Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tropicano

in-game cardgame :)

ok, i bet some of you have played final fantasy :) in most (all the new at least, and also Starwars KOTOR) of those games, there is an option to fight vs different NPC's not by fists and guns, but by the power of a carddeck. the cards you play with are all found in different places of the game (some are bought others are monsterdrops - and some very rare are boss drops) depending on how rare they are they are different good. To have a system like this in eternal lands would be great.. now only great, it would be Awsome. I know that this isnt a priority at ALL right now - but just imagine, when you dont have anything better to do, challansge someone in a deck-game, to win your opponent cards, that you can trade/sell if you like - or use them in ur next game.

I dont have any particualr suggestion for the layot of that game, that i leave up to someone experiences in this area - however, one thing that is vital is that you choose from your list of cards be4 you start to play that game (say that you always use 8 cards in a game) and you can therefor only loose one (or all) of those 8 cards you use when you play. that way you could protect your really good cards if you have a feeling that the opponent might actually win.

as I said, this is no priority - but once the economy is fine, and the full version is out, concider it! would be awsome :)

some feedback would be awsome :)

ow did i forgot to mention that - thats the WHOLE IDEA :) I just spoke of NPC's since the other games are all offline games. In this game - YES, Of Course, Players vs Players - Not vs Npcs :)

Guild Chess!

Cool, someone make a map with a giant chess board on which players can move!

Now all I have to do is recruit some pawns :)

ya ya ya ya ya! you could also get player cards, just like in FFVIII ;-)

and every player would get their own card and it would be somehow linear to their levels :-)

summonings maybe?

hmm, i wonder if this could be scripted or it would need real server code to work. man i want to stresstest the abilitys of the script engine :)

nice duran :mrgreen: it would really rock, i mean the card game :)

i fear that it would atleast need the cards to be coded into the server directly but when that is done i think that one can do the cardgame via scripts (alltho how that will load the server i dont know at all!)...

i dont know if i get to work on the scripts yet, i need to have a real good chat with cicero first i guess...

Someone was jsut talknig about horse races..this kind of parallel's it. Would be fun, and keep more players playing when they've got nothin better to do. I dont know any mmorpg that has this, do you guys? Of course there's online cardgames everywhere..but to have one in the game, EL style, would be cool :D. Anyone out here who can design the system? I'd advise to try to research medieval games and see what they're like...of course comming up with your own isn't bad either.

And the graphics for the cards would have to be narrowed down so as not to waste a lot of space. So there should be like basic card groups with a standard picture on each, the text would be done wtih the in game font.

As a first iteration for an in-game game, I'd suggest a simple game that doesn't need items from the players, like checkers. That would help work out the basis for a gaming system and provide a quick proof-of-concept to see if people will play an in-game game.

To add some excitement to it, players could wager an item(s) from their inventory. When one player wins, the server automatically transfers the items over.

And you'd need to be able to still do stuff in the game (EL) while playing the in-game. For example, I'd want to be able to eat, harv, etc. Not like when you're in a trade and you can't do anything else.

Something else: the game could open in a seperate window and talking to the server on a different port (or the same port I guess). If it was a different port then it could be a different server engine that was running the games. And since both server processes are on the same machine, they can use the same database and interact. I'm just thinking that it might be desirable to seperate the in-game from the EL server.

i think it would be better if we make it more imersive (i belive that is the right word). basicly we have the interface in game and while people are playing they can chat and access theyre inventory but they will need to be within some range of the opponent. and while the game is on cant move or harvest, create stuff or similar (best not sit down to do this in a area of agressive monsters). basicly its something that people can do in the tavern or around the isla prima campfire.

maybe we can allow people to look in, they get the same interface but cant play and can at any time leave the game to move on...

Some standard games like BlackJack could be implemented as text based games that a player plays against an NPC. Put the NPC in a tarvern for effect.

And Black Jack would be really easy to implement. Each game uses an array of 52 cards, used cards are out of the game until all cards are used then shuffled. The dealer (NPC) hits on 16, stands on 17+.

The game would work just like a regular conversation with an NPC. You could be manufacturing, or alching, eating, etc. And if the NPC is in a tarvern you won't be harvesting, which is good.

I think this is a good place to start, and easy to implement.

in blackjack you must have more decks than 1, its like 4 minimum and the recomendet amount is 6

sure, blackjack would be easy to implent. But what I thought of is something Unique, a new game.. If you play the FF cardgames you get the idea. the FF8 carfgame is by far the best if you ask me (tho i barley remember it anymore) :) you could get ideas from games like these and develope a new game tru that :D this would not only be a new feature to the game, but also something new to the economy (new items, new buissnies)

it could be much like the Yugioh game (maybe with better graphics tho :) ) as in there are certain all-powerful cards that there is only one of in the whole entire game (random drop maybe.. could even be a rabbit or beaver drop :D ) .. these would be very sought after obviously, so theyd be worth a lot..

btw i'm curious... are we looking for a new card game with the same basic 52 card deck, or something completely different like a CCG (yugioh, pokemon, star wars, etc.) ?