Eternal Lands Official Forums
TvManPwns

Revise Multi Rule?

A bot is like a shop for your character. You aren't multi-ing with it as in the bot harvests silver for you and you trade it and take it. You are using the bot as a shop for buying things from other people (which means you have to put your own gc on it to pay them) and selling your character's stuff (which you put on it) to other people.

Not the same thing at all.

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that allowing multiplay outright wouldn't have the negative impact some people think it would.

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that allowing multiplay outright wouldn't have the negative impact some people think it would.

Not to mention the sudden rush of players who would play and the rush of items into the game. Let's not talk about what's fair for everyone. EL is geared toward people with lots of spare time and with the lack of rules on gc buying/selling, it gives people a way to blatently break the spirit of the rule.

Seems to me that allowing multi would put a huge damper on rl $ trades, free up tons of Aislinn's coffee/logs breakfast/lunch/dinner times. (sarcasm included ais ;p )

People would be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor as Ais mentioned.

Without rules, EL wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure I agree. The PK server has been humming along nicely for several years with basically no rules (other than obvious ones like no macroing and such). The problem with the PK server is lack of people, not some market apocalypse caused by most people using more than one character.

EL favors people who have the time to play. Someone who plays 5 hours a day will accomplish more than a person who plays 1 hour a day (perhaps 5x as much). If that same person plays 2-3 chars for 5 hours a day they'll accomplish even more (perhaps 10x as much). So playing multiple chars allows those with more time to make even faster progress compared to those with little time. I don't know if that's good, or bad.

That said, I play the PK server 99%+ with a single character (not using any alts). And yes, the last few months I've found myself falling behind people who put in similar amounts of time using alts. Oh well, I'm having fun and that's what it's about. I'm very pleased with the progress I've made, and pretty proud I've done most of it as a single char.

Legalizing the use of alts on main would totally change the nature and feel of the server. But like Korrode, I'm not convinced it would be a bad thing. The multi-year test on the PK server has not suffered for it.

Still, there's a difference between starting that way (as PK did) and switching modes (as would happen on main). Also, PK has a limiter given that chars are not free, so people generally have a few alts, not dozens. But, most people don't have the compute power to play more than just a few clients so dozens of alts would not be an advantage.

I don’t like this idea. You can make alt which will you use to harvest and alchemy/craft/manufacturing. This way you will supply yourself with all you need and don’t buy it from other players.

This will impact all players who created character (nexuses etc) for above purpose.

I like the way it is working now.

On the PK server we manage to run several chars, some people have 2 some have 3 or 4. No cooldown/mini events on mixing helps your "mixer char" to progress faster and so supply your fighter. Of course some people like they do on main don't even have a fighter char. I personally prefer the game play on PK, but you have to be able to handle playing virtually on your own. Maybe if more people came and tried it, that would change :)...so....come on over!

I have a pk character and I really dislike the cooldown. Playing for a while on main, I really dont get the point of no cooldown, it ruins the fun for myself.

That character is at overall 30.

If you want to have tons of alt chars, you shouldnt play a mmo, because its about interactions with other palyers because you always need stuff

Edited by roman_gruber

I don’t like this idea. You can make alt which will you use to harvest and alchemy/craft/manufacturing. This way you will supply yourself with all you need and don’t buy it from other players.

This will impact all players who created character (nexuses etc) for above purpose.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. If we are allowed to buy stuff from our alts, then this hurts people who invested in a lot of nexus.

The PK server has been humming along nicely for several years

rly?

The problem with the PK server is lack of people

rly :P

So it doesn't "humm along nicely" at all.

That said, the PK server's issues are MANY, multiplay doesn't have anything to do with it imo, it's other stuff that makes that server lame.

edit:

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. If we are allowed to buy stuff from our alts, then this hurts people who invested in a lot of nexus.

This mentality is EL's undoing.

Greedy players not willing to consider a change becasue it will reduce the value of their prior work.

95%+ of EL's players do not take overall game balance/accessibility/etc. into account when they comment on suggestions, they only think about the impact on their own character... and Radu listens. In his view he can't afford to lose/upset a few players now to gain more later.

These people deserve a good chunk of the blame for EL's deteriorating playerbase.

I was listening to my brother and one of our mutual friends talking about WoW last night. These guys are long-time, high level, high gear, high achievement players. They were complaining about how Blizzard initally makes item X really hard to get, and then later makes it easier. They complained about how they spent so much time getting X and now new people can get it easier.

But guess what... they still keep playing WoW, and Blizzard keep doing it, because Blizzard know that balancing the game overall will in the long run equate to more players and happy players.

anyways going a bit OT now...

