Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

OpenGL 2.0 test client

If Lorck is too, might be worth trying rolling back to 27x.xx driver... since on Arch and now Frugalware with 275.xx it works fine for me.

I've updated the Linux static client attempts here (the shaders are updated too). I've also built Debian and Ubuntu packages. If you are using my PPA or Debian repository you can try them out by updating your packages and installing the eternallands-ogl2 package. The new package includes the required data files.

Edited by bluap

Sorry for answering late, but my version is: OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 275.09.07

Also tried the korrode's new binary and the glew version didn't match, later i will try to rollback to glew version 1.5.

If Lorck is too, might be worth trying rolling back to 27x.xx driver... since on Arch and now Frugalware with 275.xx it works fine for me.

Curious, the most recent recompile has working sound for me, but it's still black.

I found some 270.x.x and some 275.x.x old nvidia packages in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory. Guess I'll start with the newest and work backwards and see what happens.

Can't downgrade without downgrading back to kernel2.6.xx.

Ok, now the client development and bug fixing made great progress thanks to all your testing. The current git version of the OpenGL 2 client has a shader quality option (settings -> gfx). When you have problems, try changing the shader quality. The qualities from low to high only increase the rendering quality, the debug quality is something to use if no other quality worked.

Sir Odie and Xaphier know this already but I'm posting for everyone else's info:

This most recent version works for me now.

For those of you with the OpenGL 2.x black screen troubles, try Options -> GFX -> Debug if low-medium-high don't work for you.

For those of you with the OpenGL 2.x black screen troubles, try Options -> GFX -> Debug if low-medium-high don't work for you.

K, done that and it works great now.

Using Sir_Odie's build from above and GFX in Debug makes it work for me too (probably a few FPS faster too :)

However, my thermal serp looks like a normal tit serp to me now :P (just thought I should mention it). Besides that it look good :)

I've tryed this on Mac OS X 10.6.8, got this message after the log-in:

[15:40:03] Low framerate detected, shadows disabled!

but I just see all black: I can clearly read characters' names, NPCs names, all the rest is just darkness...

by the way, I've tryed also the older version, but that simply crashed after a min.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Chipset Model NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Vendor NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL version = 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.0

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo

Is there anything I can do?

Shall I look for other infos to give? Or is that enough?

ps As Lorck, I was in Nordcarn.

Edited by Toltha

:rolleyes: thank you, Aislinn.

sorry I haven't read your post about (the other one you wrote, not this up here) that before...

so, this way, client works. but FPS are 12 - 15; using the 'normal' client they are 40 - 45

and the 'Low framerate detected, shadows disabled!' message remains.

Maybe I'll try to change something else too in Options...

I am testing the MAC client.

Initial things I noticed are that my FPS are:

lower than with the older one (~19-25 compared to 49 with the older version),

needs debug so it's not black every time I start it (at high quality the FPS drop even more),

thermal serp sword looks like normal serp when worn (looks fine in storage and inventory),

and there are no leaves on the trees at all (not sure about bushes).

I hope that was helpfull

iMac

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.36

Edited by dabrat

I've finally got round to testing the new client on a couple of additional machines used in my house to play EL. They are both laptops with Intel graphics and both run the current release client fine with poorman enabled. Both now exit with the "OpenGL 2.1" version error.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS fully updated:
Error: OpenGL 2.1 needed, but onlny '1.4 Mesa 7.9-devel' found!
Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Ubuntu 11.04 Fully updated:
Error: OpenGL 2.1 needed, but onlny '1.4 Mesa 7.10.2' found!
Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Looks like this is a hardware support problem, not software. When the new client ships, I guess there'll be a little less EL in my house;)

P.S. Perhaps exit with this error should be an assertion so that its obvious what the cause is.

Edited by bluap

2nd hand opengl2 video cards = $10

:P

Hard to add a video card to laptops and some desktop systems even.

One note to people with really new Intel laptops, the ones with two videos chips, you might have to tell the machine EL is a 3D app or you will get horrible FPS

Bluap, the idea is to make the total switch (to require OpenGL 2) somewhere around the end of 2012 or so.

How old are those laptops?

Bluap, the idea is to make the total switch (to require OpenGL 2) somewhere around the end of 2012 or so.

How old are those laptops?

Two or three years old. It's good to know the intended time line. When you say "total switch" does this imply you intend to maintain support for the old client as we move forward with the new one? As a client dev, I'd be happy to support this approach and the use of git version control makes it much easier than it would have been previously. If you are prepared to backport any new data required, back porting any required code changes should be fine.

Hey,

trying the OpenGL 2.0 Client from the 15th August on Windows 7.

Suddenly my graphic-card driver crashed. Windows restarted it, but then Eternal Lands was frozen.

First time it happend I cant exactly remember what I did, but I was in White Stone.

Second time I was in White Stone, and wanted to put something in a bag.

My graphic card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 330m running with driver version 189.86

Greetings Ecke

Hey,

trying the OpenGL 2.0 Client from the 15th August on Windows 7.

Suddenly my graphic-card driver crashed. Windows restarted it, but then Eternal Lands was frozen.

First time it happend I cant exactly remember what I did, but I was in White Stone.

Second time I was in White Stone, and wanted to put something in a bag.

Greetings Ecke

There is a newer driver out already. Try the new 280.26 driver.

You can find it here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-280.26-whql-driver.html

As Raistlin said, try updating to 280.x drivers.

I have GTS 360M and it works without problems (both on Win7 and also on ubuntu 11.04)

@bluap

Mesa Gallium3D i915 driver (supports 945 GPU's).

Gallium3D driver does, iirc, provide an OpenGL 3.1 layer and will get the GPU to do what it can and deal with other stuff via software/CPU.

Recent benchmarks of the Gallium3D i915 driver show it almost on par with Intel's official Mesa DRI driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_915g3d_jun2011&num=2

So there's hope for Linux users on Intel 915 and 945 GPU's.

Okay, updated my Driver. But I have a Laptop with a hybrid grafics card, and the 280.x drivers dont support that.

I updated to 189.97.

Then played a bit. Then again the game crashed, when i tried to put something in a bag in WS.

Anything im doing wrong?