Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Orick

Armor choice

Well im getting back into the mood to play in KF and I want to know what everyones thinks the best armor setup is in both PK and Instances... if you are going to give me advice then you should also know I have NMT and Mirror perks... mostly I want to know what you use... also I am a tank build so lots of things will be atting me at one time

I bought black dragon greaves/cuisses and damaged black dragon plate and broke the plate in a 5 mins fight... go me!!! ><

Also please no posts about how I should just not enter PK... thanks

also i have 272 mana naked

Edited by Orick

All you have to do is look around lol, everyone wears ice mail, and greaves and mage robe pants.

ID armor isn't the best choise against rad weapons. Imo BD set is the best compromise if you want to buy only one armor set for PK and instances.

I prefer titanium plate for instances, but I have had to wear steel plate with a titanium shield a few times for the tank to do his/her job. I simply like titanium because it does not weigh much.

With NMT, you could probably do the dragon armor. I have never had that perk and I have not considered what dragon armor would be best for an instance.

I must admit that I am only an occasional fighter, so some others probably have a much better idea of what to use for instances than me.

When it comes to PK armor, I only know this.....people have said the steel cuisses of mana drain has a dropping price because people would rather wear mage robe pants (funny...looks like a skirt to me).

I have some doubt that this post is really helpful, but I hope it at least amuses you some.

re instance armor:

We did a test about a year ago and came up with the very roughly estimated formula CombatLevel+3*Armor. Whoever has the lowest result of that formula will get attacked in PvE MC, unless magic is used to override it. So as a tank your choice of armor is limited by your fellow fighters' CL and armor setup.

I personally would choose the classic steel greaves/cuisses + titanium plate combo. Or as a more expensive, but also more protective alternative full black dragon armor. Both ofc accompanied by either the plain CoL or luxury RDHoLaM.

Cheers,

Elgoran

re instance armor:

We did a test about a year ago and came up with the very roughly estimated formula CombatLevel+3*Armor. Whoever has the lowest result of that formula will get attacked in PvE MC, unless magic is used to override it. So as a tank your choice of armor is limited by your fellow fighters' CL and armor setup.

I bet orick already knows this, but for tanking it's the best option to wear as good armor as possible (depending how expensive armor you want to risk) and just take the plate off when attacking the monster.

Anyway I was tanking all instances between 60-120 a/d with steel set and imo it was good enough. Also steel greave + bronze cuisses and plate are good for tanker and bit cheaper than dragon sets. Iirc they even give bit better armor than dragons.

But as I said for mixed instance / PK use, BD set is the best and cheapest option.

Let's not spend the thread teaching Orick what he taught us...

I agree somewhat with Miix. The ID torso will reduce your rad resistance, hence make you that bit more vulnerable to Scythes and R2s. But do keep in mind that the entire set causes only a -1 to rad protection, which is a small minus compared to the +11 to cold resistance that the entire set will provide. Excluding the cuisses (which don't contribute to rad protn) will still leave you at -1 rad and +7 cold. Also if you wear a RDHoLaM, the +1 rad protection from the helm will negate this.

I recommend that while in PK, you enter with the ID mail, ID greaves and mage skirt (or ID cuisses if you fear breaks) but keep a BD torso in your inventory. If you're specifically targeted by multiple opponents using radio weapons, switch to the BD mail. But this may make the process a little fidgety.

[Edit: you might, instead of the BD torso, carry a pair of tit greaves, +3 to rad prot. Switch greaves if you're rad-attacked. Advantage: if you're wearing mage skirts, your opponents won't notice the greave change and won't know that you suddenly have positive rad prot, they'll just keep hitting you with rad]

Since you have a huge difference between att and def, I think that even if you wear RDHoLaM+drag set+SoP, a decently-specced fighter will never become tank. I think we actually tested this in that 80-100 you had to abandon. However, problems *might* arise if your instance partners have very poor equipment, in that case I recommend you have a tit set handy. Or you might refuse such teams *shrug*

Edited by TuDaeFadda

I agree somewhat with Miix. The ID torso will reduce your rad resistance, hence make you that bit more vulnerable to Scythes and R2s. But do keep in mind that the entire set causes only a -1 to rad protection, which is a small minus compared to the +11 to cold resistance that the entire set will provide. Excluding the cuisses (which don't contribute to rad protn) will still leave you at -1 rad and +7 cold. Also if you wear a RDHoLaM, the +1 rad protection from the helm will negate this.

I recommend that while in PK, you enter with the ID mail, ID greaves and mage skirt (or ID cuisses if you fear breaks) but keep a BD torso in your inventory. If you're specifically targeted by multiple opponents using radio weapons, switch to the BD mail. But this may make the process a little fidgety.

[Edit: you might, instead of the BD torso, carry a pair of tit greaves, +3 to rad prot. Switch greaves if you're rad-attacked. Advantage: if you're wearing mage skirts, your opponents won't notice the greave change and won't know that you suddenly have positive rad prot, they'll just keep hitting you with rad]

Yea you're right, but as I understood, orick wants ONE armor set that is useful in all purposes. IMO BD set is the best choise then, there's loads of rad weps in game, but every PKer doesn't have therm serp. That's why I'd rather buy a BD set than ID. + It's cheaper and provides same armor than ID set which makes it better choise for instances.