Edited by Korrode

This is a multiplayer game, and your supposed to interact with other players not have a love fest with yourselfs.

@Learner

You know there just might be tonnes of people out there who, despite multiplay being allowed, still aint gonna level a multitude of mixing skills on any of their chars.

but w/e idc really, if i want to gear up an alt char i'll just throw RL$ at the situation till i get what i want (where do u think Revik char's drag armor, brod, tonnes of bronze swords and acc/eva and EMPs and etc. etc. came from? :P ).

If I could supply it with some gc via Korrode's gc earning ability I would do that and not give gc sellers business, but what does it matter.

Edited by Korrode

I dont like this idea. You can make alt which will you use to harvest and alchemy/craft/manufacturing. This way you will supply yourself with all you need and dont buy it from other players.

I have all nexus used in game and high levels in most skills but spend at least 80% harvesting flowers/mining.

It was a goal for me to be able to make everything I needed, because trading take so much time.

It's rare that I buy or sell to other people, travelling take to much time/I need to leave what I'm doing.

A lot of things are better to sell/buy to NPCs, they are always on the same place and the prices are always the same.

Prices on all harvested items go up and more and more items are bought from NPCs - like iron bars.

When I started to play this game, 6 or 7 years ago, was it a nice familyfriendly game.

Now are you only able to play with some unknown people all over the world, but I like to play with family and friends, like I do in other games.

It's are common here - and very nice - to sit together and play, from same IP.

I think it's why the game is loosing players.

Edited by Zamirah

This mentality is EL's undoing.

Greedy players not willing to consider a change becasue it will reduce the value of their prior work.

95%+ of EL's players do not take overall game balance/accessibility/etc. into account when they comment on suggestions, they only think about the impact on their own character... and Radu listens. In his view he can't afford to lose/upset a few players now to gain more later.

These people deserve a good chunk of the blame for EL's deteriorating playerbase.

I was listening to my brother and one of our mutual friends talking about WoW last night. These guys are long-time, high level, high gear, high achievement players. They were complaining about how Blizzard initally makes item X really hard to get, and then later makes it easier. They complained about how they spent so much time getting X and now new people can get it easier.

But guess what... they still keep playing WoW, and Blizzard keep doing it, because Blizzard know that balancing the game overall will in the long run equate to more players and happy players.

anyways going a bit OT now...

Say hi to your brother for me :)

ok, I respect your points and reasoning. You make some good points there. But I would say this is entirely up to radu so if radu thinks I should be able to buy stuff from my alts, then fine by me. It will take a while to adjust to the concept but we adjust as always.

Learner's concern is very valid too. If I can do everything myself and not interact with other players, I lose some community aspects of the game. Previously I used to prefer to buy my armor from bots or NPCs. Now I changed and I would rather gather ings even if it is more expensive and have someone mix them for me just because it means I can get others to help me.

If I wanted to play with myself I would rather get myself some Jenna Jameson starred game (vide Grand Theft Auto) or movie.

I've seen a few games completely crowded with alts. Wasn't a nice surrounding to play.

ok, I respect your points and reasoning. You make some good points there. But I would say this is entirely up to radu so if radu thinks I should be able to buy stuff from my alts, then fine by me. It will take a while to adjust to the concept but we adjust as always.

Learner's concern is very valid too. If I can do everything myself and not interact with other players, I lose some community aspects of the game. Previously I used to prefer to buy my armor from bots or NPCs. Now I changed and I would rather gather ings even if it is more expensive and have someone mix them for me just because it means I can get others to help me.

Although in the long run I personally don't think player-to-player interaction would reduce all that much, I ofc can't know that 100% for sure, yours and Learner's (and others) concerns could be realised... but this is nuts. This year alone we've had over 70 posts in the Bans section and you know a damn good percentage of them are multiplay related. How many more players do we need to lose to this?

Lots of people want to multiplay, and they want to continue playing EL enough that they're willing to scheme and lie and what not to (try to) get away with it.

Trading between characters is allowed in many other MMO's (including the infamous WoW) and they still kick along fine. We even have PvE group activities in EL now such as instance and invances, the infrastructure is in place for more player interaction than ever before, but that means nothing if there's not plenty of players.

Although in the long run I personally don't think player-to-player interaction would reduce all that much, I ofc can't know that 100% for sure, yours and Learner's (and others) concerns could be realised... but this is nuts. This year alone we've had over 70 posts in the Bans section and you know a damn good percentage of them are multiplay related. How many more players do we need to lose to this?

Lots of people want to multiplay, and they want to continue playing EL enough that they're willing to scheme and lie and what not to (try to) get away with it.

