Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

@ and # and maybe / buttons on client

I think I heard once that Mac users had a problem with some @ and # symbols before. I am trying to help out someone with a croatia keyboard.

It would be useful if the client had a "@" key and a "#" key and maybe even a "/" key to help out with this. It could be turned off in the settings if desired. The could have some highlight text that says what that key is used for.

Agreed. A while ago, someone asked on freenode for help becsause # didn't work on his or her keyboard so this apparently is an issue for some layouts.

I'm not sure what you mean by key in the phrase <had a "@" key>. Do you mean a definition in the keys.ini file? Or do you mean, like the thread title suggests, a button that, when pressed, adds the relevant character into the input buffer? If the latter, one option would be a very simple window with the full character set displayed, basically just the font texture. The window could make each character a button that could be pressed. When pressed the character is added to the input buffer. Apologies if I've totally misunderstood the suggestion. Using the user menus would be difficult as the resulting text is interpreted as a command. We would have to write a new "#command" to add a character into the input buffer; doable but a bit recursive.

right, forgot about that the action will be executed....

ok but then theres the option of using prompts

test
@||@<say what in active channel>
@@8||@@8 <say @@8>
#||#<command> 

bit of a far fetched solution but..... couldn't this be solved with User menu?

Yes, user context menus could be used, but as you discovered and posted in a later post, it is executed. You would need to do the prompt to get around it. Also, I think the look and feel would not be good. I am thinking more like buttons that looks like the other buttons in the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by key in the phrase <had a "@" key>. Do you mean a definition in the keys.ini file? Or do you mean, like the thread title suggests, a button that, when pressed, adds the relevant character into the input buffer? If the latter, one option would be a very simple window with the full character set displayed, basically just the font texture. The window could make each character a button that could be pressed. When pressed the character is added to the input buffer. Apologies if I've totally misunderstood the suggestion. Using the user menus would be difficult as the resulting text is interpreted as a command. We would have to write a new "#command" to add a character into the input buffer; doable but a bit recursive.

I never touched the keys.ini file. I do mean the latter....putting it into the input buffer when you click the button. As I mentioned, you could even have mouse-over text which could help get people familiar with the uses of the symbols @ and # and /.