Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SolarStar

Standard Policy for guilds

To the el community

As you all know we care about rules. beside the offical rules there are the unoffical or social rules. Now every half honest guild has to write in the guild description: we dont allow bagjumping, scamming etc etc . And here comes my idea: Why not make an agreement that goes for all friendly and honest guilds. So that you can read in the guild description: "Our guild follows the 123-policy from 17 oct. 2010" . (with reference)

In the first step i would like to collect some ideas and opinions. You can write what is important to you or make a short summary if you wish.

Ofc guilds are unique. and they don't want to follow every rule or make an exception. So I will want to make paragraphs. Then you can read "Our guild makes an exception to §9 §11 and §14 or something like that.

What do you gain from a common agreement ? Well, once everyone knows what is in the agreement they can quickly determine if the guild is rather "good" or "evil". And ofc you don't have to write down everything in your guild rules and maybe worry that you have forgotten something.

Now give me some good ideas :)

(for the evil side, you can have your own contract. policy for thieves etc..)

I little bit political and it looks like it is written by a lawyer, but something like this could be useful.

I figure it would be something like "we adhere to pk policies 1,4,6,7 and death bag policies 1,2,3 and neutrality policies 1,2,3 and ethics policies 1,2,3 and conversation policies 1,4,6,7,9". Something like that.

As long as the rules are split up into pieces where individual pieces to be agreed upon or declined without reposting similar rules as new ones, it should be ok.

no thank you.

I would not agree to such a policy for my guild, and even if i were to ever join a proper guild again, if they had agreed to such a policy, I would not join that guild.

We have game rules, and people have their personal view on things, I'm very much against 'enforcing' a book of rules on people the way you are suggesting.

While I believe that guilds with a sustainable future will normally have a similar set of strict rules, it is better that each guild writes their own rules. If we have a set of 20 rules and each guild chooses to abide by a number of them, then it makes guilds lose the individual community spirit otherwise we might as well just have 4 guilds in the whole of eternal lands. So, no thank you.

Edited by hussam

Now every half honest guild has to write in the guild description: we dont allow bagjumping, scamming etc etc .

No they don't.

Anyone interested enough to want to know the guild's stance on such issues can just hit F2 and check the rules on the guild's website.

I don't see any point to this. IMO it's better that each guild writes the specifics of their rules themselves, to ensure slight variations on views/definitions/etc. are understood.

Edited by Korrode

It would just take more time for someone to find out what the set or rules are, when normally all you have to do is go to their website and read their own set of rules normally explained quite well.

I think everyone's being a little harsh. If you want to write it, write it. I know that my guild won't use it, but that doesn't mean others wont.

That sounds way too political for me :P. I hate guild politics and too strict guild rules anyway.

EDIT: Also, our guild info is already as long as possible and we couldn't fit in any rule stuff without removing valuable information :(

Edited by FeLkkU

That sounds way too political for me :P. I hate guild politics and too strict guild rules anyway.

Same. And newbs would never know what do the rules mean if there's just "we follow rules 1,2,3,4..." in guild info. It's just easier and clearer to write "No bagjumping, no scamming etc.".

I've only been GM of LLL for about a month, now, so I'm still working my way through many of the ins and outs, but, I can see some value to this idea. One of the things that attracted me to LLL, back when LadyBea was still GM, was its list of Allied Guilds: that told me quite a bit about LLL.

On the other hand, I can understand the objections raised here...many of us have very specific Guild rules about certain things, and it could be difficult to fit everyone into categories or rules.

Still....and interesting idea, and I'm curious to see where it goes....

Gil_Manel

Hey ppl, I never said everyone is going to like it. And not everyone will use it. I will work out a set of rules with 3 or 4 voluteering guilds. And from that point on more will follow :P

Call me a Nerd, but that's what i do. ^^<

Edited by SolarStar

I like your Idea SolarStar it is interesting. Having a list of standard polices that 1 could apply to a guild as they see fit would save the time of a guild panel creating their own. I also like the idea of picking and choosing what policies that a group would like for a guild. A question for you. Where would the list of guild policies be placed that way they could be referenced? Would they be on this Official site?

In "My Opinion" no one would like a forced set of policies but i don't believe that is what you are speaking about here.

witch hunt

There needs to be a person being in some way persecuted for something to be a witch hunt. They're talking about making standardised rules.

Edited by Korrode

What i meant deciding what is "good" and "evil" with community rules that will be written down can cause confusion, i dont want to see in a game, ppl get hunted just because they are in a guild that is determined as "bad". maybe i am mistaken maybe not.

As I said in-game i probably wouldn't have even bothered posting over seeming misuse of a phrase if i hadn't just been having a big discussion about where the line is between invasive laws and witch-hunting.

If you're saying having a standardised guild ruleset such as this is likely to result in more witch-hunts, if anything i agree.