Eternal Lands Official Forums
vinoveritas

Adding a new hotkey to the client

I would love to see that the function of the Mix/one Mix/all button in the inventory would be made also getable over an hotkey. Reason right now we have the 6 first slots selectable over the keyboard, for fast access as well as spells. combining the mixing also to a keys may make it possible to mix a few stuffs without having to grap the mouse, (you still need to grap it for getting the ingrediences into your inventory). It would provide people with an additional way of mixing, as for the people who cry that would help macroing, which is the only real negative site i would see at that thing, i would say, well you need mouse movements allready to stock your inventory, so if someone is right now macroing, that extra mousemovement to the mix button would be no difficulty for him to implement.

But the help for someone who mixes alot is great

Just use xbindkeys and xdotool to route some rarely/unused keyboard button to left mouse click and leave the cursor over the mix/mix all button.

This solution requires you run Linux tho :>

Korrode its simply 4 lines changes in 3 files for the el client developer to manage this

I could write it in 3-4 minutes. so the problem is not writing that, but shall it be done, because as i see it right now doing anything someone can do right now that makes this behaviour i would consider macroing.

Edited by vinoveritas

I'm not against your suggestion, I was just being a Linux zealot.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you've said right, but if you're implying what I suggested is macro'ing, I beg to differ. There is no automated sequence of actions. A single key press is performed for a single action to take place, I don't see how it matters if it's on the keyboard or mouse. Movement impaired people use software that provides similar functions for their day-to-day computing, are you saying they would be macro'ers?

EDIT: not to mention keyboards with inbuilt trackpads/trackballs/etc., that have the mouse buttons on the keyboard panel. Is it macro'ing to use one of those?

Edited by Korrode

Ah i just thought you where one of those guys who say why shall we spend time developing something if there is an other way to do it, :) that thinking would put me out of work.

And it is really guite simple to do it i am writing the patch that would work down here.

keys.h

extern Uint32 K_MIX; /*!< key used to start mixing */

keys.c (somwhere in the keys definiton place)

Uint32 K_MIX=(one of the definde key combos);

//the following at the same place where all the others like this are so the key.ini can be used

if((t = get_string_occurance("#K_MIX",file_mem,key_file_size,0)) != -1)

K_MIX = parse_key_string(&file_mem[t]);

//last in gamewin.c

else if (key == K_MIX)

{

if((items_mix_but_all))

mixall_handler();

else

mixone_handler();

}

Added the int variable used in items.c for checking which button is drawn

Edited by vinoveritas

Can you add the Get All function to it as well please? :)

"Get All" would be great, then I could finally stop missclicking that "Drop All". No fun dropping the whole inventory instead of picking up a bag.

Can you add the Get All function to it as well please? :)

"Get All" would be great, then I could finally stop missclicking that "Drop All". No fun dropping the whole inventory instead of picking up a bag.

The 'Drop All' items is very annoying since many times I need to double click 'Get All' many times to get all objects. Not sure why probably something that will be blamed on mouse bug which work everywhere but EL.

On adding keys for mixing i think great idea. As i have a few friends who hand functions not good like normal. One in fact has to tell the computer what to do. Like command click key no 1 etc. If could be set up I know a few more who would love to play if they can get it set so they can play.

Candi

From what I gather here, the biggest problem in adding keyboard shortcuts etc. is not technical (see above), but the possibility of macroing (automated game play, forbidden by the rules).

I can see where some of the suggestions would be required for some people, so a question for radu/Entropy:

in the case of a handicapped player would it be acceptable to use a modified client after obtaining permission?

Yes, this might allow or necessitate some form of macroing for some characters, and as such modifications have a tendency to escape...

Edited by revi

Agree with Korrode. On a programmers view I really do not see how this hotkey make it much easier to macro then having it to do with a mouseclick.

The people still need to get the items from bag/storage into inventory and out again. Even if the buttons get all drop all sto all would get hotkeys? the Programming work to get items into the inventory still would be a factor that stopps the macroing, and in the other way around if i managed to make this not to be my problem i would allready have large part of the code needed to macro the automatic mixing too. So who would want to macro would macro if the feature is there or not.

On the other hand, having such things done with the keyboard would make mixing for people not using macros much better and relax as they could use it in combination of feeding and mix all button clicking

Right now i mix having my mouse hover over the inventory mixall button, eat with hotkey and press the mouse after i ate, until i need refreshed items that i would load then in

making the mix button a key would result in beeing able to eat and miy with one hand while using the mouse to faster load items into inventory, and so mix a fraction of a second faster

As a programmer and someone who has seen a certain other game which I won't mention right now, it would be nice if we could actually design our own windows and set hotkeys for them and then we could all customize the stuff to taste. Then, if a person has a custom keyboard or gamer keyboard or custom mouse, we can assign the tasks to the keys/buttons. We could also easily have layout design competitions. Of course, this is not what was suggested, but really goes beyond it.

And about "Get All".....I always thought there should be a button for it under the quickslots on the right. lol

Edited by nathanstenzel

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people using macros. Entropy caught one the other day that broke his macro by accidentally moving a window so his mouse click for storage stopped working.

He has the ultimate saw in what should or should not be allowed in the way of controls to make things easier. After all, we want people to be involved playing the game, not just tapping keys.

After all, we want people to be involved playing the game, not just tapping keys.

Yes point taken, but in this instance we're simply requesting a keyboard shortcut where a mouse click would usually be done. Not like it's going to seriously shift gameplay.

Mix all hot key will help summoning too, you could move around a little bit and use key to summon, instead of keeping your mouse cursor on inventory... which is very annoying in combat situation.