Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sir_sirio

YARR bagjumpers

This is a game!! We are supposedly role playing and YARR have chosen to play pirates, fine that's up to them, I don't approve of their behaviour but they're not breaking any rules or being abusive at the moment (as far as I'm aware). Their actions will have benefits and judging by some of the posts will have consequences too.

I would repudiate all arguments claiming that the victim is responsible for crimes committed against them, these types of arguments make no sense in RL or EL. The fact that people aren't aware that their actions may lead to them becoming a victim of crime, does not place responsibility for crime on the victim or vindicate the criminal for their actions. Most societies have laws because the majority of people do not think it is acceptable to allow the victimisation of the weak, unintelligent or inexperienced.

Edited by Cyrano

I have never once been bagjumped in this sense. Lost a few from dying whilst training in the past sure, but never whilst mixing or sitting at a resource. There is no possible reason for it to happen. There is no reason for anyone to have a large bag full of items anywhere; they are simply inviting trouble.

Basically these people cannot break throught your front door and into your house. The only way they can get your stuff is if you leave it lying around for them. Looks to me like you're pretty much a goon if you do not take steps to prevent this happening. :)

Ever hit a teleport nexus while harvesting? Thats how you lose your bag while harvesting.

Also if you're team harvesting, when the bag keeper moves to let someone put harvested items in the bag or moves to let the mules take items to store there is a window of opportunity for a BJer to move in.

This is a game!! We are supposedly role playing and YARR have chosen to play pirates, fine that's up to them, I don't approve of their behaviour but they're not breaking any rules or being abusive at the moment (as far as I'm aware). Their actions will have benefits and judging by some of the posts will have consequences too.

I would repudiate all arguments claiming that the victim is responsible for crimes committed against them, these types of arguments make no sense in RL or EL. The fact that people aren't aware that their actions may lead to them becoming a victim of crime, does not place responsibility for crime on the victim or vindicate the criminal for their actions. Most societies have laws because the majority of people do not think it is acceptable to allow the victimisation of the weak, unintelligent or inexperienced.

And thus the world becomes full of weak, unintelligent people who will not research the possible dangers or consequences of their actions prior to taking them but merely waste the time of others once they have been the victim of whatever.

and to Elssar.. not their fault if you choose to have a bag. I know how people lose their bags whilst harvesting... which is why I have never lost mine. :)

And thus the world becomes full of weak, unintelligent people

I find this scenario highly improbable, and victims, for example children can't be blamed for not having the same level of strength, intelligence & experience as adults. I would hope most people agree with me that this does not make it acceptable to victimise them.

who will not research the possible dangers or consequences of their actions prior to taking them

Why should people have to research the possible negative consequences of another persons actions upon them?

merely waste the time of others once they have been the victim of whatever.

Equally the perpetrators of these acts are wasting other peoples time by committing them.

The people in YARR are far from being 'newbies' to the game, and they aren't noobs either.

I guess I'd have to disagree on that. It rather depends on whether you define "noob" in terms of 'experience of', or 'approach to' matters of game-play. I'd suggest it's possible that the writer of that post had in mind the latter, if only on grounds that the approach to the game of YARR seems deliberately more focused on disrupting than contributing to the game.

If the object of their activities is the accumulation of gc, then so be it. Individuals may not like being robbed, but there's no denying the sense of risk (and hence fun) that it creates for others if the challenge is worthwhile, eg Newhope. However, dispensing with all elements of stealth, surprise, and just about everything else that you'd think was an essential for any effective pirate enterprise, removes any meaningful sense of challenge to anyone except the very new, or the very careless. Consequently all you're left with is the impression that YARR are either complete and utter dumb-asses, or a particularly woeful example of failed bad-ass wannabees.

Either way, here's hoping 'the penny will finally drop' and they'll take up a new hobby more suited to their intelligence and abilities; like golf perhaps?

