Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
itzman

Notes on using desktop launcher (Gnome) to start EL.

I couldn't get this to work until I wrote a little script to start the program up.

And changed directory to the el install directory before invoking the program.

i.e.

$ more el-start

#!/bin/sh

cd /home/me/el

/usr/bin/aoss /home/me/el/el.x86_64.linux.bin >/tmp/el 2>&1

$

Don't worry about the aoss bit, that's to get sound working, or the redirection of errors at the tail. Lots of those. My rubbish video setup.

Hope this helps someone else.

You can also set the command in the launcher to something like this and run EL w/o the need for a script:

gnome-terminal --working-directory /usr/local/games/el -e /usr/local/games/el/el.x86.linux.bin

You can also set the command in the launcher to something like this and run EL w/o the need for a script:

gnome-terminal --working-directory /usr/local/games/el -e /usr/local/games/el/el.x86.linux.bin

Yes, that looks perfectly reasonable to me. I'd rather spawn a shell than a whole terminal tho:-)

I have to say this is a pretty good port, considering how small the team probably is.

I have terrible screen speed on complex renderings (1FPS) but its very playable even so. I'll be looking into that and the audio issues to try and give extra info on who to set it up so it works 'out of the box'. I know my video susbsystem is pretty rubbish here, so that's no criticism of the code as such.

Artistic quality is very good I think. Hats off to the composers and graphics chaps and chappesses. I'd love to contribute, but haven't a clue if my 3D software (Rhino) is compatible....

I couldn't get this to work until I wrote a little script to start the program up.

And changed directory to the el install directory before invoking the program.

i.e.

$ more el-start

#!/bin/sh

cd /home/me/el

/usr/bin/aoss /home/me/el/el.x86_64.linux.bin >/tmp/el 2>&1

$

Don't worry about the aoss bit, that's to get sound working, or the redirection of errors at the tail. Lots of those. My rubbish video setup.

Hope this helps someone else.

Fantastic, thank you! Worked like a charm.

Specifically, I am running Arch with ratpoison wm (and Archbang which has default openbox even though I installed and usually use ratpoison).

I had been looking for a way to start EL without the lingering terminal. Solution for ratpoison was to bind a hotkey (add "bind e exec cd ~/el_linux && ./el.x86.linux.bin" to your .ratpoisonrc).

Openbox was giving me fits because it just was not running through the desktop menu launcher, as your post says, no matter how many different ways I tried. By rights, I was sure that "cd /home/archlette/el_linux && ./el.x86.linux.bin" should work from the menu. It works in a regular terminal. No joy.

I found this thread and this is what I did:

1.Created a new file called ELstartup and put it in /home/archlette/

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/archlette/el_linux
/home/archlette/el_linux/el.x86.linux.bin

2. $ sudo chmod 755 ELstartup

3. Opened up Openbox menu editor and added a new item:

Label: EL ---- type: item ---- Action: execute ---- Execute: ./ELstartup

Clicked save and closed it.

Now all I have to do is open the menu and click on the EL option there now.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this