Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

OpenGL 2.0 test client

Bluap, if you want to maintain a 1.x GL version that's good, but we are going to have to use two sets of data. One of the reasons for an OpenGL 2 client is that we want to have some terrain, and that can't be done properly with OpenGl 1.x (at least, not with the manpower we have).

I haven't been able to build this client for some time now:

[  6%] Building CXX object engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/sceneresources.cpp.o
/home/XXXXX/elgl2/src/elc/engine/sceneresources.cpp:17:35: fatal error: shadersourcebuilder.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/sceneresources.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Update for me:

Generally (under the debug option for the 2.x opengl version), this client is running great. Improved fps, usually faster loading times.

However, I am running into a problem mapchanging into White Stone, both from neighboring maps and interior house maps. I get hung up at the "loading instances" section of the blue bar and almost always disconnects me. It's a bit of a struggle to log back in too.

<0:31>: Disconnected from server!

Press Alt-x to close the game

Resync with the server...

Resync with the server...

Connecting to Server...

My ~/.elc/log/main_xxx.log at pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/RXfUM1uG

I haven't been able to build this client for some time now:

[  6%] Building CXX object engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/sceneresources.cpp.o
/home/XXXXX/elgl2/src/elc/engine/sceneresources.cpp:17:35: fatal error: shadersourcebuilder.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/sceneresources.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I get the same error, looks like some shadersourcebuilder.hpp has not been added to git.

After a busy time and a lot of work, the branch should come now again. New features are:

* Basic lua support

* Shader generator to be able to build all the stuff needed for testing and different qualities (at the moment not-user friendly to change the settings)

* Basic shadow suppor

* Support for PCH (pre compiled shaders) to reduce build time. Currently only gcc and clang support

Edited by Xaphier

Video card: RADEON XPRESS 200M Series SW TCL x86/SSE2

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.0.5757 WinXP Release

my test client opens then closes in a matter of 1 or 2 seconds.......what would cause this to be?

i tried out the new client and it worked well for about 3/4 of a day and then it started randomly crashing. eventually i couldn't use el at all; once i typed my login info into welcome screen and hit enter it would crash. i posted logs on pastebin, here is the link: http://pastebin.com/PruvTiSc

hope this'll help fix any problems guys, and thank you because this new client is awesomely faster, i loved it!

aislar

Hii got this problem :

[ 10%] Building CXX object engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/meshbuilder.cpp.o

/home/cordor/git/elc/engine/meshbuilder.cpp: In Konstruktor »eternal_lands::MeshBuilder::MeshBuilder()«:

/home/cordor/git/elc/engine/meshbuilder.cpp:35:7: Fehler: »GLEW_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert

make[2]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/meshbuilder.cpp.o] Fehler 1

make[1]: *** [engine/CMakeFiles/elengine.dir/all] Fehler 2

make: *** [all] Fehler 2

with this card :

Video card: GeForce FX 5900XT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30

i have to use the legacy driver what is not anymore supported for updates !

Anyway tyvm for developing this great game :icon13:

Hii got this problem :

/home/cordor/git/elc/engine/meshbuilder.cpp: In Konstruktor »eternal_lands::MeshBuilder::MeshBuilder()«:

/home/cordor/git/elc/engine/meshbuilder.cpp:35:7: Fehler: »GLEW_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert

with this card :

I installed the Glew librarys now it compiles but i got a segmention foult by starting the client and guess its a Kubuntu problem .

Hmm i compiled the latest client (on Xubuntu 11.10 64b) but it segfaults on startup ...

I forgot to copy the shaders folder from the checked out directory ...

Works now :icon13:

So after a minute or two it crashed ... I was just sitting in evtr and harvesting shrooms. The harvesting effect did not work tho ...

