Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marcvs

Counters editor :P

I usually play EL on three different pcs :D , so I have three different counters. I love statistics, so if I wish to know how many EFES I've done on my total number of mixed FES I have to check the data in all my pcs. :omg:

I wonder if in the future we can have a way to simply edit the counter file, or (this will be awesome) maybe the counters can be stored on server (yes, this will require server space so isn't a good idea). Someone says that with an exadecimal text editor you can do something on your counter file, but sinceirly I've heared of exadecimal editors in that talk for the first time... :rolleyes:

oh, and... :whistle: I wonder if it's possible to put also bones in the food storage section for IEDP perkers :lipssealed:

Hmm, since yours is more likely a special case than the common one, i'd suggest a workaround:

Get yourself a program for data synch'ing (e.g. dropbox) and have it control your directory for the EL-settings (/home/elgoran/.elc in my case)

on all three computers. Thus, the changes done to your counters on one machine will automatically be carried to the others upon boot. (or shortly after)

Problem solved. ;)

Get yourself a program for data synch'ing (e.g. dropbox) and have it control your directory for the EL-settings (/home/elgoran/.elc in my case) on all three computers.

I play on three different computers and currently use DropBox to sync my map-mark files. I've thought about syncing everything, but I don't know when the magic, stat, and other files get written and I'd be afraid of write conflicts between computers.

The problem (in my case) is that I often leave myself logged in on one computer when I log into another one. That causes the first to disconnect. If for any reason both computers update the same file at the same time there's going to be a conflict.

The other problem is that my stats are currently spread out over three computers. I'd need a way to merge them first before I could start to sync them.

Hmmm. Since i'm not exactly sure what'd happen then could you try this with some unimportant file please?

Making 2 different versions on 2 of your computers and uploading them at the same time?

Dropbox ain't a versioning system, but i still guess it'd carry out both changes one after the other,

leaving you with the version that arrived just a millisecond later, but that's just a guess.

For the merging i see no quick solution atm though since i'm not even able to find out which encoding is used for the counters_playername.dat. XD

Hmmm. Since i'm not exactly sure what'd happen then could you try this with some unimportant file please?

OK, I created a simple text file in my DropBox folder. I then edited the file on two computers which I could access at the same time. I made a different change to each file then hit save in each at the same time. One of the edits "won" and the file was updated. The other edit "lost" and a second file was created which included the computer name and date/time info. My guess is that would happen anytime a file is modified on multiple computers without being up-to-date.

So this working would be dependent on when the various files get written by the client and if they would be synchronized before a newly opened client reads them.

A simple case of one client harvesting (counters being updated) and then getting disconnected by a new client starting would almost certainly loose something and/or create a conflict file like my test above did.

So for this method to work:

1. Users would need to know something about when files get written by the client.

2. Be careful to make sure no clients are doing things that write files for a bit before switching to a different computer so everything has time to get updated.

Linking it to your drop box, would this mean that both computers would have to share visual/etc settings as well?

Hmmm, originally it's only supposed to handle entire folders, not single files. You could do a bit of Kungfu though and replace your counters.dat

in the .elc folder with a hyperlink (how were those really called again?) to the real file inside a folder managed by db.

:)

Edit: They were called symlinks. XD

Edited by Elgoran

:(

From what i read in the wikipedia article i gathered that neither junction points(only applicable to folders) nor shortcuts(can't be used by EL or DB) are suitable for our case here. And real symlinks were introduced to windows not until vista(or windows server 2008).

For those the syntax is

mklink "C:\EinLink.pdf" "D:\EinDokument.pdf"

mklink /d "D:\Pfad1\Neues Verzeichnis" "..\Pfad2\Reales Verzeichnis"

But for earlier versions of windows you'd have to install cygwin or something. And i'm pretty sure we'd pass the critical cost/outcome mark with that.

I have to admit i'm not really knowledgeable with windows and in my earlier enthusiasm i clearly underestimated how complicated matters could become there...

Alberich pointed me to this ingame. It appears to be a frontend for creating symlinks on windows vista+.

http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

From the description: With this utility you can use the symlink application Microsoft Windows has well hidden inside the cmd.exe app.

The goal is just make it easier to create symbolic links, hard links, or directory junctions, using a pretty simple interface, so no more bogus command line to do it...

Thanks Elgoran & Alberich.

Okay, more good news. :)

When i asked about the counters, it turned out both bluap and Sir_Odie had made a program for merging those already.

I compiled bluaps version on Ubuntu and put it here.

The windows-version made by Sir_Odie is here

And if you want to compile it yourself, the source for bluaps version is here.

I currently use Junction.exe to create the Windoze equivalent of a symlink to the map folder (with all my map marks) in the DropBox folder.

Now that we have a merging tool, I'll have to consider what I want to do. I could link the whole server directory (main and PK) but that still raises the risk of two clients trying to write counters at the same time. At the very least, I can merge my counters all to my main computer so at least that one is correct.

With DropBox, Junction.exe, and a merge tool, I'll be interested in what other people decided to do.