Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wynand

New Item: Disguise

I've been wanting to partake in certain less than reputable activities of late, but since I'd tarnish my good name, I couldn't. So I was thinking implement a new item: Disguise.

The idea is that if you put on a Disguise, your name doesn't show over your head anymore, that way you can bagjump/pk/mine/etc and nobody would know it was you (unless you talk I guess). It can be made by tailors, and worn as a head item I guess. Could lower light modifier or something although I don't really care about that, would just be a nice bonus. Not sure what it should cost, but IMO not more than 20kgc or so, can have an easy breakrate, since cloth is fragile and whatnot. Would probably be a good touch if it disguises your char's facial features, then you could just wear armour and nobody should be able to recognise more than your characters race and gender.

Worth implementing isn't it?

edit: actually thinking again, it should probably be a cape, and maybe have cape breakrates, otherwise it would be worthless in PK if you are a fighter.

Edited by St_Arcane

Interesting idea, but should such a person not be revealed by TS? What happens if a spell is cast on him or similar orange spam effects?

IMHO, if you're going to do naughty things like that, there is already a provision for you - go invis.

Well eagle you see the problem is, when I break invis to kill people, they see who I am. But you did raise something else I didn't think of, if you get killed by someone in disguise it should be filed under 'unknown' or w/e in your counters.

And Korrode, if you feel that makes it more fair I suppose it could work like that. My only problem with that is, other people can then diss/flee and you can't counter-attack, so they can attack and if they see your a/d is too high for them, for example, they can just diss and laugh at you. Also sucks if your fighting skill set is ranged/mage/summon. In games like WoW if you attack someone of the opposite faction (within your safe zones), you become PK'able yourself for 6mins, but in EL it might not work so well, unless you can program it that only people in disguise can then attack that guy. But could still be exploited cos you could lure people to attack you and then your buddies put on their disguises and pwn your attacker. (not that I'm not cool with that, but I know alot of people wont be... in their opinion 70/30 in their favour is fair, anything lower is a scandal).

If you see some random guy take a leak on your doorstep, it's your own fault if you get ganked when you go out to confront him.

edit: starting to wonder if it shouldn't perhaps be a potion, or some other once use item, then the effect would only be temporary , and you can't remove it to make yourself safe or w/e, or takes mana for for every step you take like that speedhax potion or mule/etc... but still an item called disguise just feels more right IMO.

Edited by St_Arcane

Point is St_A, I don't agree with someone being able to go around serping, bagjumping, whatever and not have to take whatever repercussions come with those actions.

Doesn't seem like balanced gameplay to me.

Hehe I said I agree with you, was just saying it kinda sucks if your not an a/d fighter, but I suppose it would be the same IRL, if you let someone catch up with you if you're in a disguise it's your own fault if you can't defend yourself physically.

But ofc, ppl can then just range/mag/summon on you while you are in disguise, and you can't do anything to them in return.

edit: although I'd still like it implemented, even if all the odds are stacked against you while in disguise.

Edited by St_Arcane

Indeed it will, would be stupid to put it on infront of people then.

Ok thought about it some more, it's fine, make people PK'able while in disguise, without the opportunity to retaliate, but then here's another idea: how about if you put on your disguise, you get a wordbox where you can put in a fake name. That way you can walk around with a name around people, and not arouse too much suspicion if you are not doing anything suspicious. But say if you are serping someone, and they don't like it or think you're an imposter, they can attack that player, and if he is in disguise they won't get the can't attack players outside of PK maps message. If they die, you see their real name, if they don't they get away.

That sounds good IMO, if you guys can code it that way.

edit: and to not cause any trouble for the mods, your real name is still shown when you talk (and that way they won't need to know who you are if you aren't causing trouble.)

Edited by St_Arcane

What a silly idea a tool for getting more Bagjumpers as allready exist? You will destroy the game totally!? Bagjumping should be have a official rule thats it is forbidden!

P.S.

If it only work in PK areas maybe, than its ok! But pls. not in non pk! But still dont like the idee generally there too. If u do bad things u should show in ure right Name!

Edited by Cyberwulf

Indeed it will, would be stupid to put it on infront of people then.

Ok thought about it some more, it's fine, make people PK'able while in disguise, without the opportunity to retaliate, but then here's another idea: how about if you put on your disguise, you get a wordbox where you can put in a fake name. That way you can walk around with a name around people, and not arouse too much suspicion if you are not doing anything suspicious. But say if you are serping someone, and they don't like it or think you're an imposter, they can attack that player, and if he is in disguise they won't get the can't attack players outside of PK maps message. If they die, you see their real name, if they don't they get away.

