Eternal Lands Official Forums
Usl

Unolas' vacation

A contest for fighters... in a special un-magical sauce! :whistle:

Strange tidings are coming from the Undying Lands. Amidst one of those neverending (or should I say, Eternal?) quarrels between Aluwen and Mortos during a Council of the Gods, Unolas rose in fury, and solemnly declared that they both were petty divinities, and that to him alone, and to the Art of Magic, should homage be paid by the most excellent warriors.

Needless to say, all Underworld broke lose at his words, with various Gods claiming supremacy: Selain in spite of Aluwen called upon an army of beasts, Xiao set to prove that his blessed darts could overcome any enemy, and Jayden in league with Zarin would try to ridicule Unolas by showing how their joint forces could eclipse whatever Unolas' followers could do.

With the Council ending in utmost confusion, only an agreement was reached: that on the following day, the Mortals would be asked to judge of Unolas' claim. Is really Magic the supreme skill? Is the bravest warrior only worth as much as Unolas favours him or her?

The Contest

Contestants will have to face a number of waves of invasion creatures, starting from the very easy (rabbits) and going up to the serious ones. Every contestant is free to choose his or her own array of equipment (weapons, meds, rings, armour, capes, potions, etc.) - we will try to recover death bags, but cannot guarantee that they will be safe. It's up to each contestant to decide whether to go naked, go in full gear with a Rostogol stone for safety, or just rely on our no-guarantee DB saving service.

The fight will take place inside the Grubani Peninsula Archery Arena in Ywarstaw. In case you are not familiar with the surroundings, keep in mind that the Arena is a no-magic area - you cannot cast spells of any kind. Contestants will not have to pay an entrance ticket - that will be arranged by the organizers. The general public is welcome to come and watch the show from just outside the arena; you might need a Monster Magnetism cape or perk if your combat level is below 265 (Mountain Chimerans are found on the map). Anyone entering the arena uninvited will be duly expelled.

Your score will be based on how many waves you completely clear (before dying, that is).

Leagues

We will have multiple leagues, so that mid-level players also get a chance. Leagues will be based on the sum of Attack+Defense skills, and broadly following the instances levels, namely:

1. n00b league: 60-80 A/D
  2. advanced league: 80-100 A/D
  3. almost-pr0 league: 100-120 A/D
  4. pr0 league: 120-150 A/D
  5. WTF league: 150+ A/D

The winner in each league will get to pick one item of his choice from the prizes pool (in reverse order: the WTF league winner gets to choose first); in case of ties, we can allow multiple prizes, or organize a quick tie break depending on the circumstances (and on the final number of prizes).

There will be a final party, in team mode, for players below 60 A/D to also fight in the contest, but we cannot guarantee prizes at this stage. Update: LittleLooter offered to draw a custom cape of their choice to the winner(s?) of the under-60 match, specs to be agreed upon privately.

Prizes

All prizes kindly donated by Kragnus (with some help from SirPantalone), except as noted otherwise:

• 1 s2e of thermal
  • 1 iron sword of fire
  • 2 s2e of fire
  • 1 s2e of magic
  • 1 jagged saber
  • 1 frying pan
  • 1 recurve bow (donated by Yethq)
  • 1 long bow (donated by biffbafflemore)
  • 1 EFE (donated by Lorlen)
  • 2 oranges (donated by Lorlen)
  • 2 Rostogol stones (donated by Maxine)

If any of you feels particularly generous, we will be accepting further donations for the event! :whistle: (I will keep this post up to date if more prizes are offered).

Registration, timing, logistics

To help running thing smoothly, please post in this thread your intention to participate; your in-game name and which league you are registering for will be sufficient. We will accept registrations also in-game and to the last minute, but I would appreciate your cooperation...

The contest will start at 0:30, on daybreak. If you want to take part, but cannot travel to the Arena (and don't want to use a MM cape), PM me and you will be teleported there at the appropriate time, skipping the monsters-infested regions of Grubani. Spectators are welcome, but will have to arrange their travel schedule and equipment by themselves! :)

There will be running commentary on Channel 7 (Events). I reserve the right to disqualify or boot (or worse) people exhibiting uncooperative behaviour.

Edited by Usl

A contest for fighters... in a special un-magical sauce! :whistle:

Strange tidings are coming from the Undying Lands. Amidst one of those neverending (or should I say, Eternal?) quarrels between Aluwen and Mortos during a Council of the Gods, Unolas rose in fury, and solemnly declared that they both were petty divinities, and that to him alone, and to the Art of Magic, should homage be paid by the most excellent warriors.

Needless to say, all Underworld broke lose at his words, with various Gods claiming supremacy: Selain in spite of Aluwen called upon an army of beasts, Xiao set to prove that his blessed darts could overcome any enemy, and Jayden in league with Zarin would try to ridicule Unolas by showing how their joint forces could eclipse whatever Unolas' followers could do.

With the Council ending in utmost confusion, only an agreement was reached: that on the following day, the Mortals would be asked to judge of Unolas' claim. Is really Magic the supreme skill? Is the bravest warrior only worth as much as Unolas favours him or her?

