Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkFury

So im a "new" player

I've been playing for a week now (played 6 years ago, but not for long) and i am 43 OA with some skills here and there. As i am PVP player in all of the games i have played, i was wondering whats the story with EL PVP/PK. I got back because this is one of the few sandbox games out there with PK/Looting system. I'm really interested in the PK server, but i see its pretty much a ghost town. I want your opinions and thoughts on what lvl i will be able to successfuly PK/PVP.

.. but i see its pretty much a ghost town.

That's trivial to fix if more people (perhaps like yourself) would play there.

I want your opinions and thoughts on what lvl i will be able to successfuly PK/PVP.

It doesn't matter. No matter what level you are, there will be people whom you can beat in a fight, and people who will beat you. Since the main server doesn't have an a/d cap, no matter how much you play, there will always be someone who has played more and has a higher level.

But for someone who enjoys PK/PVP, that doesn't matter. It's about the fun of the competition.

On the other hand, if "successfully" means "win all the time", that won't happen because, again, there's always someone better out there.

Here's your options to be a powerful PK'er (without buying a character) in EL by anyones standards:

1. Spend a few months levelling ranging. You will be able to kill everyone and everyone will be able to kill you. If you have good evasive tactics you'll die less. The cost to level ranging isn't too high, but still costs a bit, if you don't want to harvest/mix heaps for gc, buy it with RL$.

2. Spend 10 years levelling a/d and buying pickpoints and then all your melee combat opponents with be equal to or weaker than you. A couple of rangers will still be able to rip your health down fast though, especially if you get unlucky with your point defense (which are completely luck based), though if you get your hands on the rangers you can kill them equally as fast.

3. Spend maybe 8 months to a year (not 100% sure, I haven't levelled Engineering) levelling Magic and Engineering and use wards and Harm/MD to kill opponents. Getting max rationality and high magic and engineering takes a lot of time and costs alot, buying gc will make it a lot faster.

4. Spend maybe 1-2 years levelling summoning and you will have the potential to completely clear KF, but you'll spend a veritable fortune doing it. I haven't levelled summoning personally, but my understanding is making those stones is one hell of a grind. Also, if the rangers or the fighters get their hands on you, you'll drop quick.

5. Spend 1-2 years setting up a character especially for DPa1. Tactics often isn't worth much there, but strategy is. The fights are very costly and can be very lengthy, also if you only PK there those who fight in KF will be like "lol DPa n00b" (though most of them won't come and fight you there).

EDIT: These are purist paths, obviously there's hybrid options.

--------------

Ranging is the only quick option that's on-going PK cost isn't all too extreme, but as a Ranger you're always on the run and the opponents you kill won't feel a sense of defeat because they believe your skill is overpowered.

Actually, the fighters will never feel a sense of defeat unless killed by another fighter.

If you're a ranger "lol your skill is OP".

If you're a summoner "lol you just had to spend 50kgc+ to kill me and you don't even get PK central message, let alone my PKi".

If you're a mage/engineer "lol wards are OP".

Anyways now I'm just ranting... in short; if I had to give a suggestion of a method to pursue to be a PK'er in EL, i'd say focus on Ranging. If you want to be a melee fighter and you've got money to blow spend $1k+ and buy a top 10 character. $1-2k is a small amount if you weigh it against the money you could earn in the time it takes to level a char to top 10 and get a bunch of bought pp's.

EDIT2:

Oh but I should add, if you buy a char no one will feel a sense of defeat when you kill them either; "lol you're a char buyer".

Edited by Korrode

Korrode forgot the option of allying all and joining the gangbang at any level counting on critical hits and equipment.

Get magic level enough to cast MI without failing.

While at it I'd recommend focusing on the art of PK especially on flaming department. Start with "your mother" -related flames (rec flame lvl 5) and with grinding some levels there you'll eventually be ready to flame on unoff forums (rec lvl 25) or troll here (get evade moderator attention -perk) Around Flame lvl 85 or higher you should be able to make newbies log off crying and oldbies heat up so good they fail to function properly and are easier kills.

But honestly imo, you should be able to get some fun in PK even with 110+'s a/d. Even earlier if you're good and got some other skills Korrode mentioned (hybrid approach.) Ofc those levels you'll be mainly cannon fodder since the top got good load of bought pps and ad 140+, but there will also be moments of glory. Just need tons of gc to spend.

Best advice(?) is to just go in even at lower levels to see what's happening out there, too many ppl just grind (for years...) hoping to one day fight the top. And not every PKer is an asshole towards lower levels. Just don't whine even when slaughtered and you'll get better welcome.

I agree with dugur. You don't need to be top 10 a/d to have fun in PK. I have pretty low lvl char atm (99/123 a/d) and I'm having fun with it in PK even I can't kill every single player in game. Just go to KF with few friends and see how it goes. Since it's no drop, you can't even lose anything there.

But if you want to be able to PK every moving thing in KF, then it's better to quit EL or buy a char. Or buy/harv/scam 10M gc and train your rang lvl up and still you'll get pwned easily by skilled PKers.

Also, if you want to gain something from PK you will have to learn to make use of certain 'features' because it is not very often you'll find opponents in drop maps. Warning: using such 'features' will most likely turn you into a so called outlaw.

So, in other words i have to shoot stuff few months so i can participate in PVP. This was actually my initial plan with gettin magic or potions for invis, or both and also getting the ninja tunic/cape.

But for someone who enjoys PK/PVP, that doesn't matter. It's about the fun of the competition.

I disagree. Everything about PVP in this game has shown me it is about lack of moral scruples and being able to be a bully killing fellow players to take DBs and most of the PVP players attack only weaker foes except in no drop areas. If a superior foe confronts them they do not enjoy the competition but flee.

PVP is about cowardliness and in many PVP players would no different that armed robbers attacking elderly if they could get away with it.

I disagree. Everything about PVP in this game has shown me it is about lack of moral scruples and being able to be a bully killing fellow players to take DBs and most of the PVP players attack only weaker foes except in no drop areas. If a superior foe confronts them they do not enjoy the competition but flee.

PVP is about cowardliness and in many PVP players would no different that armed robbers attacking elderly if they could get away with it.

Nice to see your positive attitude shining through yet again. It's a f*****g game, lighten the f**k up. It has nothing to do with morality or attacking elderly, for crying out loud - get a grip. You say the same thing about people who challenge inexperienced players in Mario Cart?

Do you even have any idea how many players there are who get high entertainment value from pvp in EL? Do you even pk?

Edited by chr0nik

Channel 6 spam is not too representative for what PVP is all about, Saxum. It's the excesses that draw most of the attention though. I think if you were to want to get an idea of what pvp can also be, I'm sure there would be people to talk to you ingame about it.