That sounds good IMO, if you guys can code it that way.

edit: and to not cause any trouble for the mods, your real name is still shown when you talk (and that way they won't need to know who you are if you aren't causing trouble.)

The mods would end up banning most users for trying to cause problems if you could supply any name you wanted. We already get too many complaints about bag jumpers and serping as it is, and now you want to place the blame on another player?????

I agree with what Korrode said.

If you are going to do not so nice things to people then you should be ready to face the penalty that comes with it. There should be no reason that someone should be able to do outlaw acts in complete secrecy.

lol why's everyone so interested in bagjumping and serping.... fine then, make it just work in PK, and if it's such a terrible idea, screw the names, just give you no name in PK. Already solved the responsibilty for your actions thing.

I wish you guys could think and comment positively, instead of banging on assumptions and half truths. (blaming it on another player? who said I wanted you to be able to copy another player's name?)

You dissappoint me.

edit: I'm done here, radu can have a look at this and decide for himself. Not worth my time argue'ing with people who can only think subjectively.

Edited by St_Arcane

hmm don't like it....

if you upset ppl, why not dare to take the consequences ? hmmm ?

would be another tool against us hard working ppl and for the lazzy "i want to raise

as fast as possible" ppl

sorry but i don't want to see getting el's balance more and more on fighting only site :o

only my thoughts

How is this balanced towards the fighting siDe? If it's only in PK it won't affect you, if it's not in PK, it will benefit anyone who uses it, fighter or not.

edit: I'm done here, radu can have a look at this and decide for himself. Not worth my time argue'ing with people who can only think subjectively.

We're going off your first post where it clearly stated that you want this implemented to do some outlawish things while hiding your true identity.

I've been wanting to partake in certain less than reputable activities of late, but since I'd tarnish my good name, I couldn't. So I was thinking implement a new item: Disguise

So I don't really see how you can back up any other reason for this idea except to cause trouble while remaining discrete.

Of course I do, but this 'trouble' is not against the rules? I can make a hundred alts and scam/bagjump with them too (not that scamming/bj was my intended activities). What difference does it make to you if I want the element of surprise when I attack, or to remain unknown if I want to indiscriminately kill people, without having to leave my guild permanently (which i'm in purely for social purposes). I PK for fun, I social for fun, unfortunately I cannot do both without giving up the other.

It adds a a fun aspect to the game IMO, if you get bagjumped/scammed it because you're stupid, it will happen regardless of disguises.

edit: You people are opposing this for the wrong reasons... you're doing it because you are scared, not because it's a bad idea.

Edited by St_Arcane

lol why's everyone so interested in bagjumping and serping

I wish you guys could think and comment positively, instead of banging on assumptions and half truths.

I wish people would think things through and consider all the ways others may use features they propose, instead of only their intended use... but we can't always get what we want.

Of course everyone's thinking about bagjumpers and serpers, look at what you're proposing.

edit:

@your last post

lol what have I got to be scared about? I don't bagmix, only a small percentage of players can serp my spawns.

I don't oppose it because i'm scared, I oppose it because it's unbalanced.

Edited by Korrode

that brings me to a question to myself

'why can't i resist to post here?' should know better :confused:

well, as for the price of such item, a name-change is 5$ iirc thats 40k gc...

shouldn't be below i would say....

Would be nice to be able to hide what you're wearing at least, if not hide the total identity. If every dragon armour had serious weakness for certain weapons, it'd be neat to wear a cape of something so the opponent couldn't be sure what to whoop you with, but needs to actually pay attention. Still many flaws involved, but would there be anything good in approach like this? And obviously a spell would be nice to have.

Then we can go into the superhero ideas with wearable stuff. 2 categories - villains and heroes. Looks you can imagine, villains and heroes gain total war status. If not a cape, an item (hero makeup, bought from NPC) that after used makes you hero/villain for set amount of time (lost status on death.) Names could be hidden until engages in a fight/done any hostile act. Ofc there already is a total war.

It is absolutely a bad idea. Let me tell you how, from a purely business point of view.

Who, do you think, will become a paying customer of EL? The dude who finds a helpful, fairly-competing community, or the guy who comes in to find the rule of anarchy firmly established? Your suggestion will facilitate the creation of a society where no one is accountable for scams, anti-n00b gameplay, theft et al. In a nutshell, your suggestion will facilitate the destruction of everything that makes EL different from WoW or other MMOGs out there that operate with highly abrasive communities. Seeing as how EL doesn't subsist on a tightly regimented society, this game will then descend into an identity crisis. And, um, that's bad.

