Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Horray for Penguins!

Here's a good one:

Bill Gates dies and goes to hell.Satan greets him, "Welcome Mr. Gates, we've been waiting for you. This will be your home for all eternity. You've been selfish, greedy and a big liar all your life. Now, since you've got me in a good mood, I'll be generous and give you a choice of three places in which you'll be locked up forever." Satan takes Bill to a huge lake of fire in which millions of poor souls are tormented and tortured. He then takes him to a massive coliseum where thousands of people are chased about and devoured by starving lions. Finally, he takes Bill to a tiny room in which there is a beautiful young blonde with an alluring look on her face, sitting at a table on which there is a bottle of the finest wine. To Bill's delight, he sees a PC in the corner. Without hesitation, Bill says "I'll take this option." "Fine," says Satan, allowing Bill to enter the room. Satan locks the room after Bill. As he turns around, he bumps into Lucifer. "That was Bill Gates!" cried Lucifer. "Why did you give him the best place of all?" "That's what everyone thinks," snickered Satan. "The bottle has a hole in it and the girl hasn't." "What about the PC?" "It's got Windows 95!" laughed Satan. "And it's missing three keys." "Which three?" "Control, Alt and Delete."

Hehehe, Oh I would be SoL without Control, Alt and Delete :/

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon." In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating (by Mr. Welch himself): If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five per cent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn how

to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

Edited by Lexi

A man walks up to a stand which says "Windows 7 on sale now!"

He looks at it and thinks "Pssh, I already have windows 95! 7 must be like... 13 times worse!"

1. How many Microsoft-Programmers do you need to change a bulb: 1) NONE, its a hardware Problem

2) 100 ... One changes the bulb, the others are busy, clicking the error-msg's away

3)NONE, darkness is declared as new standard

4) Four, one changes the lamp, one changes the bulb fitting, that one cant input Netscape-Bulbs, another one sets up a short that will

bw triggering when one inserts a Sun-Bulb and the lat one trys to explain to the Department of Justice that its just fair competition.

And how long does this take? Depends on how many broken bulbs they brang ^^

2. Caller: Hello there, i have a Problem.

Hotline: Yes?

Caller: I use Windows ....

Hotline: You said this already ...

A Mircrosoft programmer suggests a Linux counterparts a game: "We ask each other questions and who do not know the answer, pays 5 €." "No," says Linux programmer, "you have more money than I, you pay 500 €." The Microsoftler agrees and begins: "How great is the distance between the Earth and the Moon? The Linux programmer thinks for a moment, gives him 5 € and asks: "What day was on the Cheops pyramid topping" The Microsoft programmers look for in Encarta, searching the internet and found nothing. He hands over his colleagues, the Five Hundred and asks: "When was it topping?" Then gives him the Linux man 5 €....

Where is the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?

Batman won the battle againt the penguin.

P.S.: Sry for grammar :o

EDIT: http://www.billgatesisdead.com/

http://www.masaustu-resimleri.com/d/6280-1/Linux+vs+Windows.jpg

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/linux_vs_microsoft.jpg

http://sumana.com.np/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/linux-vs-windows.jpg

Edited by Gordalf

Thank you LNX guild for the wonderful prize I won during the 'find the members of the guild' event. It is appreciated.

makuyi

You are in an inside area. - Palon Vertas [281,45]

You are in an inside area. - Palon Vertas [281,37]

diss ring bldg,

pl ring bldg

tit mining

pot of summoning

pot of manu

crafting pot

another diss ring bldg

moon med bldg

another pl ring bldg

another crafting pot

another pot of summoning.

ty for the books!

Also found books at nrm bookseller.

and

You are in Glacmor - Glacmor Skill Academy [322,320]

You are in Glacmor - Glacmor Skill Academy [265,309]

Edited by Elveron

You are in White Stone - Grahm's Village [125,129]

Books:

Book of Potion of Physique

Book of Titanium Mining (x2)

Book of Titanium Molding

Book of Steel Axe Construction

Moon Medallion Building

You are in White Stone - You're in White Stone City [108,694]

Book of Titanium Mining

Titanium Short Construction (x2)

Book of Iron Axe Construction

Titanium Long Construction

Thank you! I <3 Hyper Bag Scavenger Hunts!

Edited by Yggdrasill

Soul's joke had gotten the most votes from the guild and wins the joke contest! Contact me in game for your prize soul.

The riddle is still unsolved and there are still hypers of books out there!

Portland Library:

You are in Portland insides [34,138]

Book of Titanium Molding

Book of Titanium Mining

Crystal Processing

Book of Titanium Smelting

Sword Construction

Book of Iron Molding

Thanks again! :)

Edit:

Also!!!

White Stone Library

You are in White Stone [202,71]

Disengagement Ring Building

Moon Medallion Building

Book of Iron Axe Construction

Book of Potion of Feasting

Book of Potion of Summoning

Edited by Yggdrasill

Hi All!

Hope you've been having fun with the puzzle! Some people seem almost there..

