Eternal Lands Official Forums
ZootNerper

Privacy option on Achievements

Hi,

Could we possibly make achievements optionally private like player stats. Using like: #set_privacy on/off

That's all :)

-- Zoot

Why?

Are you afraid of that ebul pkers know that you harvested 100.000 plants or finished the newbie tutorial?

Piper

dont worry about achievements i dont think theres much need in a privacy for it most of them just show how much u play the game, i understand your point though i dont have many myself at the minute but i know give it a couple of months il have a considerable ammount more

Why? For the same reason some pl have their atts/nexus set to private.

I you want them shown or you don't, the choice should be yours.

Some ppl display their sporting trophies or academic certificates on the wall at home and others don't. It's optional.

-- Zoot

Unlike att/nex, you can pretty easily determine what a player is capable of killing creature-wise (most easily by seeing what they train on). An achievement can't do more than confirm it.

Achievements don't give out any actually useful information. Only reason to hide them is if you're lying to someone about how many you have and don't want them to catch you in the lie.

Sounds like a waste of coding time.

we've been given achievements just recently and u want to mess around with them already? everything is private these days is nice to see who has what every now and then

Sorry, I disagree. Most people are private, It's nice to see a little bit of what the mysterious player is about. People think Mason rank 3 is embarrassing, I think it's impressive.

As I see it, achievements are the in-game equivalent of fame, i.e. public knowledge. Like, when the rumor spreads after you have been seen eating tons of mushrooms, or maybe your Master Crafter achievement is published by the local newspaper on the day of your graduation... and in fact, achievements are sort of fact-of-life, not something you choose to get.

So, overall, I think the current system is fine... you can't hide those calluses on your pickaxe hand when someone comes close enough to you to inspect your achievements. :pickaxe:

Why? For the same reason some pl have their atts/nexus set to private.

I you want them shown or you don't, the choice should be yours.

Some ppl display their sporting trophies or academic certificates on the wall at home and others don't. It's optional.

-- Zoot

Well, yeah, but it's a difference between the privacy about stats and achievements.

Keeping your stats privacy can inflict PK'ing, but if ppl know your achievements doesnt inflict the game that much like ppl know your stats, which are used in combat/PKing.

So why do you not want to let know others that you ate a given amount of mushrooms, donated a brick ,finished the newbie quest?

No harm is done by those informations IMO, so, why do not show them in public?

I am myself somehow paranoid, when it becomes to spread private data like a puppy with diarreha all over the internet, but, even mad as i am, i dont see any problems with the achievements.

Well, just my 2 euro cents.

Piper

Let it be as it is, i like it and many players like to show their achivments. Its something to be proud of it and hidding i think will complicated the system more and more.

So.. not a good idea. Sry :icon4:

None of the achievements really tell much about your levels. With help from friends, you can complete Novac quest at well below 80 a/d.

Lucky crafter doesn't really tell much. You can mix water essences on joules day and make tons of EWE without having a good alch level. Even mushroom eater doesn't tell much. You can simply eat tons of them on no drop day in underworld.

I am myself somehow paranoid, when it becomes to spread private data like a puppy with diarreha all over the internet, but, even mad as i am, i dont see any problems with the achievements.

I'm also a person that some may describe as 'paranoid' in regards to data collection/privacy.

I run an OS that doesn't phone home at all, I use a browser that doesn't report any data back to it's creator, I browse with cookies disabled using exceptions for particular sites only ...and if any data retention proposals make it through Parliament in my country I'll be renting a server in another country and routing all Internet data through it over SSH (encrypted).

Yet I agree also that the data obtained by others via achievements being public just doesn't matter.

Don't think I've ever had an achievement of mine in a newspaper. Not even those that society counts like degrees. Degrees are achievements, but you probably only talk about them in job interviews where you have to reveal my work abilities.

My friends know some of what I've done, what they know depends on the direction of conversations and how long they have known me. I climbed Great Western at Almscliffe Crag, that's a personal achievement. But I only rarely talk to friends about this, it's not tattoo'ed on my forehead, it never made any newspaper.

I will have a personally set level in all EL skills soon, that's an achievement. I achieved a goal with regards to the Haidir daily quest. Neither will appear over my head. Some of my friends in game know these, but why would I tell everyone?

Some of the EL "achievemnts" are iffy at best. I can get achievments for luck and astro (Lucky Crafter?), carelessness (Mason?). Did I do anything to get them? I can make an EFE with an enrichment stone, I made it, it's something I did. An EFE through luck? That's like winning the lottery, I did buy a ticket, but I didn't DO anything else. If you think these are achievements that's fine by me, such matters are personal affairs.

Novac I is an achievement, the manufacturing tutorial more so, but picking 5k flowers??

Are calluses achievements or what what you created that resulted in them? How many ppl will ever know you plumbed in the kitchen sink or grow your own vegetables? Some of your friends, not all your local community. But they are achievements.

And as to additional coding, we already have #set_privacy off/on, a simple if() conditional would suffice. Not difficult to add I think.

-- Zoot

ok you killed 10000 ultra high level monster, why do you want to hide that ?

I never really understand the whole privacy thing and this is totally confusing. Why hide something of very little infomative value to the reader? I think that the whole privacy option shouldn't even exist anyways, let alone achievements to be part of it. What's next? Option to hide healthbars or names? How about the entire character from interacting with the game? :)

I never really understand the whole privacy thing and this is totally confusing. Why hide something of very little infomative value to the reader? I think that the whole privacy option shouldn't even exist anyways, let alone achievements to be part of it. What's next? Option to hide healthbars or names? How about the entire character from interacting with the game? :)

I started turning on privacy when I found out that some people would use information to determine whether they could kill me and take my DB. Since I turned it on I have found some bullies less willing to attempt it and in a couple cases players found out they made the wrong decision. For some people it does not matter for they are able to kill me at will if they wish so it makes no difference.

Having no health bars would certainly make game different. Having no names on players would make an interesting special day.

Having no health bars would certainly make game different. Having no names on players would make an interesting special day.

This should probably wait until after Lenny has his own design instead of a generic leopard design.

I started turning on privacy when I found out that some people would use information to determine whether they could kill me and take my DB. Since I turned it on I have found some bullies less willing to attempt it and in a couple cases players found out they made the wrong decision. For some people it does not matter for they are able to kill me at will if they wish so it makes no difference.

They can still easily check your stats from player ranks.

Edited by Miiks

This should probably wait until after Lenny has his own design instead of a generic leopard design.

He won't. He's designed this way to stay "hidden/camo'ed"

No, there will be no privacy for achievements. I don't like it when players want to hide absolutely everything with name/color changes, so the point where there is no way to tell who they were.

No, there will be no privacy for achievements. I don't like it when players want to hide absolutely everything with name/color changes, so the point where there is no way to tell who they were.

Indeed, if someone's been a prick i like that they can't magically start over, at least, not with their current levels/items.

Today I get message 'Failed to load achievement data' and thought it might be something due to privacy. Only thing I have done was replaced encyclopedia with newer version.