Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Guild storage protocol/conduit proposal

In the light of the recent spartan_Warrior LNX bot scam, I propose the following protocol for the storage bot hosts:

1. Have a list of fully trusted users (the fewer the better).

2. When anyone want to withdraw from the bot, make them have to request a requisite form from one of the trusted users.

a. The person who wishes to withdraw sends a PM to one of the trusted users, such as: /trusted_users I want to withdraw 50 hydro bars from the bot.

b. The trusted user PMs the bot: /bot allow player_name withdraw quantity item.

c. The person who wishes to withdraw goes to the bot and withdraws that quantity.

This way, only the fully trusted users (such as the guild master) can allow withdrawals.

The trusted users should also be allowed to set quantities for certain items that don't require requisite forms.

The trusted users should also be allowed to set a quantity of gold coins (or equivalent in items) each guild member is allowed to withdraw per day without a requisite form.

Just wanted to mention that LNX did consider fail safes such as this to limit who and what could take/be taken from the bot (we even discussed creating our own sto bot code) but decided not to limit quantity taken in case there happened to be a joule day or a NND, etc. We didn't want anyone to be limited as to what they could do on good days like that. The project was 10 people working on 1000 hydro bars, the least annoying and limiting thing to do was allow all 10 members unlimited access to make the project as simple and unannoying as possible. Unfortunately for us we placed our trust in the one bad apple that ruined our barrel.

I could think of several failsafes that could possibly work, but no matter what you do someone will find a way to abuse the system. Nothing is perfect, and the only way is putting your neck on the line and your trust out there. You could make the bot only allow 50 S2E ings out at a time and to get 50 more s2e ings, you would need to put 50 s2e's in (if its joule/recycling). Less for hydro (10 at a time, more for FE (10k at a time). A couple other things could be done, if you wanted to be creative with your coding.

I'm totally shocked by the way SW answered... How can you? Omgosh nvm I'll just shut up...

Haven't you heard of pr0 thieves and code crackers being hired by security companies? That's why they boast about their exploits in spite of any potential repercussions. :brooding:

I could think of several failsafes that could possibly work, but no matter what you do someone will find a way to abuse the system. Nothing is perfect, and the only way is putting your neck on the line and your trust out there. You could make the bot only allow 50 S2E ings out at a time and to get 50 more s2e ings, you would need to put 50 s2e's in (if its joule/recycling). Less for hydro (10 at a time, more for FE (10k at a time). A couple other things could be done, if you wanted to be creative with your coding.

Would also like to point out that everything SW just suggested here was exactly what the LNX code geeks were talking about in GM when they were talking about writing a specific LNX sto bot code. No original SW ideas here.

Haven't you heard of pr0 thieves and code crackers being hired by security companies? That's why they boast about their exploits in spite of any potential repercussions. :brooding:

Umm, pr0 thieves by definition make a living from their activities and generally don't get caught, the best code crackers find a weakness and develop a proof of concept, they also don't get caught doing things that could get them in trouble (at least most of the time).

Would also like to point out that everything SW just suggested here was exactly what the LNX code geeks were talking about in GM when they were talking about writing a specific LNX sto bot code. No original SW ideas here.

Like that's never happened before...

( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_and_Newton_calculus_controversy?wasRedirected=true )

Another thing could be done where the bot gives value IDs to each item, and adds them up before the trade. No transactions over 100kgc.

Umm, pr0 thieves by definition make a living from their activities and generally don't get caught, the best code crackers find a weakness and develop a proof of concept, they also don't get caught doing things that could get them in trouble (at least most of the time).

Yea, the police even checked all their tradelogs across multiple IPs, lucky ducks got away with it...

Help me out here, really. I am considering a bot that will "trade" freely with any and all players - with severe limitations. For example: 10 items per trade, 10 trades per hour. Is it going to be too much to track?