Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anamir

Avoiding boring daily quests

I dont know if its too hard to implement but i allways missed the "pretending" element that is in almost all RPG games. I thought maybe we could "try to lie" to Haildir that you already made the job avoiding the dayly quest that you dont want to do (like boars or imps or small spiders for those with 120+ a/d). I thought that maybe we could put the money that the NPC that is asking for the job would pay for the job in inventory and go back to Haildir and say that you already finished the job. So some test could be made, taking the crossatribute "charm" in relevance, and if you pass in the test you would avoid the quest of that day. If you dont pass, Haildir could show himself upset with you and you lose 2 days (maybe more) of dayly quest of Haildir.

I know my enslish sucks but i think you can understand what i mean ...

Not a bad idea. You miss out on the experience and money reward so no huge advantage to the player. It would need some tweaking but generally a good idea.

I wouldn't say boring though. The daily quests have been a great addition to the game. But I see a use for this for quests such as skunks where you may spend a whole day looking for them.

Edited by hussam

Thankfully I haven't gotten the skunks... but I despise the boar quest, lol!! Anyway, I like this idea.

I am afraid the "boring" quests are the reason why the reward for the "good" quests can be so good. By forcing you to do the boring ones, the time spent on quests and their rewards average over the long run. If you could skip the "boring" ones, the average would be skewed up (you would only do those with good time/xp ratio); to keep things balanced, the reward for the "good" quests should be seriously reduced.

Paying to Haidir just the quest money would be peanuts - often, a few 100s gc, which are certainly not the reason why people do these quests - a much higher (i.e., 20x) "cancellation fee" would be in order.

Or, if you decide to skip a quest, you could be banned from taking more for a RL week or so (a month in EL), since Haidir will eventually find out that you lied to him! :)

Doing a test on Charme is also a good idea, if Charme were used in-game as a general indication of charisma when interacting with NPCs (i.e., to get discounts at trade NPCs if you have high Charme). Unfortunately, it is used essentially for summoning, so that kind of test would give an unfair advantage to a certain class of players (pr0 summoners) without any particular reason. The social view of Charme would have been nice though! :icon13:

P.S.: @Anamir: Your English is pretty good, no worries!

Edited by Usl

Hi all,

Hmm...in addition to this thread, why has the choice been made to 'attach' a quest to a character?

For example, IRL Haidir wouldn't mind who is doing the task but would be concerned if the job gets done.

Why not give out some sort of 'Daily Quest Card from Haidir/<NPC>', this card could be placed in inventory or sto (or placed somewhere on the HUB, but it needs to be somewhere so the player can see what quests he has to do but where it could also be removed from upon completing the quest) and in such a way they can be traded with (with the restricion one player can only have one card for a specific daily quest).

On the other hand, one could however have more quest-cards but for other daily quests.

Personnally I would like to see the right side slots (HUB) to have two more additional slots for quest-cards and a 'quest'-page in storage (with slots) so the player can easily see the quest he has to do, atm I sometimes forget I took a quest.

Non-tradeable quest could have another color than tradeable (daily) quests and perhaps it could/would even be possible to trade a quest that's already been done but hasn't been 'turned in' to the NPC.

IMHO, This would make the game much more realistic.

In that way, if a high lvl player gets a daily he doesn't want to do, he can look for another player (lower lvl?) and pay him to do the quest.

Example, if I would get the boar quest from Haidir and decided I wouldn't want to do it, I could advertise my card, something like, "wanted: player who wants to do the boar-quest for haidir, I pay you 1k of gc if you take my quest-card".

The high lvl player would still have to wait another (RL)-day before he could ask haidir for a new quest (cooldown period) but doesn't have to do the 'boring'-quest and the low(er) lvl player who takes the job gets an extra reward (from haidir for completing the quest and from the player from who he takes the quest-card).

Of course the low lvl player couldn't already have a daily quest from haidir or ask for a new one because he has agreed to take the one from the high-lvl player.

In that way both players would be happy with the solution, there are no 'extra' quests handed out, the players have more insight in the quests they took on and....this would make a whole new market in EL.

Comments/suggestions anyone?

Regards, MichelAngelo (ingame)

Hi all,

Hmm...in addition to this thread, why has the choice been made to 'attach' a quest to a character?

For example, IRL Haidir wouldn't mind who is doing the task but would be concerned if the job gets done.

Why not give out some sort of 'Daily Quest Card from Haidir/<NPC>', this card could be placed in inventory or sto (or placed somewhere on the HUB, but it needs to be somewhere so the player can see what quests he has to do but where it could also be removed from upon completing the quest) and in such a way they can be traded with (with the restricion one player can only have one card for a specific daily quest).

