Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-MrGray-

Auctions

Lately I've been bidding on some auctions but I've seen that me and some other players are struck by "I'll not sell if I don't like the price" thing.

This is not a whining post that "omfg I didn't get the item". I totally respect that people should be able to sell their stuff at the price they want but this is why we have starting prices in my opinion. Just as an example, I've auctioned a Rapier of Death on forums (and I see no problem saying it here as it is already sold) with starting price of 170k and BIN of 500k. Starting price was 170k because that was the lowest price I could accept for it.Letting people know the lowest price I could accept saved both mine and bidders time and trouble of endless bids resulting in no item.

So I'm actually saying that if you have an idea of what you want for the item you auction(most people has that idea as not much priceless items are around anymore), set a starting price and make it a decent auction.

I, of course, would like to hear opinions about this.

MrGray.

Edited by -MrGray-

+1

I actually don't waste my time on auctions because of this, it's technically spam, kinda pointless to host/bid an action when it'll just fall through. :P

Better to seel an item for XX price with the option of: Or Best Offer.

Oh yes, and the "private bids", if people start doing that, I know it's a waste of time, because I sincerely don't know if that is the auctioneer bumping the price (it has been done...)

Edited by Lexi

Fully with you on all these points..

I do think there is an issue with auctions - in that poeple quite rightly bid only at the last minute - not sure how to 'fix' this tho.

Maybe some form of automated bid system - similar to ebay? (I know suggested before but atm the current system is not working)

I do think there is an issue with auctions - in that poeple quite rightly bid only at the last minute - not sure how to 'fix' this tho.

That might be fixed with a rule like auction will end if no new bids in two days or something and I agree with Lexi on private bidders, it can easily be abused.

If I ever auctioned anything, I would end the auction 12-24 hours after the last bid. If you put the exact ending time, of course "smart" people will wait until the last minute and then bid. They can get the item for cheaper price and more surely win the auction.

I agree on having a starting price you're willing to accept and making the auction "ends x hours after last bid" to be the most sane way to do one. I'm not entirely sure about the excluding private ingame bids part though, since the only thing that this would accomplish would be that the anonymous bidders as well as potentially price bumping auctioneers would have to find a middleman to do so.

Yet again how a player sets up his/her auctions and what kind of auction one is willing to bid in is completely up to the individual. I know i've been accused of greediness once for not ending an auction early, so my views on what "best business practices" means might not be shared by the entire playerbase.

I agree with BIN an starting bits.

If you don't put a price up for an item ofc people are gonna try and get it for less. And if you don't know the price you might consider doing a little research.

And frankly I think ingame bids are trash. I always think that its jsut hte auctioner bumping up the price.

Its easy to get a forum account, if you've been banned get a friend with an account to bid for you. There is absolutly no reason who gets an item should be a secret

There is absolutly no reason who gets an item should be a secret

Dunno, PKers buying rare greatswords or nexusRemos might not want everybody to know. Also people buying larger amounts of s2es...

Well some people may want to keep their trades private but you may never know if it is abused by seller or not.

Also the main problem is the auctions end up with no trade because seller didn't like the price.This thing just shouldn't happen like "I won't sell because I don't like the winner price". A winner is winner you have to sell to the winner but to protect sellers right to get the price they want as minimum, the sellers should just set a starting bid which would be the minimum price acceptable for the item they are selling. This will make sure that they get what they want and buyers get what they want.This also will provide some (not full of course) protection from stupid fake bidders that just enjoy the pump prices up.

Obviously the starting price should be the the minimum the seller is willing to accept. Any seller who doesn't set their starting price as such is just being a nuisance.

What about add any npc,would be looking like storage,you would see list of items it has as auction, if you would like to sell item in action, you would have to pay any fee (would depends on time,not much ,longer -> more) , players would post their offer, the npc would note that and would rise the price (if that wouldn't be bin) "auctioner" would be to stor,so you could add for example 10k iron. if person,that won action wouldn't claim the reward,of his stor would burn 10kgc or any "random" item, there you would decrease cancelling orders.

Just an idea =p

I think your idea is great! :)