Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

Basic Details about Races

Hey guys. I thought it might be a good idea if we thrash out the basic details about the different races first, to standardise it and give everyone a base to work from. Of course, this is VERY open to debate.

Things we need to discuss are:

- Lifespan

- Naming Customs

- Race Specific Traits or Customs

So, I'll start with lifespan. What do you guys think of this:

Average Max Lifespan

Orchans = 90 years

Humans = 90 years

Gnomes = 150 years

Dwarves = 300 years

Elves = 450 years

Dreagoni = 700 years

Edited by Lyanna

Orchan's should be the same as humans..other than that everything looks about what I thought they should be as well :D

I never liked that immortal elf idea...but then again i am partial to the Dragonlance world so... :D

Okay, Orchans changes from 80 to 90.

Matirxx...that's why I deliberately said "AVERAGE" max. lifespan...there may be a few exceptions :wink:

Naming Customs

Okay, this is a big more difficult. The only clear naming custom I can see are the Dwarves: names like Gondric Mithrilfist, Malin Bronzebeard, Nalin Redhammer, etc.

But what about the rest? Should the Elves and Humans have second names as well? Do we even WANT to standardise the names, or just leave it up to player's imagination? What about having different cultures within the race itself, to account for the variability of the names (eg. Wood Elves would have one type of name, River Elves another, etc.)

And then, of course, there are the Orchans, Dreagoni and Gnomes.

-Lyn-

Naming a character is upto anyone how they want .. but naming your character in some middleearth style helps alot then it comes to Roleplaying your characters.

Here is some good resources on the Internet for naming your character:

The everchanging book of names .. a very good shareware to generate about any kind of names. A very versatile tool indeed. Need to buy if want all features unlocked.

A great resource and community site for you dwarfplayers out there. You'll find alot of inspiration about name generation and Roleplay there.

My personal favorite. Use you own real name or any name (or just randomly scribble some letters after eachother) to seed a randomizer that comes up with names for several races from middleearth. I used it to generate my "Nalin Redhammer" ... And the fact that I used my own name to seed it, gives an acute sense that this is my character.

Very easy to use .. just take advice, it's letter case sensitive.

Okay, this is a big more difficult. The only clear naming custom I can see are the Dwarves: names like Gondric Mithrilfist, Malin Bronzebeard, Nalin Redhammer, etc.

Cool being mentioned :)

Howether .. I rhink it's Malin Bronzebringer .. unless he changed that

Cool, yea I got my name and nick from www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp too, wasn't my own name I typed, but someone elses. Still this is me. That site rocks! They got everything from hobbit, elven, orc, anduin and dwarven names, both male and female versionson elven names.

I agree on that it adds more to the rp feel of the game..

That's sorta why we're playing it. We need more rp elements, that'll make things take off. I'll help you out :D

I also used to have an URL to a site with resources for generating full elven names. But I don't seem to be able to find it now. Howether, elven names in full is just to long anyways.(Not to forget mentioning tricky to spell to)[/color]

Yea a lot of elven names are long and tricky, but I found one that's ok, many people just call me nuav, and that's okay with me.

If I were to call myself 'waenardaion' which is my elven name according to that site, it'd be more tricky, hehe. The one I got now rocks, and I'm glad I got it.

This name is more sorta epic and all, and suits me as elven :D

Found site there a full elven name can be composed .. here is the adress:

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html

It even translates the meaning of the names

And to demonstrate it .. I've disected Nuavaríon's name, hope you don't mind :).

It means something about Hopeful Father Lord, in that order (Nu-avar-íon)

And to further demonstrate with what I meant that full elven names can be long .. I further fooled around with Nuavarion's name by adding a house name.

....... Nuavarion el'Melithmitore

Try to type that 10 times quickly in a row without typos.

el' you don't find on that page though, I think .. it means 'of' in elven.

I leave the translation of the housename for you to try out.

And here is another good resource site for you Elfplayers, The Cormathyr: http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-C...home%20page.htm

But remember that what definitions you find in the resourcesites, might not be the same as the definitions in EL.

So I guess I've contributed enough help on naming characters .. knock yerself out.

Actually, the question I was asking was: SHOULD we use this style of names when creating (okay, in this case - Elven) characters for our stories, or a different style, or leave it up to the writer's imagination?

I'm trying to standardise naming styles and techniques across the entire Storylines Forum, so that there won't be as much confusion for new writers as to how to name their characters according to race. Therefore, I'm asking for suggestions on the standard naming techniques.

However, I DO agree that this puts a rather severe limit on originality, so I was hoping for people to come out and say why "it's not good, it's bad", "We shouldn't put limits", "There shouldn't be one fixed style of naming", etc. Please comment on this.

But irregardless, thanks for the links. We may end up using them after all.

-Lyn-