Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tharkis

Thinking about giving EL a shot

So I don't have a whole lot of time these days. I have a bunch of kids, remodeling a house, work, wife, dog... Pick an excuse. In any case, I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something. I'm looking for a game where there's more than 6 people online. I'm looking for a game which has a helpful population. One in which I don't feel like I'm being deprived of fun because I can't afford to buy extra bag space. I'm looking for interesting quests and characters. A game without 31874 people in the middle of town trying to sell me crap, or spamming for gold, powerleveling, or scam sites. In short, I'm looking for a game where I can have fun.

I understand you guys might be a little biased, because well... You play the game. However, I have read over a few posts in the different forums and I expect you'll lay out the good and the bad for me. So if you forum denizens would be so kind, please give me the pros/cons of EL.

Thanks,

Tharkis

If you aren't looking to 'win' the game by the end of the week then this could be a good game for you. Some projects can be very large and require a lot of time but that time can be put in whenever you have it. You will find that a large majority of the gaming population to be friendly and helpful and there are a lot of guilds to pick from. Joining a guild can really add a lot of fun into your gaming experience. On the flip side you will also find that some players and guilds play the darker side of the game and might not be so nice. There are lots of quests to do and NPCs to talk to and skills to work on. There are many people who play without buying anything from the shop. The game shop also offers lots of items to increase enjoyment of the game for real life money.

Give the game a try. You don't really have anything to lose but a little time.

So I don't have a whole lot of time these days. I have a bunch of kids, remodeling a house, work, wife, dog... Pick an excuse. In any case, I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something.

Are we really going to lead this person on?

So I don't have a whole lot of time these days. I have a bunch of kids, remodeling a house, work, wife, dog... Pick an excuse.

Welcome to 50% of the EL commutity if not more sounds like you fit it well

In any case, I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something.

Eternal Lands is not a game that can be won. Yes you have to work for things and goals but these goals are not set in stone you have all the time in the world

I'm looking for a game where there's more than 6 people online. I'm looking for a game which has a helpful population. One in which I don't feel like I'm being deprived of fun because I can't afford to buy extra bag space.

Well there is a good player base here ( yes im bisa and yes i cant spell ) as for helpful in my honest opion of EL is yes 80% of EL is helpful you will get good advice and bad advice you just have to use your common sence even the bad lot dont normaly scam there own so you just have to decide how you wish to play. as for buying extra bag space every one has the same here no matter what the shop sells

I'm looking for interesting quests and characters.

well in EL there are lately tons of new quest I personaly have enjoyed all of them and done 80% of them they not only help you leavel up but also add a lot of roleplaying to the game

A game without 31874 people in the middle of town trying to sell me crap, or spamming for gold, powerleveling, or scam sites.

Yes there is a market channel but its easy configable you dont have to lissen to bots selling you stuff also you normaly get honest answer from the channels if you require prices. Again just use common sence. and there is NO spamming of sites inside game to buy stuff from.

In short, I'm looking for a game where I can have fun.

In short this game is fun you will meet lots of fun and good ppl. there are the ones that try to scam ( you will find that in all games) again just use common sence but tbh the morjority of the ppl here will try to let evey one know who they are ( if you have read disputes you would of seen ). I hope you decide to join in the commuinty and hel pbuild up whats I think has become a great game.

tbh it is really hard to say if any one game would be right for you or not.

You can have fun in el if you spend a few hours a week or spend every waking moment here. The community is close knit and quite easy to make long lasting friends with (or long lasting enemies if you decide to walk that path)

Naturally you progress slowly if you play a little. However unless your interested in powerlevelling and being the best it doesnt matter one bit. It's a game and the idea is you have fun. I think El gives you enough choices to play it however you want. You can go from a mixer to a fighter in the blink of an eye.

The fact you can do a lot of things with only a little spent time can be a good thing to someone who only has a small amount of time to play and you can read books etc to build your knowledge whilst away from the screen (as long as you remember to pop back to feed your character every now and then) is a big bonus.

Personally id say down load the game, play through the tutorial. Worst case scenario you get a few hours entertainment out of it. Or perhaps like so many of us you play a bit and come to love the game and decide to stick around a bit.

Hope to see you wandering our fair lands soon.

So I don't have a whole lot of time these days. I have a bunch of kids, remodeling a house, work, wife, dog... Pick an excuse. In any case, I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something. I'm looking for a game where there's more than 6 people online. I'm looking for a game which has a helpful population. One in which I don't feel like I'm being deprived of fun because I can't afford to buy extra bag space. I'm looking for interesting quests and characters. A game without 31874 people in the middle of town trying to sell me crap, or spamming for gold, powerleveling, or scam sites. In short, I'm looking for a game where I can have fun.

I understand you guys might be a little biased, because well... You play the game. However, I have read over a few posts in the different forums and I expect you'll lay out the good and the bad for me. So if you forum denizens would be so kind, please give me the pros/cons of EL.

Thanks,

Tharkis

EL takes a lot of time and dedication to feel as if you have accomplished something. In my opinion, if you are looking for a quick and easy route then you are not on the right game. Though over time you can accomplish quite a bit, but as I stated it takes lots of dedication and patience.

You cannot buy extra bag space (in this case it's called emu). The amount of stuff you can carry is directly related to how you place your pickpoints as you level. There are a few out there who will try to scam you if they get the chance and this is completely legal and there is no recourse for you if you get scammed other than the ability to put that person in the disputes section of these forums. So if you stick around be very aware of who you are trading with and pay very close attention to the trade window.

