Eternal Lands Official Forums
Cycloonx

Flex chat client

Hi guys,

I've been busy lately with building a nice little framework which I can use to make a nice chat client for EL. Since this one is made in flex I can also build clients for android, ios and a webclient. Normally it should also run on mac os and unix.

You can get an install file to install on your local computer over here: http://el-chat.embril.net/Client.air

You need to have the adobe air runtime installed, which can be found here: http://get.adobe.com/air/

I've tried to build a web app, but there are some security issues I need to get fixed. Sad enough only radu can help me with this because the socket server actually needs to send some security settings. After he's back from vacation I will pm with him about this.

Current features:

- Login on main server

- Server messages

- #GM and #IG

- local chat

- channel chat

- pm

- the // feature for pm'ing the last person (same as in EL client)

- Buddy list

- people/creatures around you + health + colored guild tag

- clickable URLs in the chat window

The next several days I have plenty of time and following features will be added:

- afk message

- tabbed chat(tab per channel/pm)

- trading

- mixing (which I had allowance for, but I will first check out the details with radu)

If you want to have any other features, please tell me. If you find bugs, also tell me :icon13:

Also feel free to post your experiences with the chat client.

PS: I had earlier pms with Radu, and he allowed this client already.

Edited by Cycloonx

Do you send an additional server flag to say that it is a chat client and not an in game entity (to avoid someone just standing around)?

Do you send an additional server flag to say that it is a chat client and not an in game entity (to avoid someone just standing around)?

No, afaik there is no such flag to send? Your character will always just stand there like all others.

No, afaik there is no such flag to send? Your character will always just stand there like all others.

Okay. I figured as much, but I was just wondering. I have not tested chat client yet, but might want to put in a warning about remembering where you were last (ie don't use if you were last in a PK arena).

If you want to have any other features, please tell me.

I think the AFK chatters would like the ability to harvest. The basic case would be to harvest and drop (just for exp).

More advanced would be to harvest, go to storage, store, and return. I would assume if it may support mixing, then that would include dealing with storage. That would leave movement and map changes needed to store harvested stuff.

And a version that would run in a browser would be fantastic as there are several applications for such a thing (not a standalone program). Specifically I could play a sub-set of EL from my ChromeOS laptop (which doesn't support installing programs).

Unknown: #afk

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk

functionality same as AFK time set to 0 in normal client would be great. :)

edit:

Also, if I scroll up through chat history, when a new line is received the console instantly scrolls back to the bottom. Annoying when trying to read missed conversations.

Edited by Korrode

Okay. I figured as much, but I was just wondering. I have not tested chat client yet, but might want to put in a warning about remembering where you were last (ie don't use if you were last in a PK arena).

I will add such a message at the login screen.

If you want to have any other features, please tell me.

I think the AFK chatters would like the ability to harvest. The basic case would be to harvest and drop (just for exp).

More advanced would be to harvest, go to storage, store, and return. I would assume if it may support mixing, then that would include dealing with storage. That would leave movement and map changes needed to store harvested stuff.

And a version that would run in a browser would be fantastic as there are several applications for such a thing (not a standalone program). Specifically I could play a sub-set of EL from my ChromeOS laptop (which doesn't support installing programs).

Walking and harvesting requires map information on the client. If I ever add this feature it won't be soon. And atm there is a webclient, but it only works when running from your own computer. That is downloading all the needed files and just run it in your browser. But if the security issues can get resolved there will be a webclient available.

Unknown: #afk

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk

functionality same as AFK time set to 0 in normal client would be great. :)

Will be added soon :)

Also, if I scroll up through chat history, when a new line is received the console instantly scrolls back to the bottom. Annoying when trying to read missed conversations.

This is standard behaviour of the text area component, will look at it and try to come with a solution.

Edited by Cycloonx

I've uploaded a new version of the client which adds buddy list support.

I've also changed the app properties, like the name. Windows user can deinstall the old one which was named 'Main'.

Edited by Cycloonx

Nice stuff.

bug: cannot scroll buddy list if window is too small to show whole list (no scroll bar, mousewheel does nothing).

feature request: link opening functionality (same as F2 key in EL client) (would need to be user settable command)

=]

edit:

also, the client doesn't properly respect the mouse-over-focus-but-don't-raise mode i run my window manager in (it always raises when it gets focus), but I doubt this is your issue, more likely an Adobe AIR one.

edit2: plus i should check with another WM to be sure.

Edited by Korrode

bug: cannot scroll buddy list if window is too small to show whole list (no scroll bar, mousewheel does nothing).

I couldn't test this because my friends list is too small. But will look into it.

feature request: link opening functionality (same as F2 key in EL client) (would need to be user settable command)

I have already been looking into this. Will come soon.

edit:

also, the client doesn't properly respect the mouse-over-focus-but-don't-raise mode i run my window manager in (it always raises when it gets focus), but I doubt this is your issue, more likely an Adobe AIR one.

I'm not sure what you are trying to explain, if you can give me some more details I can look into it. But it might be an adobe air problem which I can't change.

I'm not sure what you are trying to explain

This describes it:

http://wlug.org.nz/FocusFollowsMouse

At the bottom u see they mention 'AutoRaise', I don't use 'AutoRaising', but the client somehow 'AutoRaises' when it gets focus. Every other application I run respects my window manager settings, it's very weird that the client can even override this itself.

Edited by Korrode

I've uploaded a new version which can be installed over the old version.

New functionality: Show creatures and players around you. Known issue: Also shows health of npc's which look odd.

Nice work, I also made a chat client as a tcp/ip test project some years ago but in AS3, without the Flex framework which results less filesize and faster performance. Now with the new player I am thinking on pirting EL to a 3D client. Are you interested in this project?

Edited by csiga

It depends. Lately I haven't had much time on my hands. But currently at work i'm also doing some flex work and we are also looking into molehill (Stage 3D called nowadays). If you can get a bigger team together I might put some effort into it.