Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elgoran

Synonyms for unofficial channels

Greetings,

the official channels already seem to have these, e.g. i can type "#jc market" and get the same result as by typing "#jc 3".

Giving players options like "#jc gadaffi", "#jc bethelcave", etc. for channels with a number >1000

might result in more dynamic formings of shortlived chatgroups.

- Who should be entitled to create the synonyms?

Simply everyone who feels like it. To save used bandwidth though, maybe a restriction of 1 synonym per player per hour might prove usefull.

- How should it work?

Synonyms might be set by a text command like "set_topic $channelnumber $synonym", resulting in that combination being saved in a serverside list.

Optionally the serverside list could also save the name of the character that set the active topic.

In case of that number already being in use, a warning message, requesting for an additional playerside confirmation might be given.

The list in its entirety would be sent to each client on login and each change would either be sent to the clients on occasion, or more economically

only to players using a "#refresh_topics" command.

Since there are lots of possible channelnumbers, it might also prove usefull to limit this feature to channelnumbers from 1000 to 2000.

To gain knowledge of the active synonyms, a "#list_topics" command which prints all synonyms to the console would come in handy.

Although this would hinder the usage of this feature by players who want to have some means of control over who joins their

channel (the current friendship channels), these players might not want to increase the ease of joining the channel anyway.

The synonym might again be displayed on joining the channel.

- Why should EL need this?

Well, ofc atm we hardly have enough players to be actively chatting on 1k different channels. Still it might be nice to have

some channels with given topics, thus being able to focus on the topic without having too much spam. Also something like

[XYZ@7862: Hey, i'm just about to leave the spawn if someone wants.] might be helpfull (given a prior "#set_topic 7862 uberspawn" was done).

- Doesn't this feature have potential to create drama?

Yes, something like "OMG, that dude changed the synonym of my nice channel to U_liek_mudkipz !!11!1!!!" might happen, yet right at the moment

i am in favor of the thesis that the drama output of a group of people is solely dependant on its size and not on any other external factor.

- We're still limited to 3 open channels at once...

I am afraid this issue is directly opposed to my suggestion. Even someone like me with an average of 0.8392 channels opened at once in his EL life

would easily reach the 3 channels limit when partaking in several lowly populated topicbound channels. Since an increase of the limit might severely

increase network traffic as well (since chatting afaik relies on sending bulky strings around), i must leave this problem unsolved. Eventually something

like a separation into heavier and more lightweight channels could be done or more utopistic a transfer of the chatsystem from the pure

client/server model that i guess is used atm to something using supernodes like skype does. But i can't think of any easy solution there at the moment.

Well, that's it. Btw, when searching for this, i did find several suggestions aimed at improving the chatsystem, but none directly matching mine.

Best regards,

Elgoran.

Edited by Elgoran

Sounds like an IRC setup.

In my opinion, this sounds too restrictive and too confusing and unnecessary.

For the most part, people here talk about EL and other topics creep in. Chat is too fluid to restrict unless in market, help, etc which needs to be clean to serve its purpose.

Sounds like an IRC setup.

Can we please please get IRC styled ignores (irssi styled anyway..) and 20 channel limit? :D

Though, I can see it be confusing because many players simply stay on the view all tab instead of each channel having their own tab.

WRT original topic - Would definitely make me use the channel list more often. Though, I fear even those channels are hardly populated.

Can we please please get IRC styled ignores (irssi styled anyway..) and 20 channel limit? :D

Heh I would be happy with a 5 channel limit, geesh ;)

You mean by irssi styled, the ability to ignore global messages or #gm or set up different levels or groupings of ignoring, other than just by playername?

WRT original topic - Would definitely make me use the channel list more often. Though, I fear even those channels are hardly populated.

But I think that is one of the biggest problems. People want to chat where the people are. Making more labeled channels, and making those too specialized, will cut down even more how many people are in each channel.

If you can change the name of it, hopefully people will remember the number or "#jc uber_spawn" will be useless.

If you have "CEL_private_channel" for instance and you don't want strangers on your channel, it would be inconvenient for them to find it by "#jc CEL_private_channel".

If the name of the channel changes, the server will need to post the new title name to the client, right?

Just 3 things that came to mind for people to think about.

Making it impossible to change a channel name while someone else is on it would perhaps simplify things a bit. Having a private option which would make #jc by title name impossible and announce new members of the channel would be good. To make the channel have a name and set it private, perhaps "#jc 2347 CEL_private_channel private" would work. The optional parameters would be the ones on the right.

Heh I would be happy with a 5 channel limit, geesh ;)

You mean by irssi styled, the ability to ignore global messages or #gm or set up different levels or groupings of ignoring, other than just by playername?

Like this. http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53103 Or any comments improving the suggestion. (Such as Wizzy's + Dipi's)

But I think that is one of the biggest problems. People want to chat where the people are. Making more labeled channels, and making those too specialized, will cut down even more how many people are in each channel.

Precisely why channel 4 was abandoned in favor of channel 6. Though, a big pull factor for this channel was also pk central and Radu's occasional appearance in the channel with new ideas/comments about EL/etc

Edited by Raytray