On the other hand, one could however have more quest-cards but for other daily quests.

Personnally I would like to see the right side slots (HUB) to have two more additional slots for quest-cards and a 'quest'-page in storage (with slots) so the player can easily see the quest he has to do, atm I sometimes forget I took a quest.

Non-tradeable quest could have another color than tradeable (daily) quests and perhaps it could/would even be possible to trade a quest that's already been done but hasn't been 'turned in' to the NPC.

IMHO, This would make the game much more realistic.

In that way, if a high lvl player gets a daily he doesn't want to do, he can look for another player (lower lvl?) and pay him to do the quest.

Example, if I would get the boar quest from Haidir and decided I wouldn't want to do it, I could advertise my card, something like, "wanted: player who wants to do the boar-quest for haidir, I pay you 1k of gc if you take my quest-card".

The high lvl player would still have to wait another (RL)-day before he could ask haidir for a new quest (cooldown period) but doesn't have to do the 'boring'-quest and the low(er) lvl player who takes the job gets an extra reward (from haidir for completing the quest and from the player from who he takes the quest-card).

Of course the low lvl player couldn't already have a daily quest from haidir or ask for a new one because he has agreed to take the one from the high-lvl player.

In that way both players would be happy with the solution, there are no 'extra' quests handed out, the players have more insight in the quests they took on and....this would make a whole new market in EL.

Comments/suggestions anyone?

Regards, MichelAngelo (ingame)

Well thought out - complex but would bring a great dimension to the dailies!

However I can see potential abuse with players just making alts to get the quests and sell them.

Well thought out - complex but would bring a great dimension to the dailies!

However I can see potential abuse with players just making alts to get the quests and sell them.

Thank you Raz, potential abuse, yes, that would always be possible, personally I think the solution is not to (try to) prohibit that sort of behaviour but just make it less profitable for the cheater, just some thoughts;

- only allow 1 daily (per NPC) per IP for each RL-day

- Daily Quests can only be taken when the character has an OA > X

- Daily Quests can only be sold when the OA from a character is OA > X

- The character requires a new Perk (Trader) to be able to sell quests, that Perk could cost some PP and/or (lets say) 10k of gc

When using these requirements it is still possible to fraud but perfect systems don't exist, it's more a matter of "Is it still worthwhile" when one has to spend at least two weeks off OA buildup on a character before it can start selling quests, well yeah sure you can make a 100 alts for selling, but that'll take you 200 weeks of OA-leveling (almost 4 years), is that worth the effort, don't think so.

And if you would combine some of the 'rules' for this you would even make it more harder to 'cheat'

Regards, MichelAngelo

Edited by MichelAngelo

All I know is I don't do the daily quests because they're not worth my time, not by a long shot, they're so far below being worth my time that I don't even do them just occasionally to break up the grind.

So I'm for any idea that allows us to get out of the crap ones, Usl's suggested ~week of not being able to take another daily would be better than nothing, but I stand by my opinion that everything doesn't have to be mean and nasty and a punishment. Usl said he believe's they're balanced in their current form, that the reward for the good ones needs to be offset by pointless time consumption of the bad ones... I disagree with this, thus in my opinion is that only disallowing doing a daily for like the next EL day would be fine.

Just telling Haidir you're not interested in that job but want to hear about others sounds fine to me. :P

An option to pay 10-20k gc to Haidir to cancel your current daily with a penalty of not being able to start another for 1-2 RL days? I don't see how it would hurt the game much.

If you had to lie to Haidir, and give him his "cut" of the gc the NPC client had supposedly given you (assuming the NPC client usually pays Haidir as well) to pay for the job: chance of success could be done like Tankel/HeavyBeard repair chance. Success= wait the normal 1 RL day to take another. Failure= either wait longer OR keep the quest until completed. Or for another RL day before trying to lie again. Either way you lose the gc.

A way out of daily quests seems like a good idea, if you take into consideration lower level players, extremely high level players, and players who don't have the opportunity to log in that often but enjoy dailys.

Perhaps the dailys with the best rewards would need to be made a bit more rare, and a few more mid-level quests would need to be added? Would people be willing to make such a bargain for a way out?

Another option would be that if you get caught cheating to get out of a Haidir daily,

you'd have to do the next one for free: no a/d exp bonus, no gc.

And that one might very well be the one you prefer doing, too bad...

(Haidir isn't too fond of people trying to cheat him, so you have to show him some sign

you really want to work for him, he is running a business after all: pest control.

