Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cilestiel

broding

I was reading a dispute post today about broding, and I do agree that broding in PK just to see if you can kill higher lvls for their items (silly ones without rostogol) or just to be able to kill people is not a good thing, however what do you think about broding when you are on a hydro run?

is this deemed acceptable, because you are defending your stock of s2e's for your hydro run.

I was reading a dispute post today about broding, and I do agree that broding in PK just to see if you can kill higher lvls for their items (silly ones without rostogol) or just to be able to kill people is not a good thing, however what do you think about broding when you are on a hydro run?

is this deemed acceptable, because you are defending your stock of s2e's for your hydro run.

What does brod'ing have to do with killing players?

If someone was on a hydro run and your intent was to kill them in the hope that they'd drop S2E's, brod would be a horrible weapon choice, it only does 10-20 damage... no one would ever use a brod for this purpose.

Do you understand what the brod does, Cil?

Carrying a BRoD on a hydro run is a waste of inventory space. A serious hydro harvester cba to prepare to PK with all the related items, else they'd double the run time. Also if someone wants to defend themselves from ebul PKers, they don't use BRoD that's weak dmg and useless since attacker has CotU anyway (person attacking someone on a hydro run is very likely to be an experienced PKer.) Not to mention the price tag on one.

But more on topic, BRoDing needs no reason imo. There are 99,9% sure way to be safe from being branched anyway, and it makes some nice drama. Use one on a hydro run and you are the laughingstock. Use one succesfully on a hydro run and I salute you.

And on a side note, those s2es and other random use of inventory space a harvester is carrying belongs to the PKer until you're away from PK area :wub:

IMO, using a BoD is always acceptable.

PK is about killing players, hence the name... that's all a BoD does.

On the topic of the BRoD i disagree with Dugur about it not requiring a reason for use. Just because there's protection against the unbalanced item doesn't make it's use somehow legitimized.

Edited by Korrode

I agree with Korrode (at least partly), BoD/scythe is completely fine for PK in any occasion.

Players' opinions on BroD vary greatly though, some thing it's ok to use against any enemy(or even neutral), some don't want to use it at all.

Anyway 99% of PKers wear either mage pants or COTU so it'd not be very good idea to try to BroD(or BoD) them :P.

EDIT:Typo

Edited by FeLkkU

BoD and scythe are ok in every situations imo.

And actually I think same way about brod. I don't really care if someone randomly brods everyone without reason. Personally I wouldn't do it, but if someone thinks it's fun, it's completely ok for me.

Kudos to anyone who manages to get a bod/brod hit, I don't think I've seen anyone in PK for years that hasn't had a red cape or those silly mage pants... the brod threat might have had some weight behind it before 08ish but since lucix's brod era any decent PKer wouldn't enter without 1-2 cotu. The thing I don't really understand is that when we asked radu to remove brod he said he'd never remove it but then gives the mage robe bottom the cotu perk :S

Pretty sure <TE> was the only guild that brods for attacking them on hydro run.

IMO, using a BoD is always acceptable.

PK is about killing players, hence the name... that's all a BoD does.

On the topic of the BRoD i disagree with Dugur about it not requiring a reason for use. Just because there's protection against the unbalanced item doesn't make it's use somehow legitimized.

And with epic armours these days it's just convenient to get rid of opponents armour by breaking them so they take more damage and die faster. The problem is just that the moment you whip it out there's easy counterstrategy, and if there isn't - diss+tele. Then if you manage to cool them down and go on a BRoDing rampage ppl value their gear more than their lives -> strip down and try to flee to suicide.

Major flaw is just that the moment opponent loses armour, they won't come back. But isn't that the most epic win, since many seem to think PK as a battle of factions (looking at the alliances.)

And tbh if there was a chance of drops no one would BRoD since it'd just waste the potential drop value. Blame the rostos.

I do agree BRoD is gay, but don't see why it shouldn't be used. Very nice way to increase your PC aggro.

And BoD, Scythe and RoD are all ok imo too.

I do agree BRoD is gay, but don't see why it shouldn't be used. Very nice way to increase your PC aggro.

