Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nathanstenzel

Add a Rules link to the game's main website

There is a rules section in the forum that mentions that game rules, forum rules, etc, but there is no link to it from the game's main website. I think that if there was a link there, we might be able to reduce the amount of people that get in trouble for not following the rules. It might even help people consider Eternal Lands as a good game to try out.

Although the game does have a spot where you are supposed to read the rules (I suspect many people just wait the specified time and then click accept), it would be nice if they could read the rules before even downloading the game. Alot of games and programs have tons of legal notices before you can play the game and some people might be mistaking the game rules for rules plus one million legal disclaimers.

Yeah, not a bad idea really. People would know what they are allowed to do and what they aren't allowed to do in the game before they download it.

Though I don't see any particular harm in adding a link to the rules from the main site, I don't believe it will make any difference whatsoever.

Anyone who is going to take the time and actually wants to read the game rules before they play will have the initiative to look at the forums when they can't find them on the main site.

86% of the EL rules are common sense, so I assume what you're concerned about are the remaining 14% (4 rules) which either aren't or arguably aren't, being rules 5, 15, 16 and 17.

AFAICT, rules 15, 16 and 17 rarely result in banning as they offer a player basically no personal gain, thus once warned about it initially, they're unlikely to continue the behaviour.

So that leaves us with the rule that infractions of is what the bans section is mostly comprised of; Rule 5. Such a rule really needs programmatic enforcing (or at least systematic warnings).

To give an example of what i mean;

I started playing WoW not so long ago. I didn't read the rules (largely still haven't). I expect that the combination my own common sense and what the server will physically allow me to do will keep me within the game rules, whatever they may be. WoW has a 'mail' system where you can send items to other players and despite having been an EL player for years where trading amongst your own characters is illegal, I attempted to, and was successful in, sending items from one of my characters to another. I assume and expect that if I am not supposed to mail items between characters on the same account then the game itself will prevent me from doing so... and my expectation/assumption is correct.

Anyways, my point is, if the server either:

A. Gives a warning (in addition to the usual trade request message) when 2 characters from the same IP try to trade, or;

B. Has trading between characters on the same IP disabled (with a white-listing system in place) and gives a message stating why you can't trade when you try;

I think it would eliminate the validity of "i didn't know" claims much more effectively than placing more links to the rules around the place.

TL;DR: Have trading between players on the same IP disabled server-side, or at least have the server send a message in addition to the usual trade request mentioning it's illegal to trade between your own characters when a trade request is made between 2 characters on the same IP address.

Rule 21 (macros and automation) is another big one that will result in banning.

I agree that those warnings for multiplay trading would be good things to implement.

Alot of MMORPG's have their rules posted, right?

Korrode, we will just have to disagree on how much good it would do to have a link to the rules or an actual webpage with the rules.

Rule 21 (macros and automation) is another big one that will result in banning.

I agree that those warnings for multiplay trading would be good things to implement.

Alot of MMORPG's have their rules posted, right?

Korrode, we will just have to disagree on how much good it would do to have a link to the rules or an actual webpage with the rules.

People don't even read the rules before they create their first character. I doubt that having a link would help, but it's still a good idea.