Not to mention that not doing the job you contracted for gets HIM angry customers ;) )

If i'm going to be charged gc or forced to do a quest for free, i'll just continue to not do dailies :P

Time delay before being able to do dailies again is the only acceptable penalty.

That's just me ofc, some people might be happy with those ideas.

well daily quest are not boring, whatever u take, if u think the reward is not good, just spend the time u are bored in game to do it, not your "productive" time. Haidir is the not to level you, even though some quests give great exp, a/d trainers dont really expect from haidir to gove them a great quest the spand time training and if the quest is good even better.

Anyway i really enjoy sometimes seeing ppl complaining about quests "omg small spiders" sometimes i do that too, but its kinda funny. People tend to get greedy and want more, i like haidir as it is, with its bads and goods

well daily quest are not boring, whatever u take, if u think the reward is not good, just spend the time u are bored in game to do it, not your "productive" time.

I don't have any of this "bored time" you speak of.

If i'm interacting with the EL window i'll be doing something more worthwhile than going and doing rats daily.

I just wanted to suggest this as I saw cancel task at new daily

well for Xaquelina set me an awful task 70 cactus long long long time ago I'd still like to start making harv dailis

don't know for how much time I haven't :( I think around 3-4 months

well I have only 180EMU OA 98 all PP spent wisely I like them where they are

I'm not crying just saying it would be nice I could get more

or different designed characters that aren't fighters would get such an daily, and still could continue doing it just skipped such Quests

how imp-lent it...

her shipment is already late, and you should be the solution, so if ings aren't brought in 48 hours only after that you may say skip the quest.

and say:

"I'm really sorry I can't get those ings"

and after that again w8 for 48 hours

"I'm really disappointed that you couldn't get those ings"

if you try again before 48 hours

"I'm still mad at you I don't need your distrusted service"

after 48 hours you gain a penalty

"let's see if you're able to get me simplest flowers and my shipment is already late"

(would mean 1. lvl flowers and penalty to EXP as that's when you gain very little exp for daily)

only after that she trusts you again

SUM 48+48+24

minimum penalty 120 hours if you cannot do the Quest

so if you w8 longer than 48 hours after 1. penalty you still need to w8 for 48+24 hours

I hope I was reasonable enough

I think it's a reasonable solution. May it be similarly in a/d daily. ~2 weeks ago i got tigers and with my build they're too hard for me. It would be nice to bypass this mission.

I think it's a reasonable solution. May it be similarly in a/d daily. ~2 weeks ago i got tigers and with my build they're too hard for me. It would be nice to bypass this mission.

Just get a friend to help you with them.

I just wanted to suggest this as I saw cancel task at new daily

well for Xaquelina set me an awful task 70 cactus long long long time ago I'd still like to start making harv dailis

don't know for how much time I haven't :( I think around 3-4 months

well I have only 180EMU OA 98 all PP spent wisely I like them where they are

I'm not crying just saying it would be nice I could get more

or different designed characters that aren't fighters would get such an daily, and still could continue doing it just skipped such Quests

Easiest solution for the problem?

Get more EMU.

A little harder way to solve your problem:

Buy some CFs and Mule glyphs and as Radu suggested shapeshift and haul em that way.

@Learg

There are several way to kill a creature in EL not just the click and attack way and i have posted them in other "I am too good to kill rats because my A/D lvl is so high and there for i should be able to abort the dailies i don't want to do"/"The daily i got is too boring to do i want a better one so i want to abort bla bla" posts so not gona bother with it again..

@Learg

There are several way to kill a creature in EL not just the click and attack way and i have posted them in other "I am too good to kill rats because my A/D lvl is so high and there for i should be able to abort the dailies i don't want to do"/"The daily i got is too boring to do i want a better one so i want to abort bla bla" posts so not gona bother with it again..

Why do you play EL? I play it for entertainment. I don't play it as a test of my character, I don't play it as a way to confirm my ability to plod through with whatever is "my lot". I will not stick with a randomly generated unrewarding quest out of a purely artificial sense of obligation.

'nuff said.

You can always level up a mule a bit to carry the cactus, no?

yes I agree

well I just asked as I kind of miss that daily well I probably won't use it for few years

Just get a friend to help you with them.

I'm sorry this is not possible as his char cannot do this Quest instead of me.

I must carry all 70 cactus my self

yes mule I did it before for 120 EMU

but now I guess I won't use that daily for another 1 maybe 2 years OR if my EMU gets higher by that time by OA

EDIT:

+ I think this is harv Quest not mule must Quest or BIG emu must/test Quest just my opinion

Edited by psihokiller4