A noob would be someone who seems to be clueless.. Those guys seem to know the game and it's mechanics a hell of a lot better than many others, and manage to do it with a sense of humor too (come on.. using the 'jump' emote when they're on the bag is quite teh funny). I think the word you're really wanting to use is 'asshole' for taking stuff that, in your opinion is not rightfully theirs.

But see, the thing is: game rules clearly state that a bag has no owner. You can ASSUME ownership, and others generally might even respect your assumption. But once you leave the bag, it's free to take for whoever wants it, and there's no game rule against it.

Just because you don't identify with their style of gameplay doesn't make THEM noobs. You not understanding that some people enjoy the game better 'dispensing with all elements of stealth, surprise, and just about everything else that you'd think was an essential for any effective pirate enterprise', however, and that that does not make them 'scum' or 'noob', says a lot more about you, than about YARR members or anyone else.

Merry christmas ;)

There is no reason for anyone to have a large bag full of items anywhere; they are simply inviting trouble.

I guess no one bothered to tell you how to mix twice as much in half the time by using a bag. Either that, or you've clearly spent most of your EL time on ip chasing the bunnies.

It's the idea of bag mixing, it's risky but faster. Bags just aren't supposed to be safe as storages.

It really isn't that hard to avoid getting bagjumped if you are just mixing on your own. Just be aware of the guild tags of those around you; if one is unfamiliar take a second to read the #guild_info. Stop harving and mix what you have while they are hovering around you. Most of the time bjers get sick of waiting when you don't hit a tele nexus for 10 minutes and slink off to look for other prey. It's a lot more difficult when you are working a big group bag project but- be aware of guild tags, have someone keep some True Sight potions handy. Have a system planned for moving valuables out mid-project in case of emergency.

The evil pirate guild who may or may not be noobs are here, tell your friends and take proper precautions! And of course don't forget to brown tag :mace:

It really isn't that hard to avoid getting bagjumped if you are just mixing on your own. Just be aware of the guild tags of those around you; if one is unfamiliar take a second to read the #guild_info. Stop harving and mix what you have while they are hovering around you. Most of the time bjers get sick of waiting when you don't hit a tele nexus for 10 minutes and slink off to look for other prey. It's a lot more difficult when you are working a big group bag project but- be aware of guild tags, have someone keep some True Sight potions handy. Have a system planned for moving valuables out mid-project in case of emergency.

The evil pirate guild who may or may not be noobs are here, tell your friends and take proper precautions! And of course don't forget to brown tag :mace:

Pr0 advice :)

Edited by themuntdregger

who is themuntdregger btw?

Ummm... prolly not your kind of guy

Edited by themuntdregger

I find them rather amusing... I think it's gay that they are "hiding" from their true faces though, lol. BUt we all know they aren't n00bs. I knew this the first day. They are all over @@6... seriously..

But yeah, you can bag mix easily without worry of losing so much, just use your brain. I know multiple people (including myself) that succeed very well, even doing it around YARR.

The thing is, they don't hide their doings, in fact one in particular that I know of will announce it in local very often (to the point where it actually can get annoying, lol). SO... if you don't know the people near you, don't make a bag of value in front of them, seriously, how many times do you have to be told. I am not insulting anyone who does this, but at least take responsibility for it. I mean, don't you lock your doors to your houses if you don't trust the neighborhood? Same thing...

I got BJed ONE time (of extreme value), it only took one time to think of possible ways to not get jumped again. First thing is, don't drop anything you're not willing to "give" away. When I mixed I just drop enough to harvest about 1-5 of the product I am mixing at the mine. If I get jumped, it's not a huge loss (100gc MAX).

Also... I wouldn't hyper in very common areas, I read on @@6 Blackbeard has lots of keys to go searching with.

who is themuntdregger btw?

Ummm... prolly not your kind of guy

lol, and what is 'my kind of guy'?

(man that sounds queer xD)

I think everyone should probably just chill a bit about this, keep your wits about you and the chance of being BJd is very slim...

Oh, themuntdregger, no offense but you seem fairly new to the game and possibly don't understand the full picture (and also, since when were pirates stealthy!? Sailing around on a big ass ship with a Jolly Roger warning all other ships is stealthy eh? Wow, didn't know that).