So no, I rather think that your *good name*, as you put it, should be an expendable commodity. And there you have it.

It is absolutely a bad idea. Let me tell you how, from a purely business point of view.

Who, do you think, will become a paying customer of EL? The dude who finds a helpful, fairly-competing community, or the guy who comes in to find the rule of anarchy firmly established? Your suggestion will facilitate the creation of a society where no one is accountable for scams, anti-n00b gameplay, theft et al. In a nutshell, your suggestion will facilitate the destruction of everything that makes EL different from WoW or other MMOGs out there that operate with highly abrasive communities. Seeing as how EL doesn't subsist on a tightly regimented society, this game will then descend into an identity crisis. And, um, that's bad.

So no, I rather think that your *good name*, as you put it, should be an expendable commodity. And there you have it.

I think his idea has some merit. Thinking back to my old dice rolling d&d days Thievery and charm played a big role in "getting ones way without getting caught" And that said, in a role playing game like this, the idea makes some sense. It is one thing to be robbed from some one with a name above the head then to be robbed from someone unknown.

Even more intresting that you didnt even see it occur. Serping and bag jumping is very small EL crime, and it honestly happens pretty rarely. Though, it does happen, and the game creators have stated

"You do not own a bag"

"You do not own a spawn"

SO, if someone wants to be a theif, I can understand that. I think the ability to do so would be a great addition to the game (it is a game people) However, it should be expensive, hard to train/level. maybe instead of a pot/clothe, a good idea for a new polymorph, Like a "Bag wraith" -40 light modifier, low a/d but can sneak around and the better level shape shifter, the better chances of catching you off gaurd. And sure , hide the name of the char that is in this form, but, to do this shop glyps and many K creature food to level it

Anyhow, my ideas on the subject.

Wiz

I don't like bagjumping/serping etc., but this idea makes sense. People could easily make a mask to hide their identity, and probably would if they are smart. It must be balanced though, and being PKable in any map while wearing it is a great balance imo. :hehe:

This would add another fun element to the game, as well as give victims another option for retaliation aside from bot bans. I think the item should be worn on head or as a cloak, made by tailors, and have a moderate-high breakrate.

Given the added risks and costs to wearing it, i don't think it would add too terribly much to the ranks of the EL outlaws. The Eternal Lands world is not centrally governed (by any but the GOD and his mods of course) and it is more or less midieval times-so why should there not be outlaws? There are already some here, and if more surface with this item, hey at least if they rob you you can kill them-or try :P

yes wizzy im an old rpg player too, imagine the times at a table with the world in my head :)

but...i still think mmorpg are far different. on a table i have a few friends against the god and his quests...

to be honest why should we work hard on mixing and sell / buy stuff when we all can be thieves :confused:

would it be fun to see half of el anonymous ?

here you don't find the ppl you invite to your home for a dice rpg, not all are fair, so what do you expect if you have thieves here ? the nice game you remember or would it end up in big whining in forums ?

we have already a thief to hunt at night : leonard (alpha) if you mean such npc thieves i would like it,

but ppl here not always acting the way you want them, its not a rpg with one making the rules...

umm, again i couldn't resist to post, sorry :hug:

only my thoughts, wuffzel

ummm ps : remember this guy who bagjumped the casty drop bag ? do we realy want more of this ? if yes, who wants to fight a casty then ?

what about the high level fighters ? would it be fun to train if a anonymous player waits beside to grab your drops ?

invisible potions/spells are time limited way to hide, but permanent hiding ? :confused:

Edited by wuffzel

This topic is giving an idea that bagjumping is easy and gives huge income. So not true.

Shame Erstad (bless that man) isn't playing anymore, could ask for some reliable lifestyle jumper feedback. Only reward for a BJer is when they find a moron who has no idea of risk management. Also you can't jump a fighting drop just like that, but need the person to move away from bag. A bag isn't a temporary storage.

Hyperbags are another story, but has nothing to do with the implementation. Those are like picking berries if you know what you're doing, and it's rare you get busted.

And what comes to serping... have you ever seen serping in PK area? If the disquise made you PKable and unknown you surely either get a spawn or a trip to UW/Brave Sir Robing playing on the background.

Imagine serping made illegal, unless wearing a disquise. (a bitch to moderate, tho)