Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lexi

For Gardening and Farming Tips

I launched a helpful site for farmers and gardeners. It will also have some tips on cooking and storage later, but because the gardening season is about to start, most information is being directed in that field at the moment.

http://www.hattiefarms.com/

It's also a blog site for my little farm, Hattie Farms (is why it's named that) my little project.

This is not a business, but a source for information.

Edited by Lexi

Thank you!

Here's another site we're working on:

http://www.hattiecorp.com/

This, when completed, will provide free seeds to the low income to give them an opportunity to grow their own food. It gives a LOT of information, so worth reading the RSS feeds displayed on the site.

That's wonderful Lexi! Growing your own food is totally the way to go, and your websites look really nice, I will enjoy reading through them :)

Thank you, Roja! :)

Today I am supposed to let readers know that the Free Seeds Application is nearing it's date. We're ordering the seeds soon, so keep on checking for updates.

Really enjoyed looking at the sites. Lots of useful information.

I also have a small farm with orchards, soft fruit, vegetable garden and around 50 sheep (we've just finished lambing so i've nearly double my usual flock lol). The farmhouse itself is very old (over 400 years in some parts) and is located high up in a remote part of the welsh mountains. It's got about 25 acres of enclosed land made up of mainly rough pasture, ancient oak woods and a river. However, it has 'hill-rights' permitting the grazing of stock on the local mountains (which is what most of the neighboring farmers are mainly engaged in).

I'd love to spend more time there, but i'm really just a weekend farmer. During the week, one of our neighbors kindly takes care of the sheep, but I still do the vegetable and fruit gardens. Because the farm is up so high, the growing season is fairly short (about 6 months at tops). We therefore have to be fairly selective in what we grow. Even so, we are pretty much self sufficient in vegetables for most of the year. Plus, being in such a wild and remote area, there's also an abundance of wild food in the form of blackberries, raspberries, blackthorn slows, dog rose hips, winberries, mushrooms and all kinds of wild fungus.

Your tips on storage and cooking were very interesting, as its a general issue for anyone who grows their own vegetables and fruit. Recipes for pickles and preserves are always very welcome. Would love to see you post piccies of your farm, stock and crops if you have the time.

Have you checked out Homestead-Hearth.com? Many recipes and canning tips there (even wood stove cooking!), and it's a site my Dad put together, it has a forum where people have contributed, great info there AND you can even post your own knowledge there :)

PS: it also has pictures of our farm :> Good idea though, I should snip them and put them on Hattie Farms.

Goats like hilly land and can provide milk, have you thought about adding them to your farm?

Have you checked out Homestead-Hearth.com? Many recipes and canning tips there (even wood stove cooking!), and it's a site my Dad put together, it has a forum where people have contributed, great info there AND you can even post your own knowledge there :)

PS: it also has pictures of our farm :> Good idea though, I should snip them and put them on Hattie Farms.

Goats like hilly land and can provide milk, have you thought about adding them to your farm?

We used to have a goat (a toggenberg). She wasn't the finest milker (she'd usually end up sticking her hoof in the milking bucket lol). Luckily she was a very relaxed goat, as togs have quite big horns. I quite like goats milk, but the milking is kind of an art, and sadly quite lacking in an area which is mainly into hill farmed sheep. Because Wales is very very wet, combined with the cold of being high up on a mountain, its not ideal for goats. Also, where the land is grazed by sheep, the foot diseases seem to transfer very easily to goats. Unusually, alpacca's seem to do very well and a neighbor of mine has a few.

Here's a piccy of their flock, plus the general area.

_42576929_11.jpg4307190320_0cbb62f6b1.jpg

Ah yes, goats can't do well in that weather :( Hell I have had a lot die this year with ours, and it wasn't even THAT bad. I guess we got them from weak breeders, I don't know, only so much you can do for them, they kinda gotta help themselves too :D

Nice flock, they look a little weird compared to the sheep I have seen though. Like their necks are longer than I have seen. I like the multiple colors.

Oh yes, nice landscaping! Very pretty.

Edited by Lexi

Hattie C.O.R.P. has their FREE GARDEN SEED KITS in and has been shipping them out! They still have more kits to give away, the kits include:

1. Purple Top White Globe Turnip

2. Hales Best Cantaloupe

3. Pak Choi Cabbage

4. Beefsteak Tomato

5. Roma/Paste Tomato

6. Radish White Icicle

7. Vates Blue Curled Kale

8. Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach

9. Early White Vienna Kohlrabi

10. Large American Leek

11. Spring Lettuce Mix

12. Ace 55 Tomato

13. California Wonder Bell Pepper

14. Sugar Baby Watermelon

15. Self Blanche Cauliflower

16. Boston Pickler Cucumber

17.Yolo Wonder Bell Sweet Pepper

18. Giant Red Southern Mustard

19. Georgia Southern Callards

20. Big Jim Numex Pepper

21. Mesclun Mix Greens

22. Evergreen Bunching Onion

23. Clemson Spineless Okra

24. Little Fingers Carrot

25. Yellow Summer Squash

26. Bulls Blood Beets

27. Black Zucchini

28. Spaghetti Squash

29. Gourmet Lettuce Mix

30. Connecticut Field Sugar Pumpkin

31. Provider Early Bush Beans

32. Golden Bantam Sweet Corn

33. Early Frosty Sweet Peas

These kits also include a disk with many resources of information on gardening and more.

They ask that you assist with the $7.00 priority mail shipping but even that can be worked with if you need.

contact them at support@hattiecorp.com or check out their website:http://www.hattiecorp.com

The site these sites are hosted on had a crash, and while they were supposed to back up our files every week, they failed to. So we have to start them over, in the mean time, if you are interested in the free seeds, please contact via email: lextatel@yahoo.com or in-game.

Edited by Lexi