Of course if you want to be pr0 PKer and absorb as much damage as possible in PK, I suggest getting ID and ti parts too as tudae said.

I agree with BD being the best compromise for PKing, radio rapier/scythe are used much more at kf than thermal serp(+ti shield+rdholam+mage pants naturally). Actual difference between ida mail+greaves and bda mail+greaves is 3 rad prot and 7 cold prot and I think rad prot is more significant for PKing. As for changing armors I think it's too much trouble for PKing and waste of valuable slots. You should also notice that damaged ice dragon plate has 13 armor vs bd/rd 14, damaged id greaves 5 vs. damaged rd 6.

And, as an added bonus BDA set is considerably cheaper so it's also a good choice for instances although I think RDA is slightly cheaper and equally good for instances. Specifically for instances you might also want to consider bronze cuisses but whether or not extra 0-1 armor is worth 19 EMU is up to you(definitely not greaves, maybe plate in some cases but it has some negs). Also degraded bronze armors have considerably worse stats than new.

If you just want to buy one set though I'd recommend getting BDA set.

EDIT:Miix serped my post, took too long to check damaged armor's stats etc :P

Edited by FeLkkU

awesome, thanks guys, do you know if the break rate on the BDa or IDa is higher? and some people told me to buy damaged plate not new plate, other then price what is the purpose of doing that?

All you have to do is look around lol, everyone wears ice mail, and greaves and mage robe pants.

can you list all the reasons this is what people use? (the mage robe pants)

i think they are..

1.CutU perk

2.mana

3.so they can use mirror or nmt cloaks

now me myself without any armor/clothes have 272 mana witch i should have added so 2 is done, and i have nmt and mirror perks so 3 is done witch means that all i need is the CotU perk, so is it still better to use mage robe pants or is the added armor better and just use CotU cloak and if it is what cloak should i use?

Edited by Orick

I think BD set is the best armor for PKing.If you want some cold protection,get a part of Ice armor..BD armor gives the best protection against additional damage like radio weps,because as Felkk said,radio weps are more often to see in KF than thermy's.Well,steel and tit. give more radio protection,but less armor.Ofc,you don't want to get broded,right?Well for that,you use mage robe pants instead of cuisses.Every dragon armor gives the same armor in instances iirc.

Red

Edited by RedDevil

Ofc,you don't want to get broded,right?Well for that,you use mage robe pants instead of cuisses.Every dragon armor gives the same armor in instances iirc.

He can use cotu cape too and imo in this case it would be even better than mage robe. He doesn't hit enemies anyway so it's pointless to wear BP cape. Practically only useful capes in PK are mirror, BP and NMT. Since orick has mirror and NMT perks, it would be smarter to wear cotu and cuisses to offer more armor. Just my opinion.

Edited by Miiks

can you list all the reasons this is what people use? (the mage robe pants)

i think they are..

1.CutU perk

2.mana

3.so they can use mirror or nmt cloaks

now me myself without any armor/clothes have 272 mana witch i should have added so 2 is done, and i have nmt and mirror perks so 3 is done witch means that all i need is the CotU perk, so is it still better to use mage robe pants or is the added armor better and just use CotU cloak and if it is what cloak should i use?

I agree with what Miix said, COTU cloak is a good choice with NMT perk and I think it'll be cheaper than mage pants in the long run too(and you get the added armor bonus from cuisses). If you use mage pants you could use warlock or BP but both have limited usefulness for you.

Armor atribute reduces the damage taken in fight (normal hits).

Thats why i use the best armor combination on instances:

RDHolam (+4 armor)

Bronze plate (+15/16 armor)

Bronze cuisses (+7/8 armor)

Moon/Gatherer med (+4 armor)

Dragon (any) greaves (+6 armor)

This wont allow you to be the natural tank. For avoid this a known tecnique is that the tank is the last fighter in enter to the combat, without the plate, and then (when engaged) he wears on the plate. Alternative you can enter first in the plate with no plate, and wait for all your party to join the fight before wear the plate.

Note: double click wears on an item if the equipment slot is free.

Edited by dipi

I agree with Dipi, but just wanted to note that bronze armors (the most underrated peace of EL gear ever) has negative values for cold and fire protection which can be exploited by an enemy using thermal serp sword. You can drink potions of cold and fire protection to mitigate this drawback.

Also, Bronzes got excellent mag protection values which will help you the effects of summoned bears and tigers in kf.

Full leather set for PK and iron helm (cutless or tit long are the best weapon option)

Pm me when u go KF

awesome, thanks guys, do you know if the break rate on the BDa or IDa is higher? and some people told me to buy damaged plate not new plate, other then price what is the purpose of doing that?

anyone have something about this post?^^

Full leather set for PK and iron helm (cutless or tit long are the best weapon option)

Pm me when u go KF

i do that every friday night