Have fun, remember it's only a game

EL is a reflection of RL, where

(1) things aren't always fair

(2) we can, to a large extent control what happens to us and

(3) we can, to a large extent remedy or recover from what happens to us.

If the people at YARR have chosen to bagjump for whatever reason, it is in our control to

(1) be proactive about the possible dangers

(2) learn from past mistakes and prevent them from happening again.

That's what we do in RL, don't we?

Just as in RL, if we continue externalising the issue, i.e. blaming a third person/entity for what happens to us, we'll never break the cycle and will continue to have such events inflicted upon us.

I've never been bagjumped, perhaps because I know it is possible and do things the 'hard' way by lugging stuff to and from storage. In the event that I do start building a bag, I'm fully aware of the possibilities of being BJ'ed and therefore am responsible for the possible consequences as I chose to ignore them and continue on my chosen course of action. Who then is responsible? The bagjumper whose nature it is to bagjump or the harvester, who chose to ignore the presence of bagjumpers knowing well their nature?

I believe I am in control and therefore ultimately responsible.

This, for me, is the basis. All others such as admiting they're pirates, sneaking or not sneaking... whatever, are secondary.

Stay well.

Sid

Edited by sidkhullar

Stop the flaming please or some people are going to find themselves unable to any more.

And a merry Christmas to you as well Aislinn.

Edited by themuntdregger

Not really to dig things up again.

But I was recently looking through some of the trade logs on one of BoC bots and saw Blackbeard was buying items. As a general rule BoC doesn't ban people, but certain bj's/really nasty people we do. So killing 2 birds with 1 stone I banned YARR guild.

Well lo and behold a week later I was looking agaun at trade logs (what do we sell msot of, should we carry more of those items) And he had bought MORE tele rings!

So, either Blackbeard had left YARR guild and then been reaccepted back in (some how I doubt him trusting someone else to give him back controll of the guild) or he changed the guildtag

Lesson, for those of you who ban bj'ers and have YARR on the list you may want to add the idividual members as it would be very easy for him to change guidltags, buy items and change guildtag back.

So, either Blackbeard had left YARR guild and then been reaccepted back in (some how I doubt him trusting someone else to give him back controll of the guild)

He could use an alt or bot as rank 20 of the guild, so he doesn't have to 'trust someone else' to be kicked and re-accepted.

Not really to dig things up again.

But I was recently looking through some of the trade logs on one of BoC bots and saw Blackbeard was buying items. As a general rule BoC doesn't ban people, but certain bj's/really nasty people we do. So killing 2 birds with 1 stone I banned YARR guild.

Well lo and behold a week later I was looking agaun at trade logs (what do we sell msot of, should we carry more of those items) And he had bought MORE tele rings!

So, either Blackbeard had left YARR guild and then been reaccepted back in (some how I doubt him trusting someone else to give him back controll of the guild) or he changed the guildtag

Lesson, for those of you who ban bj'ers and have YARR on the list you may want to add the idividual members as it would be very easy for him to change guidltags, buy items and change guildtag back.

If a member of an honorable guild bj's, then I (as GM of an honorable guild) expect the other GM to compensate and apologise for that incident. I don't expect the other GM to kick the person out, and certainly don't believe that I have any right to dictate or influence sanctions against that person.

The exception to the above would be a dishonorable guild. In such circumstances, the GM or leadership carry little or no credibility, so I would take action in banning the whole guild, as well as each person individually (in case they stray). An exception might be say as in *EL* guild, where the guild is dishonorable but where the membership clearly do not support the activities of the leadership. In that case, I might ban just the leadership until such times as the guild forced them to leave.

Edited by themuntdregger

Munt for the love of fucking god. Do you have to troll every fucking thread and bring up me and my guild in every possible way?

Just curious, do you feel more adult(ish) putting f-word every two words you type?

This thread turned trollish. Going to lock it and hope to lose the key the very second I do it.