Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

1.9.2 Update

I updated all the drivers and also disabled sounds, but it still crashes after I log in, but before the game loads. The logs look about the same as the one I posted.

Ok, now tell me how exactly did you install the update. And did you try the new exe?

Anyway, try running the client with --debug (from the command line). That should give more info in the log. And then post the last 50 or so lines of the log.

Although I assume bluap's binaries are being used, figured i'd post my 'final builds' anyways.

32bit:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/el192-static/el192.x86.linux.static.korrode.bin

64bit:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/el192-static/el192.x86_64.linux.static.korrode.bin

Will be posted here tomorrow.

The 64bit Arch release patches GCC changing the default dynamic linker location, other distros don't do this and with ones that don't provide a symlink where Arch changes the location too, it doesn't run out of the box (openSUSE for eg. has this issue).

So i'm recompiling the GCC package without that patch applied and will then provide a binary.

I'll also note that Arch does provide a symlink at the normal location so the binaries will still work on Arch out-of-the-box. <- addressed

In the end I've got no external library dependencies that bluap's binaries don't also have, and further reduced the amount of external dependencies by 2 libraries.

Edited by Korrode

I've installed the newly released linux updates that were offered through the update manager in Ubuntu 11.04. Everything seems to be working, but the map changes are extremely slow proportional to the size of the map being entered. Entering WS from NC takes a good 2 seconds where the previous version was almost instant. I'm sure I'm not providing enough info, but if you need something specific just ask.

Maybe it is a cache related issue or something? Most of the people report FASTER map changes, because there were quite a few optimizations done to shorten the map loading time.

Maybe it is a cache related issue or something? Most of the people report FASTER map changes, because there were quite a few optimizations done to shorten the map loading time.

It takes the same amount of time every time I enter the map. I thought possibly the 1st time would be a little slower, but each subsequent times would be faster, but that is not the case. I have a fairly modern computer and video card so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Is there some piece of information I can provide to help?

Edited by loir

I installed bluap update via apt-get (under Ubuntu 10.04).

When I put clothes on, it flickers almost every time : it looks like the clothing is put on, then off, then on again, very quickly. That wasn't happening with 1.9.1.

If that can help, ingame #glinfo gives :

Video card: Mesa DRI R600 (RS880 9712) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL DRI2
Vendor ID: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel

~/.elc/log/load_actors_b5d77b70.log contains :

[21:51:04, engine/logging.cpp:301] Log started at: Thu Jun 16 21:51:04 2011 CEST
[21:51:04, engine/logging.cpp:304] version: 1.9.2
[22:46:34, textures.c:2100] Error: Wrong actor state 3
[22:46:42, textures.c:2100] Error: Wrong actor state 2
[22:53:50]Last message repeated 8times
[22:53:50, textures.c:2100] Error: Wrong actor state 3

System specs first. Also, how slower it is compared to before? And what client did you use before, the 'stock' client or self compiled from git?

- Laptop with AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core and 1.7 Gb RAM.

- Map changes are faster than before.

- Previous client was 1.9.1 from bluap ppa.

mine: AMD 64 dual core 4600, 4GB ram

Ubuntu 64bit 11.04

previous version was 1.9.1 from bluap ppa

I'd say the map changes are probably 4X slower than previous, and there is a significant difference between maps with the larger ones, MM, WS being the slowest. I even noticed it coming from under the tavern in EVTR.

If it helps, the 1st 1/3 of the progress bar when changing maps takes the longest and the 2nd 2/3 is very fast.

So how long does it take to load White Stone?

by my rough experiments with a stopwatch it takes ~2.5-2.75 secs to load WS coming from IP. Going from WS to IP is instant. I repeated this several times.

Could the increased load time be related to Grum's observation on the loading bar? For the people with slow WS load, what is your maximum, uncapped FPS? Probably best assessed inside a building. WS calls the load screen routine 90 times where as, VOTD calls it only 15. If you are FPS limited, that could be a significant difference.

