Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggg....

Since yesterday, i and some others suffer from lags and resyncs. It started around 14:00 GMT yesterday.

When i do a mtr game.eternal-lands.com, i get this:

mtr_eternal_lands.png

Piper

My proxy in the UK is seeing a nice solid 8.9ms ping time and it's route skips the high loss area. There are several that seem to have problems regularly, specially between Germany and France.

A little birdie whispered me today, that there were some changes in the german DNS system, replacing some DNS servers and such.

The problem should be solved on monday, but it looks like, it is solved for me, personally, already today.

So, there is still some hope that the resyncs will be gone soon!

Piper

I've been having irritating lag for about 2 months now. I've done pretty much everything one could imagine to try to fix it, with my poor knowledge of computers. Then I tried this fancy thingy and got these results:

elping3.jpg

Wut does it meen? What should I do?

Should I shoot the ISP?

Should I shoot myself?

I'm desperate here. Trices are enjoying my lag spikes a bit too much. :dry:

elping3.jpg

You appear to have 5% packet loss to your local router/modem o,O'

How is your computer connected to your DSL/Cable modem? via a cable or wireless?

You appear to have 5% packet loss to your local router/modem o,O'

How is your computer connected to your DSL/Cable modem? via a cable or wireless?

Cable. And the loss was 14% before I resetted the modem. :pinch:

do you have another cat5/6 cable you can try for between your computer and the modem?

Yup, made no difference.

Did the same mtr thingy test with my laptop and the results are about the same, except for the loss at Nr 1 (was 0%).

Edited by Cara

The fact that you are getting 0% loss with your laptop, (presumably still using the same cable) would lead me to suspect it's a problem with the network card on your other pc. It might be worth getting the latest drivers from the manufacturers website, but assuming that doesn't solve the problem, I'd be looking at replacing the network card.

It could also be the case that firewall/antivirus software could be installed that when under strain is dropping packets. You could try the same test with your firewall turned off temporarally to see if this is the case.

The fact that you are getting 0% loss with your laptop, (presumably still using the same cable) would lead me to suspect it's a problem with the network card on your other pc. It might be worth getting the latest drivers from the manufacturers website, but assuming that doesn't solve the problem, I'd be looking at replacing the network card.

Could be, but it doesn't explain why I get losses with the laptop too, right? The only difference between the two is with the first %.

It could also be the case that firewall/antivirus software could be installed that when under strain is dropping packets. You could try the same test with your firewall turned off temporarally to see if this is the case.

Tried this, with no positive effect.

Ty anyway. :)

Could be, but it doesn't explain why I get losses with the laptop too, right? The only difference between the two is with the first %.

The first hop is the hop between your pc and your router. I really wouldn't normally expect to see any drops at that point at all. Once you've gone past this point you are on someone elses network, so really what i was referring to was in the realm of 'what you can physically do to try to solve the problem right now'.

As you point out, the problem as a whole is still there, having swapped out and/or disabled as many things as possible at your end. So i'm afraid at this point your next option may have to be to talk to your ISP, since the problem (using the laptop at least) seems to be occurring upstream from your physical network.

As an aside, even though the problem isn't fixed, is the lag as bad on the laptop, as it was on the original pc?

The first hop is the hop between your pc and your router. I really wouldn't normally expect to see any drops at that point at all. Once you've gone past this point you are on someone elses network, so really what i was referring to was in the realm of 'what you can physically do to try to solve the problem right now'.

As you point out, the problem as a whole is still there, having swapped out and/or disabled as many things as possible at your end. So i'm afraid at this point your next option may have to be to talk to your ISP, since the problem (using the laptop at least) seems to be occurring upstream from your physical network.

As an aside, even though the problem isn't fixed, is the lag as bad on the laptop, as it was on the original pc?

Gotcha. :) So the next step is to threaten the ISP and possibly do something about the network card. Could Learner's proxy help with my problem?

Ping in EL is just as bad with both computers, only the laptop is more laggy because it can't run EL as smoothly.