Maybe because it's obvious that, especially considering the "epic armours" around nowadays, that players being able to inflict that much distress on another players isn't going to lead to an enjoyable gaming experience for the majority of people?

If a player is a new to PK'ing and not very good at it as yet and they go in a PK area with their shiny Ice dragon armor set and RDHoLM equipped (that they've just worked months for) to try out EL's PvP, see if it's a fun experience, and another player pulls brod and our newb isn't quick enough or doesn't realise what's going on and in one fight gets the whole armor set broded, do you think they're going to return to PK? do you think they're going to rave to their friends about how fun PvP in EL is?

Fuck no.

Name me another MMORPG where there's an item that, if the opponent forgets the counter item, allows a player to inflict the kind of loss a BRoD does in EL.

Some guilds find BroD to be unnacceptable. I personally don't allow my guildmates to attack others regardless of the situation, but if they are attacked without their permission, I have no problem at all with them pulling out a BroD or a BoD or doing whatever other nasty trick they can to save their butts. Self defence is self defence after all. And ummm....BroD is a nice deterrent on a hydro run. Who wants to break their stuff? Stackable white tiger stones which are usually used by those hunting hydro harvesters is also a nice defence against those hunting. Or at least I would think so.

its in game, its acceptable, live with it

kk lets delete the suggestions forum section while we're at it.

which is the suggestion? Dont brod or bod at hydro run? i have 6k hydro (not much but still) at my counters ... when u see a pker attacking u the first thing u do is to leave, not stay and fight. Why> because simply u are going to harvest so your inv is mostly filled with s2e, the pker is there to kill so his inv is ready for a fight, there is not really any point at staying and fight, just have enough to get out alive. You can carry whatever light (emu) weapon u want , but eventually u are going to diss/tele

Edited by Mistral

its in game, its acceptable, live with it

kk lets delete the suggestions forum section while we're at it.

what is the suggestion?

Your post implied that because something is in-game that makes it acceptable and we should live with it.

I think an open mind to changes, including the removal of item/features, is a better mindset to have.

Obviously, the between-the-lines connotation of my post is that I suggest BRoD should be removed from the game.

I'm no PKer but I think korrode is saying to keep PK competitive, you don't want something that may make new comers think twice about trying to PK again.

it would be cool to remove BroD, i wouldnt mind but there are some other items that need to be removed first... imho atm the fear of someone having a brod is a safety net against them

good for the economy

A number of people have said this over the years, "brod is good for the economy"...

It is and has always been the most idiotic justification for the brod's existence.

I hope someday you get broded for 1+ Mgc worth of stuff, maybe have a therm serp that you just spend $90 on at the shop taken out, and then you can tell me how it was all worth it for the sake of the economy.

Edit:

@Q

Cool parable to think on when discussing the brod. ^^

Edited by Korrode

good for the economy

A number of people have said this over the years, "brod is good for the economy"...

It is and has always been the most idiotic justification for the brod's existence.

I hope someday you get broded for 1+ Mgc worth of stuff, maybe have a therm serp that you just spend $90 on at the shop taken out, and then you can tell me how it was all worth it for the sake of the economy.

Edit:

@Q

Cool parable to think on when discussing the brod. ^^

woah

by saying that i was poking fun at the "it's good for the economy" people

lighten the **** up

Edited by Sonny

good for the economy etc etc

No, I think more players would be good for the economy. An item like this is only meant to cause heartache imo. A way to try and seek revenge on people who did you wrong.

The only part of the economy that this is any good for is actually the cape seller, but that's an NPC and cotu can not be made by players. So to say it quite simply BroD is nothing more than a gold coin sink and grief maker.

No, I think more players would be good for the economy.

Indeed.

I think more players would be the best thing for EL in general. For economy, for PK activity, for everything.

...and BRoD is not something helps get new players, if anything it deters players.

edit:

woah

by saying that i was poking fun at the "it's good for the economy" people

lighten the **** up

lrn2sarcasmtag.

A sarcastic tone cannot be heard when reading text.

Edited by Korrode