I usually have fps capped at 60, but inside the tavern on IP I can get 160+ fps

Maybe the appearance of slow map changes is due to the fact that every change is the same speed. In the previous version the 1st time I entered WS it took a couple seconds, but subsequent times it was much faster. Now each time it is the same couple seconds.

hmm, since new update :

when i change a map an hoover with mouse over health-bar at bottom

nummers comming um right above it

mostly a green '1' now a red '1' too but also other numbers...

whats that ?

a green number is 'last material points gained'

a red number is 'last material points lost'

if there were no changes to the points within some time (2 minutes iirc) then nothing is displayed

loir - any chance you're using a SSD?

I have also noticed a significant increase in the loading times, for every map that I've tried. Like for loir, it takes around 2.5-2.75s consistently to load WS - in 1.9.1, this change took less than 1s.

That said, this same map change took several seconds in 1.9.1 before I upgraded my laptop's HDD to a SSD (switched from XP to Ubuntu at the same time), and I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the optimizations that were done were geared toward computers with HDDs.

Other system info: Ubuntu 10.10, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

a green number is 'last material points gained'

a red number is 'last material points lost'

if there were no changes to the points within some time (2 minutes iirc) then nothing is displayed

ok, ty :)

I am using a SSD! only for the actual program portion of EL, the ~.elc dir is on a regular hdd

I have also noticed a significant increase in the loading times, for every map that I've tried. Like for loir, it takes around 2.5-2.75s consistently to load WS - in 1.9.1, this change took less than 1s.

That said, this same map change took several seconds in 1.9.1 before I upgraded my laptop's HDD to a SSD (switched from XP to Ubuntu at the same time), and I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the optimizations that were done were geared toward computers with HDDs.

Other system info: Ubuntu 10.10, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

You cannot optimize something for HDD at expense of SSD. They both act as a same unit, only SSD is faster (much faster in fact...)...

I downloaded the entire new file instead of using the patch and installed that. I also switched to Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. One more thing that I found, though. The chat log shows that I did connect so I'm pasting a few lines from that first (friend's name was manually removed).

[17:36:47] Connecting to Server...

[17:36:47] Hi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to continue!

[17:36:55] XXXXXXXXXXXX is online.

[17:37:35] <3:31>: Disconnected from server!

[17:37:35] Press Alt-x to close the game

This is from the main_aa0.log file:

[17:36:16, engine/logging.cpp:301] Log started at: 06/18/11 17:36:16 Eastern Daylight Time

[17:36:16, engine/logging.cpp:304] version: 1.9.2

[17:36:16, servers.c:62] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'server_address = game.eternal-lands.com

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'server_port = 2001

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_vertex_array = 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_mipmaps = 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'text_filter_replace = smeg

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'compass_north = 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'near_plane= 0.1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'transparency_resolution_fix= 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'dim_sounds_on_rain= 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'anisotropic_filter= 2

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'render_skeleton= 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'render_mesh= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_display_actors= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_actor_bbox_check= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_render_mesh_shader= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_set_transformation_buffers= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_build_actor_bounding_box= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_model_attach_and_detach_mesh= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_render_attached_meshs= 1

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'use_ext_gpu_program_parameters= 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'skybox_update_every_frame= 0

', type 2

[17:36:16, elconfig.c:1460] Error: Can't find var 'seconds_between_shadows_updates= 10

', type 2

[17:36:16, io/elpathwrapper.c:664] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\". Using "C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands".

[17:36:18, io/elfilewrapper.c:294] Error: Can't load zip file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents/Eternal Lands/custom_clothes.zip

[17:36:18, io/elfilewrapper.c:294] Error: Can't load zip file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents/Eternal Lands/unofficial_custom_clothes.zip

[17:36:31, elconfig.c:1371] Error: Language changed, was [en] now [en]

If you have slower loading times with 1.9.2 than 1.9.1 then I have a patch you might like to try though it may not help. It simple limits the number of updates done to the loading bar during the map load. Here's the code patch. Here are 32 and 64 bit Linux binaries (I've only seen comments form Linux users though I suspect it affects others).