I think the time has come for some pointers:

1) The NPC Tick is not involved in the riddle in any way. This was, I think, an unplanned red herring :P

2) You need to keep your eyes and ears open for this. Penguins also like commenting on their music.

3) The clothed hint and "coords" are for when you have found the 6 words. It will help you put them together to find the final answer

4) 2 people have been fRamed. one more obviously than the other. the oriGinal Banner is here: http://el-wiki.net/File:Morcraven_Marsh.png. It will help to make comparisons.

#EDIT (no new posts)

5) If you zoom in to the image you might see some directions. Try taking the first letter of the things they lead you to.

6) There are 6, 6 letter words hidden in the image. Putting these together gives the final answer. The automatic penguin involved in the puzzle will give you 2 of these, but only has 1 command related to this event. (some people have been trying lots of words)

Prize Pot: Com, Tit serp + 15kgc. The gc will go up by 5k tomorrow.

Good Luck!

Edited by Minion07

Some more hints:

7) For hint 6) You will not need to guess the bot or the command to give it, the information is hidden in the image (try using a plaintext editor - e.g. vi or notepad - and searching for a LNX bot name)

8) Keep your eyes and ears open. Unfortunately these penguins have not been quite so open standards as we would like! (try renaming the file and see if you can listen to it).

9) The 6 6-letter words you are looking for are the names of 4 NPCs and 2 Creatures. Once you have these you will be able to work out the final answer.

EDIT:

1 more clue for today, as far as I know, all the other words have been worked out by at least 1 person. This is the only one I don't have proof of :)

10) The directions hidden in the middle of the image lead to 3 Harvestables and 3 NPCs (some are indoors!). The 6 letter word from this clue is the name of a creature. Use hint 5) to help.

People are getting close now. If you think you have found some of the 6 words you can PM me for confirmation, but I will not accept guess spam.

Prize pot now at: CoM, Tit Serp, 20kgc.

Edited by Minion07

Final Hints!

11) Once you have the 6 words, "clothed" will help you put them in the right order (it does not however mean anything more than that - remember hint 5), 152 152 will give you the final answer :)

12) If you are having trouble finding a certain relation, the first half of the clue gives you his name, the second his location (i.e. what map he is on).

The riddle has been solved! Big congratulations to Elveron for spending the last few days soldiering away at it!

The answer and how to get there is written up below, in case anyone wants to work it out on their own :)

The final answer: Victor! (gettit?)

This puzzle was a little bit of geeky fun, seeing how adept people were at finding hidden information.

Here's how you get there:

There are 6 6-letter words hidden in the image:

1) Braille in the frame. This spells out VESINE

2) The frame has had its colour changed. The new RGB values are 28 24 22 or 282,242 the coords of TANKEL in MM.

3) There are coordinates hidden in the middle of the image. These lead to harvestables, the first letter of which spells out SCARBA

Then things got a little sneaky...

4) concatenated to the image file was an mp3. (You can listen to it by opening the file in a media player or renaming it to .mp3)

The blips sound at first like morse code, but are actually a binary ascii encoding of EASTON.

Hidden in an ID3 comment tag (visible if you open the file in a plaintext editor was the string /Trustbot riddleme

On sending this to the bot you received the following:

[PM from Trustbot: Congratulations, you are almost there! The next bit is here:]

[PM from Trustbot: http://reptileroom.net/elstuff/trustbot/1stletterlinuxthings.jpg]

[PM from Trustbot: Also, the relation of a headless hero will help you. He stands between war and magic.]

5) The image has lots of LNXy logos,

Debian

Red Hat

Arch Linux

Gnome

OpenGEU

Network Security Toolkit

The first letters of which spell out DRAGON

6) The riddle solution is EROKIN (headless hero = ero, relation = kin, he is standing in votd)

So.. at this point you have:

VESINE

EROKIN

SCARBA

TANKEL

EASTON

DRAGON

the clothed hint was to get them in that order (the first letters spell out VESTED (a word meaning clothed)

Finally, if you take the letters at positions 1,5,2,1,5,2 in each word you get: VICTOR

#EDIT: Also, Aaron's door being at 152,152 was an intentional red herring for added fun!

Thanks for playing my little puzzle.. hope you all enjoyed it!

Honorable mentions to Krones and Gnewbie who got 5/6 of the words and Aledezar and Lord_Kikinak who made a lot of progress on the first day. Trustbot also tells me Riphath got pretty far too.

These people can collect an ELE off me to make up for the portion of their lives they lost to this riddle :)

Happy Past Penguin Day!

Edited by Minion07

I'm not sure any prize is worth going up against the mind of Minion07. Thanks to Minion07 for the twisted path, to LNX for all the other prizes and events, and to Gohan, PT, Riphath and MWAR for help along the way.

I'll second that!

Thanks for providing an excellent and very fun challenge... even if it was terribly frustrating and cost me much time that I would have otherwise spent doing more productive things in EL, sleeping, cleaning, and actually working at the office! :whistle:

And, uh, sorry for keeping Trustbot so busy... (I think I found a minor bug there, too).