be using about 260 watt.

So would a PSU upgrade to 300 watts or higher be recommended?

On a side note, regarding your computer restarting without warning... if you're on Windows XP, you can stop it doing this, and instead you will get the old "blue screen of death", which can be useful as it provides some technical info.

To stop your computer restarting automatically:

Click Start, and Control Panel

Double-click System

Click the Advanced tab

Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button

Under System Failure, un-tick the Automatically Restart option.

Click ok (you may need to reboot for it to take effect).

This happened to me once when using Windows. A certain game caused it to restart. Turned out to be bad nVidia drivers.

Hmmmm im still getting that same problem, yet my computer does not restart as frequently now, maybe once every few hours or so.

My PSU packed up shortly after i was thinkin about getting one which prompted me to get one sooner, now have 450W one, so i think ive canceled out the PSU problem.

Changed drivers countless times now , as it happens Nvidia released some new drivers 4 days ago (designed around direct x 9b), hoping that would be the answer, is not.

Then wondered if it would be my graphics card overheating or something, so moved my fans around, now graphics card is ice cold, still has the same problem though.

Done all the other basics, Virus scanned, Disk checked etc.

Although i am now sure it is the graphics card giving me the problem, as i took the graphics card out, ran EL through on-board graphics and doesnt have the problem, just it has to run fullscreen and i get 3-4 fps in crowded areas, impossible to play for long periods of time.

The problem again is that the screen goes black whilst playing, lose all sound etc. and nothing is sent through the network, indicating the computer is pretty much dead until restarted. Yet the monitor still remains on, just black screened, any ideas as to why this happens? Or am i just going to have to live with this till i can afford a new graphics card, not a Nvidia though....

Hi.

Windows XP and Nvidia driver?

Standard one (that what comes with XP) or that one from vendor?

Regards.

Yeh at the moment running xp professional, and the Nvidia driver is latest one from nvidia.com, have got access to all older drivers though...

Think i may have fixed it, EL has been running about 6 hours now no problem. As i was having this problem with other games started looking around other forums seeing if other people have had this problem. Found someone who had had similar problem, had been corrected by installing windows service pack 2 (Still in testing stages so may be unstable, but hey, ya gotta take a gamble to win right?). And results seem to be good....

Hope this keeps up.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this