Eternal Lands Official Forums
karolus

Extremly low fps

Hi

Few days ago I installed ubuntu 10.10 (32bit edition) on my new laptop.

I hate windows and i was very happy that linux works on laptop, but....

I installed EL using My link,

all seems well unless i started EL...

in the same places when under windows i have 50fps under linux i have only 15-20

all setings (resolution, graphics efects, etc) are the same.

ofc i installed the newest available graphics drivers

My laptop: HP ENVY17 (i7 720m, 4G RAM, graphics ATI Radeon mobility HD5800)

Is it normal with ATI cards?

PS. sorry for my english, but i hope that you understandt what i can say ;)

The most likely cause of the lower FPS is a difference in graphics card driver. Are you using the manufacturer's proprietary driver or an open source one? Unfortunately, sometimes you need to use the manufacturer's proprietary driver to get the best results. If you run the "Hardware Drivers" application from the Ubuntu "System->Administration" menu you may be offered a choice. With the FPS you are getting, it sounds like you have hardware acceleration enabled but you can check that using "glxinfo | grep rendering" from a terminal, the output should say "direct rendering: Yes".

I use manufacturer's proprietary driver, and ofc hardvare acceleration is enabled

I read in internet that ATI's driver for linux are up to 50% slower then for windows, but im not sure if its true.

Hi,

maybe you took the proprietary ATI driver from the repos. That one is an official, proprietray driver,

but the version could best be described as antique. Some friends of mine have ATI cards and they're using the

installer for the driver, which they dowlnloaded directly from ATIs website. If you donn't use that onealready,

it might eventually solve your problem, though you might have to reinstall it with every update of the kernel

you put on that laptop. XD

you right i have drivers from official repo, i had problems with instaled drivers from ATI's page :(

i found instruction step by step, but didnt work for me, im n00b in linux :)

but i try once more, step by step

EDIT:

I deinstaled "ubuntu's" drivers and reinstaled ATI's, now i have newest driver from ATI page, but fps are still lower then under windows (maybe now is little more fps but only little)

PS. I noticed that when i turn on "use izometric view" i have more fps (even up to 200) in the same places when normaly i have ~30fps, is it normal?.

EDIT:

i dont know what happend.... after few restarts all works perfectly, i have almost the same fps as under windows - strange :)

Edited by karolus

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.