Eternal Lands Official Forums

What about making a new command like /follow . When i was banned i played WoW 2 weeks and saw a good command . So i suggest when you want to follow someone to type /follow <name> and leave the player follows the leader ;) it will be very cool . Please comment this topic also like the Duel Button one. And lets hope mods to put them ingame :)

Such a command would be nice, if it would be implemented like this:

playerxxx types "#follow the_piper"

then the_piper gets a message

"playerxxx wants to follow you, please type #follow_accept playerxxx to accept"

Then the_piper types "#follow_accept playerxxx"

Otherwise, without accepting a "follower", it could be used for harrasment, and anyways, all rules about spamming other players with unwanted messages would cover this case too.

3rd command needed would then be #follow_stop, to stop following a player.

Just to stop following a player and having a chance to escape, when that not so nice player tries to get you into a PK map :)

Would be a nice feature to show newbies the world.

Piper

Such a command would be nice, if it would be implemented like this:

playerxxx types "#follow the_piper"

then the_piper gets a message

"playerxxx wants to follow you, please type #follow_accept playerxxx to accept"

Then the_piper types "#follow_accept playerxxx"

Otherwise, without accepting a "follower", it could be used for harrasment, and anyways, all rules about spamming other players with unwanted messages would cover this case too.

3rd command needed would then be #follow_stop, to stop following a player.

Just to stop following a player and having a chance to escape, when that not so nice player tries to get you into a PK map :)

Piper

Yes thats what im talking about piper ;) and also we can have command #ignore_follow <name> or #ignore_follow (for ignoring all the follows)

And as for LittleLooter - what is the matter that this is from WoW :/ ? We have to make this game more cool for the newbies and for every player :)

This reminds me on grouping implemented in all MUDs :)

Where one is a group leader and all who follow him are followers ... If group leader attacks somebody, all followers auto-attack etc.

However it would need a lot of thinking and tweaking to stop macro-ers abusing this.

Overall i like this idea :icon13:

This reminds me on grouping implemented in all MUDs :)

Can I has groupies?

I don't see much use for this command in EL (other than making some illegal activity easier).

I played WoW too. this feature was used mainly to:

+ travel vast distances together (and allowing someone to go afk in the meantime)

- not applicable here, unless ppl would automatically follow through map flags and be led to the nearest PK map :P

- here you can click on a map and the char goes there, in WoW the only thing you could do was toggle autorun/walk - straight ahead

- maps aren't so big

+ stick together in complex boss-fighting tactics

- it's entirely different here

+ have a higher lvl afk-follower as a helper or pvp scarecrow

- illegal multiplaying is easier this way :P

- there's no horde/alliance here... there are PK maps, but only the bravest go afk there :)

- as semi-afk helper I guess someone could help train a/d by killing higher creatures, muling stuff and recovering db

that said, I think the feature would be just for occasional fun. also looking at the current moving system I think it would be difficult to introduce. I'd rather see something of more use to take developers time

EDIT: slight correction, I just thought of a way to make it simple: the char could just 'attack' the player it follows every 2 seconds w/o actually attacking, like moving to the nearest tile that is in the immediate vicinity of the player. nevertheless it's fun but not really needed imo

PS. MUDs! :D You're in a forest. You go north. You go south. You arrived at the castle gate. Imagination is the best graphic card ;)

Edited by malameo

Agreed. From the viewpoint of a guild that focuses on recruiting new players, a follow-me command would be (at least imho) a very helpful and useful facility, particularly for those of us with an interest in helping and encouraging new players. Aside from the 'guided tour' aspect, there's plenty of other aspects where the facility would be a great aid in supporting others undertaking quests, teaching them where and how to harv/mix, or simply showing ppl the best way to get from a - b. I'm guessing there are also potential applications to both pk and hauling ings, besides the obvious 'fun' aspect.

I'm no expert on the el comms protocol, but given that the position of a 'lead' char can be determined from the client-side, it would seem possible that a simple facility could be implemented purely through the client side code. However, i'm guessing the limitation would be that the chain would depend on the leader remaining in sight of the follower. Yup, that could be minimised by automatically reducing the distance between follower and leader to the shortest possible, but it seems much more fun simply to let players decide the distance, as well as to select an offset from 360 degrees of the leaders position. Dunno if the latter might give rise to some interesting possibilities for group based pk. Perhaps one of our many residents experts could suggest.

Not sure how a facility simply to follow another player might be used for illegal reasons (as has previously been suggested), or whether the risks are such that the facility is impractical. Perhaps that poster would like to expand on this as his reasons are not apparent (at least to me).

With regard to another poster's suggestion that the idea should be ignored simply because it comes from wow, irrespective of EL being (at least imho) far and away the superior game, that's not to say that there aren't aspects of wow which might work just as well (if not better) in EL, or which might provide a seed idea for further innovation.

Edited by themuntdregger