The Contest

Contestants will have to face a number of waves of invasion creatures, starting from the very easy (rabbits) and going up to the serious ones. Every contestant is free to choose his or her own array of equipment (weapons, meds, rings, armour, capes, potions, etc.) - we will try to recover death bags, but cannot guarantee that they will be safe. It's up to each contestant to decide whether to go naked, go in full gear with a Rostogol stone for safety, or just rely on our no-guarantee DB saving service.

The fight will take place inside the Grubani Peninsula Archery Arena in Ywarstaw. In case you are not familiar with the surroundings, keep in mind that the Arena is a no-magic area - you cannot cast spells of any kind. Contestants will not have to pay an entrance ticket - that will be arranged by the organizers. The general public is welcome to come and watch the show from just outside the arena; you might need a Monster Magnetism cape or perk if your combat level is below 265 (Mountain Chimerans are found on the map). Anyone entering the arena uninvited will be duly expelled.

Your score will be based on how many waves you completely clear (before dying, that is).

Leagues

We will have multiple leagues, so that mid-level players also get a chance. Leagues will be based on the sum of Attack+Defense skills, and broadly following the instances levels, namely:

1. n00b league: 60-80 A/D
  2. advanced league: 80-100 A/D
  3. almost-pr0 league: 100-120 A/D
  4. pr0 league: 120-150 A/D
  5. WTF league: 150+ A/D

The winner in each league will get to pick one item of his choice from the prizes pool (in reverse order: the WTF league winner gets to choose first); in case of ties, we can allow multiple prizes, or organize a quick tie break depending on the circumstances (and on the final number of prizes).

There will be a final party, in team mode, for players below 60 A/D to also fight in the contest, but we cannot guarantee prizes at this stage. Update: LittleLooter offered to draw a custom cape of their choice to the winner(s?) of the under-60 match, specs to be agreed upon privately.

Prizes

All prizes kindly donated by Kragnus (with some help from SirPantalone), except as noted otherwise:

• 1 s2e of thermal
  • 1 iron sword of fire
  • 2 s2e of fire
  • 1 s2e of magic
  • 1 jagged saber
  • 1 frying pan
  • 1 recurve bow (donated by Yethq)
  • 1 long bow (donated by biffbafflemore)
  • 1 EFE (donated by Lorlen)
  • 2 oranges (donated by Lorlen)
  • 2 Rostogol stones (donated by Maxine)

If any of you feels particularly generous, we will be accepting further donations for the event! :whistle: (I will keep this post up to date if more prizes are offered).

Registration, timing, logistics

To help running thing smoothly, please post in this thread your intention to participate; your in-game name and which league you are registering for will be sufficient. We will accept registrations also in-game and to the last minute, but I would appreciate your cooperation...

The contest will start at 0:30, on daybreak. If you want to take part, but cannot travel to the Arena (and don't want to use a MM cape), PM me and you will be teleported there at the appropriate time, skipping the monsters-infested regions of Grubani. Spectators are welcome, but will have to arrange their travel schedule and equipment by themselves! :)

There will be running commentary on Channel 7 (Events). I reserve the right to disqualify or boot (or worse) people exhibiting uncooperative behaviour.

RoUsTeR

Noob League

Guest SCURLOCK

Sign me up for 120-150 :<

In-game ScurlocK

Edited by SCURLOCK

The Winners!

So, here are our final scores:

1. n00b league: RoUsTeR with 6 points.
  2. advanced league: shihan and MirageKnight with 9 points each and tied - I hope you can agree on prizes, guys :)
  3. almost-pr0 league: Finja with 11 points; iZu with 9 points.
  4. pr0 league: BOO with 18 points; Scurlock with 15 points; MARVEL with 11 points.
  5. WTF league: CherUT with 18 points; AMAR with 18 points; dre with 18 points.

Claiming prizes

Winners can claim 1 (ONE) item of their choice from the prize list below, in the following order:

1. CherUT
  2. BOO
  3. Finja
  4. shihan and MirageKnight
  5. RoUsTeR
  6. AMAR
  7. Scurlock
  8. iZu
  9. dre
  10. MARVEL

Please be patient; if some player is no longer online, we might have to finish awarding the prizes tomorrow. I will cross both names and prizes as I collect the choices and deliver the prizes.

• s2e of thermal (CherUT)
  • iron sword of fire (dre)
  • s2e of fire (RoUsTeR)
  • s2e of fire (AMAR)
  • s2e of magic (MirageKnight)
  • jagged saber (shihan)
  • frying pan
  • recurve bow (Scurlock)
  • long bow
  • EFE
  • orange (MARVEL)
  • orange (iZu)
  • Rostogol stone (BOO)
  • Rostogol stone (Finja)
  • Titanium chain mail

Congratulations to all participants, you all put up a nice show! :icon13:

Also, feel free to post comments, remarks, screenshots, suggestions in this thread. We might organize similar events in the future, and any advice is welcome!

Edited by Usl
All prizes (finally!) delivered.

I really thought it was a great contest idea, hope to see more. You already heard, but I think you should do teams of 2-4 players sometime :)