Eternal Lands Official Forums
hobobob38

Bigger Channel Limit

This is a very good idea. We could add a mentoring channel where players can ask for help and chat as well. The channel description would say to PM if your question is missed in chat. This way newbies could get help and chat at the same time. There would be no flames and no harassment of newbies for asking 'stupid' questions. Mid-level players could ask questions too. The idea being that you are in the channel for one of two reasons: you need help or you want to give help. It should be easy by reading the chat to tell who to PM for help if your question gets missed in chat.

This would really be a massive help to all players and if we had more channels open at once then players would not have to miss out on one part of the game to have this channel open. There are players now who have to choose between channels already. Give everyone a chance to enjoy access to more parts of the game and add this mentoring channel to help grow the community. Sounds helpful to me.

and btw, why the channels are limited to 3 ? is there a security/limited coding issue ? maybe there is a good reason to not have more than 3 channels open ?

It is a server code limitation. I assume it was done that way as early on 3 channels seemed heaps.

I expect there is a fair amount of work to change the number of channels over in the server code (there is a decent amount of work required in the client) so I doubt Ent would see it beneficial to spend time doing it, which is a shame. I have certainly asked for the number of channels to be changed in the past.

I do not think Radu cares to make any channel improvements whether they are easy or not. Player communication is not a problem unless it is not happening at all. If something new gets put in that needs a new channel then that is just one more choice you are going to have to make in channel choices. Think of it as role play. Your character decides who is benefiting or who is suffering based on your choice of channels and conversation. This can be a daily decision if your character is fickle or it can be set in stone if your character has certain goals. Mix it up, push it around and have fun with it.

EL has survived this long with the system in place. Written in stone and quantifiable to the last bit is the kind of improvement you have to present to provide a reason for change. Only more channels would do that and that does not seem likely to happen so lets forget about channel changes shall we?

I do not think Radu cares to make any channel improvements whether they are easy or not. Player communication is not a problem unless it is not happening at all. If something new gets put in that needs a new channel then that is just one more choice you are going to have to make in channel choices.

Since the invance channels where introduced, the wish to have more active channels are, imho, again actual.

I have for example 3 friend channel. I have to leave 1 channel to join market for ads. Then come back to friend channel. Then change to invance chan to see what happens and so on....

EL has survived this long with the system in place.....

I think 5-6 active channels would be in the logic of the evolution of EL.

Agreed... I am always having to switch between market, invasion, and newbie help because of the 2 channels I am in privately with friends. (that are harder to remember than 2, 3, and 6)

An extra one to switch from 6 and 3 would be justifiable for me.