Eternal Lands Official Forums
Hubabuba

win 7 64 bit

I have this same problem, however, there is no error message saying it failed to connect. It simply does nothing when I click "done."

It also doesn't say "Welcome to Eternal Lands." When I start the client, the message is stuck at "Connecting to server..."

Eventually, it says I've gone afk.

Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot.png

I doubt this has to do with my computer, I'm thinking it's the server connection, but here are my system specs just in case:

Processor: AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-core Processor, 2.10 GHz

RAM: 4GB

System Type: 64 bit

Hard Drive: 37 GB of free space

I have this same problem, however, there is no error message saying it failed to connect. It simply does nothing when I click "done."

It also doesn't say "Welcome to Eternal Lands." When I start the client, the message is stuck at "Connecting to server..."

Eventually, it says I've gone afk.

Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot.png

I doubt this has to do with my computer, I'm thinking it's the server connection, but here are my system specs just in case:

Processor: AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-core Processor, 2.10 GHz

RAM: 4GB

System Type: 64 bit

Hard Drive: 37 GB of free space

Sounds odd - I use Win 7 64 bit and normally have no problem.

I find if I use wifi in a hotel and set it to a public location - EL refuses to connect. Changing it to home/work fixes it - or oddly trying 5 or 6 sessions... no idea but eventually it does work

My WiFi connection is set to home, so that can't be it. I've also added EL to the safe programs list for the windows firewall just in case that was the problem, but it still doesn't work. I am utterly confuzzled :confused:

Just another shot in the dark:

Try to open a command line/DOS box or however it's called now under Windows 7.

Then type there "telnet the-green-leaf.de 2000"

You should at least get the Welcome message of my MUD server, if you get nothing, your problem is that port 2000 is blocked somehow, maybe by some firewall, virus scanner, your internet provider.

Piper

Forgiven -

I just tried resetting my router. No dice :(

Piper -

Long time, no talk :)

I tried using the command line, but is there anything I should type before that command? It says telnet isn't a valid command. Here's a screenshot of the prompt:

prompt.png

Sorry if I'm being kind of computer stupid.. I know how to play the games, not troubleshoot them :P

[EDIT]

Okay, I found how to enable Telnet here: http://www.fettesps.com/windows-7-enable-telnet/

I typed "telnet the-green-leaf.de 2000" in and it said "connecting to telnet..." for a split second before going to a blank prompt. After that, all I had was a blank prompt window with a blinking cursor.

I'm going to mess with my antivirus now and see if that does anything.

[second Edit]

OK I'm 90% sure I found the problem. I checked the el.ini file and it said it was using port 2001. This should be port 2000, correct? Anyways, I tried changing it to port 2000, but a pop-up window announced that access is denied. Anyone know how to get around that?

[Third Edit]

I managed to give myself permission to modify the file (if there was a puffed chest emoticon, there would be around five of them right here), and I changed it to port 2000. Started up the EL client and... nothing. The problem persists, but at least I've learned how to change file permissions and whatnot.

Edited by Promose

@Promose - from what you have posted you are NOT connecting with the server; you would get a "green text" message after "Connecting to server..." if successful.

Port 2001 should be fine. Just above that line is the name of the server you are trying to connect to - it should be "#server_address = game.eternal-lands.com".

From the DOS prompt use "ping game.eternal-lands.com" (no quotes) to make sure you can access the server. You should get a series of reply messages (time to access) if all is well. If that fails you're dealing with a system setup limitation, perhaps your firewall.

Are you using a "short-cut" to launch the game? make sure the "Start in" (working directory) is set to the folder/path where you installed EL.

I use 32 bit system so there may be 64 bit specific issues but from what I've heard should work same for everyone...

Hope that helps.

Guest Promose

I pinged the server with the command prompt and got the reply messages with the time it took to send/receive the data, so I am able to connect to the server. I rechecked the el.ini file, and the server address is game.eternal-lands.com. I am using a shortcut to reach the game, and it appears to all be set up correctly. Just to be sure, I started the game using the el.exe file in the root folder, and still couldn't connect to the server. I just don't understand why it isn't working :confused:

I appreciate the help guys. We will get this figured out! :inquisitive:

I apologize in advance for suggesting this... but - set the shortcut/exe to run in "comparability mode" just to make sure it isn't a Windows 7 64bit process problem :)

Right-click on shortcut for properties; select "Comparability" tab for options...

Good luck, and good gaming once you get it running.

Ha don't apologize for suggesting anything. I need any and all suggestions. I tried running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode, Windows Vista compatibility mode, and both running as the administrator. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the client and still nothing.

Edited by Promose

One last, pretty improbable, shot in the dark: In Windows 7 there's an option to run programs with administrator privileges. Have you tried that for el.exe?

Guest Inspirer

i had same problem, internet was working good, i work as systems engineer, n know how to configure network ;)

so, i didnt solve the problem, just uninstalled the game

btw, i use USB WiMAX device as internet connection, so, Windows says that i have no Internet access (Unidentified network) but still goes updating via Windows Update service, lol

mb, the game checks the internet connection first via Windows services?

ill check the source code, mb, if ill found out something that can help with solving the problem, ill write soon

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.