Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
test78

Several market channels ; searching in market

1.) I suggest to establish several market channels. At least one for buying and one for selling - so there will no need to type 'selling:'.

Other divisions could be: Armor, Weapons, Potions,...

The suggestion from another Player is also good: by price (why should a newbie read announcements for 20000 gold?)

... this can be (probably) changed without a new version.

For the next Version:

2.) own top-menu for market-channels. (top-menu 'Buying', sub-menu 'weapons' & top-menu 'Selling', sub-menu 'weapons' ...)

3.) a searching-function over all market messages.

4.) directives: answer always with a private message ; 'b:' means 'buying:' , '10g' means '10 gold' , etc. ...

5.) market-tutorial to learn and to establish the directives.

EL does not have so vast population to split market channel. Anyway, you can only listen to three channels at once, this would impair the interaction between people on marketing level.

Who said split the market channel... I think this idea is after creating a system where market messages of buying/selling are saved so you would have to type them once and other players can browse the 'market library' to find offers. Filtering out unnecessary info.

3.) a searching-function over all market messages.

This role is in part served by Rraisa: type /rraisa buy <item> to get a list of bots and market messages about selling the <item>, or /rraisa sell <item> to get a list of bots and market messages about buying the <item>.

Of course the matching is imperfect, since messages on the market are written by humans, but Rraisa tries to recognize common abbreviations such as "efe", "srs", "PV", "we" etc., and also assign different scores to lines with "sell", "selling", "WTS" or "buy", "buying", "WTB" and the like.

If I remember correctly, it was limited to the last 500 previous market messages, maybe it is time to raise that limit (now with many more bots on the market, 500 messages are no longer 2 hours of real time, which seeemed a good compromise back in 2007 when Rraisa was first deployed).

I don't see this as practical or useful at all.

As Khalai mentioned, we only have 3 channels at a time anyway.

I disagree newbies shouldn't see all items offered, that's just silly.

Also please remember people don't just buy or just sell, or even deal with just one item at a time.

Market channel rules are already pretty strict to cut down on spam and chaos. If people actually followed them, it would be a lot cleaner in there as well. :P

If you use #ignore_bots to cut out the bot spam (which you can get selectively with rraisa or one of the search sites), and everybody sticks to the 5 minute rule, then there are about 20 messages per hour in market from real people. Seems that there i no need to categorise that into smaller bits.

I tend to find the market channel ingame a bit outdated considering we have external tools that sum the products available for selling and buying neatly and conveniently.

For the larger orders/rares, market forums are generally used(often in conjunction with the channel).

No real need to change what is ingame imo. If you want those functions, just look up one of the external sites :P

http://greypal.el-fd.org/cgi-bin/querybot

http://bots.el-services.net/index.php

m026.gif

Frost that deals with only Bots. That's selective and doesn't offer "true" prices considering most bots undercut one another, and then sell for more for a profit

Don't mention the el-services search since Greypal's includes all those and many more anyways :P:sneaky:

Frost that deals with only Bots. That's selective and doesn't offer "true" prices considering most bots undercut one another, and then sell for more for a profit

I personally wouldn't want to speculate if "most" bots do as you say, mine certainly doesn't (I don't undercut buying prices).

Your point is taken nonetheless, but still doesn't mean we need ch3, as Frost said the market forums are there for orders of large quantities and another good external site is Schmurk's market thingy:

http://schmurk.corner.free.fr/el/market.php#search

Of course that's reliant on people keeping their info on what they're selling/buying up to date.

Oh I didn't mean that I supported the idea. I don't see the point really.

I was just saying that a person can't rely on the bot prices. You're right though not all bots undercut one another. Some do though. I guess from a strategic standpoint it helps make you money so it doesn't matter much really.

Rraisa & sides : that's usefull! (although its's patchwork instead a professional trading system)

thanks

so i adapt my suggestions:

6.) make Rraisa official (faq in help-button)

( 5.) trade-tutorial to learn Rraisa )

http://rip-el.forumotion.com/Modified-Greypals-Marketsearch-h1.htm

That search includes greypals and schmurk'corners, this side also is in consideration to put in here a table with the last 30 not bot marketchannel messages

With the exception of the colour scheme that's kinda horrible on the eyes, that's a nice search.

One thing, when a result is displayed for schmurk's corner, it doesn't link correctly.

for eg.

chr0nik is buying ELE on schmurk's market, but when i try to click his name in the results it takes me to:

http://holy-eternalland.de/market.php?user=chr0nik

rather than:

http://schmurk.corner.free.fr/el/market.php?user=chr0nik

Here is a suggestion I have been mulling over for some time - a new official channel for trade bot messages only combined with an standardized message format. The benefits as I see them are numerous

- restrict trade bots on #3 to shorter messages (perhaps 1 item at a time only) and longer delays. Perhaps we could even turn #ignore_bots off :rolleyes: . As it is now, I suspect nobody listens to the bot adverts anyway

- bots could be allowed to talk more on their own channel. A nice feature would be to announce in real time any changes in their inv or price list, or let players know of temporary timeouts to take a trip to the storage or just have a cigarette;

- as the channel is for bots only, messages do not have to be human readable. Why not <S150x119a45> instead of Selling 150 iron bars 45gc each

- we could have much better Rraisa-like services, always up to date. The most trouble is caused by difficulties in parsing

- we could have much better market seach web pages as the protocol provides a unified msg format that anyone can use to announce their trades, including 'private' bots. Greypal search is very good, but it is impossible to know every bot's web page or API to query the inventory

- numeric item id-s can be translated to any language

There are buts, of course like sets, minimum amounts, trades not involving gc, different prices for world/guild, explanatory comments, pseudo-bots like Schmurk corner etc, but they seem minor.