This is the stacktrace from the crash:

(gdb) run lrnr-main
Starting program: /Downloads/elclient/debug/el_client lrnr-main
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 0x7fffefe4e700 (LWP 2951)]
[New Thread 0x7fffef64d700 (LWP 2952)]
[New Thread 0x7fffeee4c700 (LWP 2953)]
[New Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2954)]
[New Thread 0x7fffed618700 (LWP 2955)]
[Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2954) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2956)]
[Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2956) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2957)]
[Thread 0x7fffee64b700 (LWP 2957) exited]
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'eternal_lands::OpenGlException'
 what():  std::exception

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0x00007ffff500e3a5 in raise () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff500e3a5 in raise () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007ffff5011b0b in abort () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#2  0x00007ffff56b6d7d in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler() () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#3  0x00007ffff56b4f26 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#4  0x00007ffff56b4f53 in std::terminate() () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#5  0x00007ffff56b504e in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#6  0x0000000000b7f5d1 in eternal_lands::HardwareBuffer::set_size (this=0xbb94660, type=eternal_lands::hbt_vertex, size=28800, usage=eternal_lands::hbut_dynamic_draw)
   at /Downloads/elclient/elc/engine/hardwarebuffer.cpp:33
#7  0x0000000000b0647f in ec::Effect::build_particle_buffer (this=0xbb945e0, time_diff=22622) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp:252
#8  0x0000000000b13629 in ec::EyeCandy::idle (this=0x1111300) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp:2757
#9  0x0000000000928791 in ec_idle () at /Downloads/elclient/elc/eye_candy_wrapper.cpp:480
#10 0x0000000000a48f8c in display_console_handler (win=0x2758800) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/consolewin.c:105
#11 0x0000000000a966a2 in draw_window (win=0x2758800) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/elwindows.c:1253
#12 0x0000000000a96f81 in display_window (win_id=2) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/elwindows.c:1438
#13 0x0000000000a93717 in display_windows (level=1) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/elwindows.c:78
#14 0x0000000000a0f330 in draw_scene () at /Downloads/elclient/elc/draw_scene.c:129
#15 0x0000000000a3e16f in start_rendering () at /Downloads/elclient/elc/main.c:212
#16 0x0000000000a3ea34 in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe198) at /Downloads/elclient/elc/main.c:441
(gdb) 

Edited by groomsh

Hii got this problem :

with this card :

I installed the Glew librarys now it compiles but i got a segmention foult by starting the client and guess its a Kubuntu problem .

Now i compiled with cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug on Kubuntu 11.10 with the same problem and debug message :

el_client-debug: /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/scoped_ptr.hpp:97: T* boost::scoped_ptr<T>::operator->() const [with T = eternal_lands::Scene]: Assertion `px != 0' failed.

Now i compiled with cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug on Kubuntu 11.10 with the same problem and debug message :

el_client-debug: /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/scoped_ptr.hpp:97: T* boost::scoped_ptr<T>::operator->() const [with T = eternal_lands::Scene]: Assertion `px != 0' failed.

I encountered the same problem. It was due to an OpenGL error in init_gl_extensions() not being cleared (because DEBUG was not defined). This leads init_engine() to throw an exception, which in turn causes scene not to be initalized.

Ok, I managed to compile it, put the new shaders someplace where the client can find them, and now I can log in. Unfortunately, it currently looks like this

What did I miss? Is there any game data (besides the shaders directory) which needs updating?

Yes, you need '3dobjects/tile.e3d', 'textures/noise.dds', 'textures/water_normal.dds' and 'textures/lava.dds'.

These files should be in the download-packages in this thread...

martin@kellerkind /usr/share/games/eternal-lands $ ~/el-opengl2.x86_64.linux.dynamic.optimised.korrode.2.bin

Segmentation fault

EDIT: Now it works with a self compiled version on gentoo, forgot to copy some files (hard to find in this long thread).

When i press on tap for the map it crashes.

EDIT: On slow maps like MM it is much faster. If you are inside where fps is very fast normally, it is a bit slower than the old client. For example: VOTD inside about 300 fps with gl2 client, about 500 fps with the old one. In MM i get about double fps if the camera is turned to the ground and i look to the horizon. It runs more smooth, too.

Edited by Erdie