Trading between characters is allowed in many other MMO's (including the infamous WoW) and they still kick along fine. We even have PvE group activities in EL now such as instance and invances, the infrastructure is in place for more player interaction than ever before, but that means nothing if there's not plenty of players.

Given that this has always been in place and enforcement has not been increased , how do you explain why we had asw mani players as we did for a while? That implies there are other more important factors then the multiplay rule making the argument that this rule is the reason for losing players insignificant.

Given that this has always been in place and enforcement has not been increased , how do you explain why we had asw mani players as we did for a while? That implies there are other more important factors then the multiplay rule making the argument that this rule is the reason for losing players insignificant.

I admit that in the scope of stuff that's losing players, this is only a small part of it.

If multi were allowed - the whole way of EL would change.

Create a non antisocial alt that you walk from NPC to NPC buying stuff that you need and bagtrading with the main. Take anti on your main = free pp, you dont need to harv on your main - take HoS - more free PP.

Better yet have oa non anti alt by each NPC - save walking the buying alt about. Imagine el spammed with raz_trik, raz_mira, raz_gensto etc.

Need steel bars - sit an alt at the coal for a few hours, another at the iron for a few hours - mule from one to the other with a third, then mule in fe - in walks the main - sits on a bag of 2k steel bars and mixes.... No chance of a BJ - lots of exp for the main - for little active time. No need to trade / interract with others.

Take to the ediculous... creature food needs 12 different flowers. have 12 alts constantly harv the flowers and mule to store - constant supply of ingredients.

If there was a restriction that all trades must be fair - fine - pay the alts from main - sell the GC and earn $!

Lets have alts sitting at the entrance to all PK areas - see someone enter - whistle up the main.

Buy a fairly high lvl character - reset it - have them pvp with your main - loads of exp - better yet do it with 8 at once!

Imagine the crowds at EVTR iron if we all had a semi afk alt there.

In short would totally negate the need for any interraction with other people.

You describe the most elaborate scenario, the most extreme case.

removing anti perk from the game would help too :P

Edited by Korrode

Only because im tired and just don't want to type several scenarios i'll just give you 1 that i think would make ppl think a bit more about if the multi rule would be removed...

Someone has a char built as a pr0 trainer and hogs a spawn for hours/days/months/years (yeah exaggerating a bit here :P ) because he has several alts made to provide the trainer all the items he needs to just keep going (essies/pots/armors/weapons/WE) mixing everything while the trainer is afk training.

Ppl nag about to few spawns for this and that creature freequently imagine how it would be if the above would be a day to day basic..

NN all.

Edited by Entris

Someone has a char built as a pr0 trainer and hogs a spawn for hours/days/months/years (yeah exaggerating a bit here :P ) because he has several alts made to provide the trainer all the items he needs to just keep going (essies/pots/armors/weapons/WE) mixing everything while the trainer is afk training.

And there is the solution for your problem: remove afk training

Multiplaying only affects the game mechanics and economy, when ppl can run one char somehow automated and use the other char to make money/stuff.

When they really have to fight and keep an eye on their char, they cant make money/stuff on another char.

So the problem is not multiplaying, it's afk training, which would harm the game.

Piper

if they want more than one alt why can't they come up with hooking all there alts to one storage then they wouldn't have trouble with Multiplaying

make it easyer on mods

So it doesn't "humm along nicely" at all.

Common misconception. For those who commit and play the PK server, it's lots of fun. I've enjoyed being there full time the last few years and will continue to play it more than main. The server being fun to play does not imply everyone needs to play there.

That said, the PK server's issues are MANY, multiplay doesn't have anything to do with it imo, it's other stuff that makes that server lame.

There can't be "many" issues because it's just not that different from main. PK areas, a/d cap, no mini-events and no cooldown. That's just not much difference. But I will admit that three of those directly apply to characters focused on training/fighting/PK. Those people may well consider it lame. But for well-rounded players or non-fighters, it's great (not lame).

And I still submit that multi-play on the PK server has not destroyed it. But the ramifications of changing main are probably beyond anyone's ability to fully foresee.

I agree with Raz and others; legal multi is a bad idea. Either 1.all multi activities are legal with plenty of negative results, or 2. only some legal multi-this would not save too much time for mods, i wouldn't think. They would still have to monitor everyone interacting with their alt.

With a much smaller population multi works fine, and is almost necessary on pk server atm. I'de like to see how a legal multi EL community would develop there as the population grew.. so all for multi should join pk server :P

People can do this now using friends/hyperbags, it wouldn't happen with multiplay allowed for the same reason it doesn't happen now - cause you get the shit serped out of you if you do that.