You can have a lot of fun playing this game but there will be times where things can get very frustrating because you could work really hard getting something nice and loose it in a instant to a wide variety of reasons. Though there is a way to protect yourself from this. You can purchase rostogol stones for in game gold coin (if someone is willing to sell or a bot has one on them) or you can purchase them from the EL shop (though very expensive at $5 per rostogol). ***Things that you are wearing can break during combat or during certain special days and there is no way to protect from this (well on Acid Rain Day just make sure to not be outside wearing your nice things while it's raining).

There is a very high amount of moderating in the game so be prepared to make yourself knowledgeable of the rules (hit F5 in game to read over them). They are also placed on the screen for you before you can create a character.

Over the last year the game owner and developers have added a whole lot of new quest that gives experience to each of your different skills. There are also daily quest that can be replayed every 24 hour period and can be varied.

In all of my time playing this game I had a lot of fun doing different skills and enjoyed the company of some of the players. Best bet is to give the game a shot and decide for yourself if it's the kind of game you would like to stick around in.

I started to play this game 7 years ago, just to find out, what this is.

I haven't found a clear answer right now, thats what keeps me logging on and see how this game evolves over the years.

Give it a try, it's worth it ;)

Piper

Wanted to type several things here to tell you how great this game is and how many nice/funny/insane :P people there is in here and how i've seen this game grow and become better and better and evolve to what it is now thru several years but all in all the only thing i can really say to you is:

Try it out, some ppl love EL and some ppl don't so it's all up to you to form your own opinion.

I hope you will be the former rather then the later but thats because i already am hooked ;)

What ever you do have fun!

It depends on what you want to accomplish and what your goals are.

If you want to be a pure fighter, 5 hours a day are not nearly enough.

If you just want to be mixer and make gcs, then you'll have a sense of accomplishment from day one because you can log in a new char, go harvest sulfer/flowers, mix fire essences and sell it for 3gcs each to magic shop and you'll be rich in no time. So it depends on your definition of accomplishment.

Don't compare your stats to others, just have fun and work on your own goals.

I'm not trying to lead you on. This isn't a game where you will be farming dragons and killing everyone in PK maps from day one (not even year one). But there are so many other things that make it worthwhile to play EL.

Edited by hussam

I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something.

This game isn't for you.

Let me clarify this quote a little. In WoW, it takes about that long to get to level 70. Basically, there's no interaction between players until level 80. What I am talking about is accomplishing something, anything. Whether it be a level, crafting an item, finishing a quest. In WoW (until the new expansion I suspect), the world is a barren wasteland until you get to where the level 70+ are. You don't feel like you've accomplished anything until you get to that point.

What I am looking for is a game that I can sit down and play for an hour, or 6 hours and say "Hey! At least I got X done.".

I am looking for a game that doesn't require that I spend 5 hours a night for a week to feel like I accomplished something.

This game isn't for you.

Let me clarify this quote a little. In WoW, it takes about that long to get to level 70. Basically, there's no interaction between players until level 80. What I am talking about is accomplishing something, anything. Whether it be a level, crafting an item, finishing a quest. In WoW (until the new expansion I suspect), the world is a barren wasteland until you get to where the level 70+ are. You don't feel like you've accomplished anything until you get to that point.

What I am looking for is a game that I can sit down and play for an hour, or 6 hours and say "Hey! At least I got X done.".

This game is for you. :D

A good way to start this game is by doing the newbie tutorial from the tutorial NPC.

Not only will you have gained some xp, gc and items, you will also have learned how the game works and what you like/do not like to do.

In addition there are a few daily quests and ladder like skill challenges that the NPC will introduce you to. The dailis you can (try to) do every day and are adjusted to your level, the ladder quests will allow you to do the first few steps and give you something to work towards for a very long time.

Yes, you will feel like that in EL from day one if you get good advice on how to start. Easy. do tutorial quest. Then start working on things you don't need books for. You can make threads for crafting experience, FE for alch experience. Those will give you a feeling of accomplishment. Save up money for stuff you need books for and make more advanced items. The great thing about EL is that the is something for everyone regardless of level to make. Even stuff like FE are important and people will buy thousands of them from you. Ask in channels 1 and 2. most people will be delighted to give advice.

So again yes, you can craft an item from day one in EL.

Edited by hussam

A good way to start this game is by doing the newbie tutorial from the tutorial NPC.

Not only will you have gained some xp, gc and items, you will also have learned how the game works and what you like/do not like to do.

In addition there are a few daily quests and ladder like skill challenges that the NPC will introduce you to. The dailis you can (try to) do every day and are adjusted to your level, the ladder quests will allow you to do the first few steps and give you something to work towards for a very long time.

+ This game has the greatest player community I've ever seen.(WoW really sucks at that)

+ Even when you start new skill,you don't make items just for exp and then to sell them to NPCs or drop them for nothing.

The basic crafted stuff is required pretty much for all level crafters (mixers,manufacturers,alchemists,...)

+ Then you don't have to choose what you'll be when you create your character,you can kinda do anything or everything,or specialize now and later change it later...

- If you want to be "the best in this skill" you will have to play many hours a day for very long (speaking years)

+- When you break the rules the mods are usually quick to punish you and you don't manage to talk them into forgiving you (would be pure +,but accidents happen (like 0,1%) and some innocent people get punished.

Everybody tells you to give it a try,but I warn you: once you try it,you never stop.... you just have a break before you go on playing again.(selling/destroying your char doesn't help either)

!!!This game is addictive!!!

This game isn't for you.

Hmm, I've 4 80s myself and leveling up does take it's time, but compared to leveling to "end-game" (combat wise) in EL you'll be spending years instead of months.

You'll enjoy EL if you aren't too into PvP as the mixing system is pretty laid back and you can harvest while doing household chores or whatever irl.. however if you are big on PvP then EL won't do you any favours, the combat* system is undesirable.