Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Big Belly perk and food bar

Once you get the Big Belly perk (which can never be removed) it would be really helpful if the client could re-size the food bar to max at 100 (rather than 45). It's not really very helpful to have the food bar go from 0-45, and then have no other graphical indicator but orange for 46-100 (yes, the number is there, but that's not a simple visual indicator). All the other bars scale to the current max, could we please have the food bar do it also?

The food bar used to extend, but only up to 55. On my computer, that caused the yellow bar to overlap the health bar. It's better if the bars don't overlap. My EL resolution is set to somewhere around 1152x864. I don't know if a wider resolution moves the bars farther apart.

I would only support this idea if the bars won't overlap each other.

Bar could work like all others - when maximum changed then bar size remains same but only when full is filled in fully.

It's better if the bars don't overlap.

As Saxum pointed out, no one suggested the bars overlap. Just that the food bar scales to the max level like all the other bars do.

Unfortunately, the server does not currently send the food capacity and so fixing this client-side will be a hack. We could get the information from the achievement data or we could automatically rescale if the client sees a food level over 55. Both relatively simple things. However, how about adding an Options setting for the maximum food level? Default value of 45, but settable to anything reasonable. We keep the colour coding to handle if the maximum value is exceeded. Most folks will never changes the option, or set it only once, but it is future proof for any further changes. Here's a simple patch.

Edited by bluap

The "food over 55, change it" option actually sounds good. There's no removal, nor need to remove it, and I can't see anything other than Big Belly changing the food level.

But that's an obvious sign of the perk, since nothing else sends food level that high.

(In case there's a glitch at some point, the food level could possibly just be saved in the ini file so it can be reset if necessary.)

The "food over 55, change it" option actually sounds good....

Only trouble being that it would be wrong every time you start the client with a low food level and so would need to save the setting somewhere. If you're saving the setting, might as well make it configurable from the Options window. Other problem is Teh God may one day introduce another perk. A negative one that has say 20 max food level. Or a medium belly perk that gives 75 max. :P

The server could always send the max value instead. Say, a new protocol message:

MAX_FOOD_LEVEL<BYTE>

Edited by bluap

I'd settle for a configuration setting now (short-term) with a possible server fix later (where it could send current and max values as it does for other things). The setting could be dropped when the server provides a max value.

There's a potentially useful side-effect of a config setting in that people who regularly use shrooms to go to 55 could make that the max instead of 45. It may be more logical for them.

Perhaps too late now...? :unsure:

But at EL-client initialization, could you issue the command to get the list of perks for the character, and if BBP is in the list, reset the max food level?

That was one of my options above. I would have had to modify the achievements code a bit too. Like you said, we now have a flexible, if manual solution. Just a few clicks and can then be left alone.

OK, makes sense (I missed the achievement comment above). Thanks for adding this in. It's one of those small things that makes the client more polished.

Edited by bkc56