Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Another client patch

You know the drill:

1. Please install it ONLY IF YOU HAVE ADVANCED COMPUTER SKILLS. That means, you know how to rename files, how to make backups, extract files from archives, copy the files in their respective directories, build rockets, etc.

2. Make a backup of your EL folder.

3. http://www.eternal-lands.com/another_patch.rar

4. Close the game.

5. Extract the files so that they overwrite the current files. By default they might not, so you will have to manually copy them from wherever they are extracted.

6. Start the game again and enjoy.

If things don't work, you probably failed step 1.

If you are 100% sure you did everything right and it still doesn't work, post here.

Some things about this patch to test:

1. Test the Anti Aliasing feature in the Video tab of the settings menu. Make sure you restart the client after that, for the settings to take effect. Notice that the higher the antiliasing selected, the slower the game is. Also, if you use x16 the chat text will be slightly blured.

2. Now you should no longer get resyncs when ranging. If you haxed your xml files, please use the original ones for this test. This is the most important thing to test for now, so use this client in situations where you'd normally get resyncs (ranging arena, invasions, instances, etc.)

Followed the directions exactly, turned on 4xAA (also tried 8x) and restarted. "Eternal Lands Client has stopped working."

I have managed to get in a few times now (and it works fine when I do), but usually I end up with that popup just as the char is logging in.

I have the latest drivers, and have tried multiple chars (to make sure it isn't a location issue) and get the same result. It doesn't happen when AA is off.

(Talking to Xaphier right now)

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 4.1.10600 Compatibility Profile Context

Driver Version: 8.831.2.0

And nothing in the log relevant to AA, the last entry is:

load_quickspells() read failed for [spells_ben.dat]

But that shouldn't have changed as it wasn't moved at all, that error only comes up when the client crashes though (and has never happened before this patch).

Edited by benfish

(Talking to Xaphier right now)

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 4.1.10600 Compatibility Profile Context

Driver Version: 8.831.2.0

And nothing in the log relevant to AA, the last entry is:

load_quickspells() read failed for [spells_ben.dat]

But that shouldn't have changed as it wasn't moved at all, that error only comes up when the client crashes though (and has never happened before this patch).

recently a player had crash issues do to a corrupted spells.dat file, perhaps you could try del it?

Well I just went through the penguin invasion and thanks to the patch not a single resync or black screen and there were a lot of rangers :). Great job.

I tried the mac client. no resyncs for me with anti-aliasing x0 but when i tried x2 and x4 the client was crashing. I'm not very computer literate but let me know if you need more info and I'll try to get it.

Mac OS X

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 OpenGL Engine

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.26

Was it crashing while trying to switch between anti-aliasing modes or later during normal play?

When i tried to switch it would instantly crash

I presume this is related to FSAA: I noticed that if you open a window, such as the options window, while at the login screen, the tabs and other drawn lines are smooth. Once you login, the drawn lines are sharp, like they have always been. This is on Linux with latest git.

Edited by bluap

Ok, got it - tried it - got lots of off/on image when walking but not when harv or mix(u know what i mean) - walked like a robot most of the times in the game- no resyncs at all - fps down to 1 back to 20 maybe 30 after 5min or so and - was told clearly i need a new pc cos of my graphic card ?!?

LOL ? ok i know we all want new pc's but not all can buy it/get it just like that. But in all the new patch looks ok.

Edit: Please mind i am not a genie in pc or games. So what i wrote is my own opinion on what i saw happening with the new patch on my pc. I still have it on and will try to see how it goes.

Edited by Immortelle

Thanks for that Odie, shifting between anti-liaising works fine this time.

I can also confirm that I experienced a small drop in fps and at times my char walked like a robot. Also some green'ish flickering when I'm switching between windows or even turn volume up/down

When i tried to switch it would instantly crash

I've put an updated MAC-Testclient online, as the problem got fixed (the client now needs a restart to activate antialiasing modechanges).