Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

My file manager

I've been working, in my spare time, at a little file manager. it works on Windows, Linux, OSX (with some modifications) and probably on *BSD too.

It is not yet complete, and there are probably some bugs, but it is somewhat functional. It's a two panel file manager, very similar in looks with Win Navigator.

Here are the windows binaries and Linux source doe: http://www.eternal-lands.com/fm.zip

It doesn't have a name yet, was thinking of either Final Commander or Stakhanov Commander.

If you want to compile it for Linux, get SDL_ttf devel, unzip and make.

Let me know what you think.

Some shortcuts:

Enter to activate the current file.

Cltr and numpad + to select all files with the same extension as the cursor file. - to deselect.

Numpad * to select all files.

Click on the directory name on the top of each panel for a bookmarks menu.

Arrow keys, home/end to navigate through files.

Ins or right click to select files.

Right now, only F5 (copy) and F7 (make dir) work.

P.S. This is not meant for those who are Explorer (and similar file managers) fans.

As I said, I hardly ever use file managers. I like the simplicity and speed of this one, though it needs some polishing. Current wishlist:

*) Make the quit button work :D

*) static buffers everywhere without bounds checking. Perhaps one can't make path names that are long enough to overflow the buffer, but I don't see any guarantees on that.

*) mkdir doesn't handle all values of errno, and the error string is not initialized, so trying to create a directory named a/b can (and did in my case) result in an "interesting" error message. Or a segfault of course, if you're unlucky.

*) UTF-8 support would be much appreciated

*) Make file sort work ascending or descending for all groupings (so also name, extension, w/e)

*) scrollbar (that I can use with a mouse) for large directory listings

Those are good points. But keep in min that this is a very pre release thingy, I will not announce it 'officially' until I have more stuff working.

About UTF-8 support, I never tried it, but I would have assumed that it would work, at least partially. Can you maybe send me a tar.gz with some UTF-8 file names?

Ok, I added UTF8 support (for Linux), finished the file copy routine so that it now also copies devices, pipes, etc., and now delete works as well.

Interesting idea to use SDL for a multiplatform utility. I would use gui extensions like wxWidgets. Is there any network functionality planned (like copying files via scp and ftp)?

New version available, same link. Now there is a config menu (not fully finished).

csiga, I used SDL because it is almost as portable as C, pretty much any OS and distro has it. And it is faster than external GUI libs, and the looks are more consistent too.

I plan to eventually add sftp/ftps and entering archives and stuff, but probably not soon, because it's pretty complicated to add properly. If you have ideas how to do it, I am interested.

if you are planning on adding OS specific code, file/directory monitoring would be nice (using inotify) on linux. http://linux.die.net/man/7/inotify

it helps in case I have a folder open in the file manager and one of the files inside it gets deleted by some other application. the file list would update to show that this directory was modified.

Yeah, I plan to add that eventually, after I am done with the basic stuff.

There is already quite a bit of OS specific code in there anyway.

I tried the newest version, here is my thoughts:

- after creating a dir, it would be nice to have the cursor moved to the newly created directory (usually people will enter to the dir after creation)

- file and directory names starting with dot (.) also need to handle as hidden files (on Linux/Unix systems)

- I can bookmark the same dir on the same panel multiple times, is that ok?

- file and directory names starting with dot (.) also need to handle as hidden files (on Linux/Unix systems)

It already handles .files and .folders as hidden.

- after creating a dir, it would be nice to have the cursor moved to the newly created directory (usually people will enter to the dir after creation)

Yeah, those things are on my to do list after I finish the config menu.

They don't?

- I can bookmark the same dir on the same panel multiple times, is that ok?

Yeah, you can also delete them with a right click, so not a big issue.